Buying a new tractor, give me some advice!

/ Buying a new tractor, give me some advice! #11  
I forgot to mention, I would not recommend a hydrostatic transmission. I have a gear transmission and think that's the way to go.

/ Buying a new tractor, give me some advice! #12  
I have 28 acres with an 8 acre field and a 1/4 mile driveway. My land is very hilly and the drive way is up and down with a fairly steep drop at the road. I have a New Holland 35 HP 4 X 4 diesel compact. If your land is pretty flat, I'd say it's a good tractor. It has good power but It's wheel base is somewhat small and with the compacts you sit higher so they are tippy. If I had to do it over I would not have gotten the compact.
Do you have your rear tires loaded and set out at their widest? I'd try that and see if you still feel as tippy. I know I wouldn't like my tractor on my hills with a narrow track and unloaded tires.

To OP,
Kioti seems to offer good bang for your buck, but I'd limit your tractor brand choices to good dealers in your area. JD is nice but if the dealer is 40 miles away or your local dealer treats you like a second class citizen because your wasting his time with "toy" tractors, look at another brand. Also I'd get an HST if possible if your going to do lots of loader work or make sure the tractor has some low low gears for tough brush hogging so you don't have to ride the clutch alot.

/ Buying a new tractor, give me some advice! #13  
I am looking at buying a new compact tractor. I have 22 acres to maintain and will be using it to brushhog, maintain a 1/4 mile drive, cleanup brush, and put in the occaisional deer plot. I am thinking that something in the 30 hp range will work for me. 4x4 and a loader are a must. I'd like a skid steer QA and a set of rear remotes would be nice. I dont nesessarily need HST but would prefer at least a shuttle. What brands and models would all recommend for the best value? Also, is there a certain time of year to really find a good deal?

Unless you plan to do the servicing/repairs yourself, I'd limit my choices to dealers within say 50 mile radius.

How many acres need to be mowed? Mowing 22 acres with a 5-6 foot hog would be two long days in the seat for me.

My big tractor is a 2008 Mahindra 5525 (54 hp engine, 45 hp pto, 2WD, gear tranny 8F/2R, power steering, triple hydraulic remotes) with the ML250 FEL (6ft bucket, 2950 lb lift to 10.5 ft height, SS/QA option). Cost about $19K new. I mow my 6-acre hayfield with a 6-ft Hawkline brush hog.

Good luck.

/ Buying a new tractor, give me some advice! #14  
Do you have your rear tires loaded and set out at their widest? I'd try that and see if you still feel as tippy. I know I wouldn't like my tractor on my hills with a narrow track and unloaded tires.

Yeah, you're right.... ballasting is part of the problem.

/ Buying a new tractor, give me some advice!
Well I just sold my 42 hp 2wd mahindra. It was really too much to haul around easy and I really like the idea of 4wd. I'm still hung up on these LS tractors. Any opinions on them? I like the idea of the warranty. Is HST really the way to go?

The local LS dealer quoted me 13,900 for the s3010, 14500.00 for the g3033, and 15,500 for the g3038

/ Buying a new tractor, give me some advice! #16  
in the 60hp range an under,id always go with the HST hands down everytime.its easier to run than a gear an your not clutching all the time depending on what your doing.

/ Buying a new tractor, give me some advice! #17  
I have 20 acres and take care of it with a 30HP with 22 PTO HP. I use the tractor for brush hogging 10 acres of pasture with a 5' brush hog and mowing about 7 acres of yard with a 72" RFM. I used a post hole digger with it to put up 2,000' of new fence. It handles a loader nicely and this tractor seems right sized for my twenty acres.

/ Buying a new tractor, give me some advice! #18  
Have you ever thought of a NorTrac tractor from Great Plains or Northern Tool. A new 40HP with loader for $17,000 or a 50HP with loader for $21,000 and free shipping. I don't know anything about a dealer network or where they are made, but something to think about if you are limited to $15,000.

/ Buying a new tractor, give me some advice! #19  
... 30HP with 22 PTO HP. I use the tractor for .... with a 5' brush hog
So maybe the 5 HP 'requirement' per foot of hog (or in my case flail) is a LITTLE overkill? I was thinking I was going to need 25 hp PTO minimum for a 5' flail. That seemed to put me in the range of a 35 HP tractor which, of course, is more money.

/ Buying a new tractor, give me some advice! #20  
So maybe the 5 HP 'requirement' per foot of hog (or in my case flail) is a LITTLE overkill? I was thinking I was going to need 25 hp PTO minimum for a 5' flail. That seemed to put me in the range of a 35 HP tractor which, of course, is more money.

I think a 5HP per foot of hog is a very good rule of thumb to cover all situations. If I were mowing 6' tall weeds and brush with 2"-3" saplings in it my tractor would be way under powered for a 5' rotary cutter. But my pastures are flat and finished and I cut them three to four times a year. I sized my tractor specifically for this twenty acres that we live on now. I was on a budget and chose just enough tractor that I could afford and still be able to afford the HST and 4WD option. I have no experience with flails at all and can not comment on them.