Buying advice - tractor for horse stable

/ Buying advice - tractor for horse stable #21  
If the goal here is to keep the operator happy so that they will perform more work then get her a new tractor...:jump:

If she wants to stick with green, I would highly recommend the JD 4520 for all of her stable needs.

/ Buying advice - tractor for horse stable #22  
Not necessarily...depends on the CUT.

My LS is listed as lifting 2,638lbs (going off memory), and it can lift 1,100lbs easily....not even remotely near the edge. Yes, it's on the high side of CUT FEL capacity, but there are others with more.

When I made the counterweight for the LS, I bought a block of steel at the local scrap yard, and they weighed it at 1,300lbs exactly (we hauled it in his dump truck). I had nothing on the 3pt, and the forks on the FEL when I went over to my neighbor's house to get it all welded together. We dumped the block out of his truck, and I picked it up with the forks, and moved it into his shop. The pallet forks I have are 400lbs+, so, I was lifting at the very minimum 1,700lbs with no real problems at all. Yes, the rear tires were light, and yes, it would have been better with some weight on the 3pt, but I didn't want to make two trips (planning to drive over, weld it up, and drive back with it on the 3pt). Now, with the counterweight, I can lift things that are quite a bit heavier, and not even lift the rear tires....an 1,100lb round bale wouldn't be much of a challenge.

so your telling me you would reccommend using a cut for regular moving of large round bales with a (assumed) novice operator? (Only reason I phrased is that way is that our barn help seems to be on a revolving door policy) Throw in some mud/snow/off camber situations and to me it seems like a poor recipe. Maybe I'm reading to much into this but I don't think it sounds like a good idea. Now, I don't know the exact situation the OP is in, but given the choice between a cut and a utility tractor, I'll take the bigger machine regardless of what the loader specs say. WE also have a ground driven manure spreader that we use for cleaning stalls out in the barn, and the L3400 struggles in mid range to pull it uphill at any sort of speed to spread the manure very well.

All I was driving at was make sure the capability of the tractor covers all of the needs with a little extra. That saafety margin looks great on the dealer's lot but shrinks quite a bit when the work starts.

/ Buying advice - tractor for horse stable #23  
so your telling me you would reccommend using a cut for regular moving of large round bales with a (assumed) novice operator? (Only reason I phrased is that way is that our barn help seems to be on a revolving door policy) Throw in some mud/snow/off camber situations and to me it seems like a poor recipe. Maybe I'm reading to much into this but I don't think it sounds like a good idea. Now, I don't know the exact situation the OP is in, but given the choice between a cut and a utility tractor, I'll take the bigger machine regardless of what the loader specs say. WE also have a ground driven manure spreader that we use for cleaning stalls out in the barn, and the L3400 struggles in mid range to pull it uphill at any sort of speed to spread the manure very well.

All I was driving at was make sure the capability of the tractor covers all of the needs with a little extra. That saafety margin looks great on the dealer's lot but shrinks quite a bit when the work starts.

Good point. I can't remember if the OP wanted gear or HST trans, but most companies don't offer a utility sized tractor with HST (not sure I'd anyone really does, so that might be a deal breaker for a utility sized machine if the OP wants HST.

/ Buying advice - tractor for horse stable #24  
Red Neck, your Kubota only weighs 2500 lbs or so when a DK-40 will be over 5K and lift 2700

/ Buying advice - tractor for horse stable #25  
Good point. I can't remember if the OP wanted gear or HST trans, but most companies don't offer a utility sized tractor with HST (not sure I'd anyone really does, so that might be a deal breaker for a utility sized machine if the OP wants HST.

That's what I wanted to buy but couldn't find anything. This summer when I was shopping, the biggest tractors I found with HST were the Kubota L5740 and Mahindra 6010. LS's biggest was the XR4046, and Kioti's was the DK50SE.

/ Buying advice - tractor for horse stable #26  
Edit: Duplicate post.

/ Buying advice - tractor for horse stable #27  
That's what I wanted to buy but couldn't find anything. This summer when I was shopping, the biggest tractors I found with HST were the Kubota L5740 and Mahindra 6010. LS's biggest was the XR4046, and Kioti's was the DK50SE.

One more to add, the MF 1648, 52, 58 & 60. And I agree with you completely, I'm in the same boat. The problem with the kubota L5740 is that you are still stuck with the LA854 loader, which is the same as the lesser HP rated tractors in that line. That Mahindra 6010 has good power and loader specs, but it doesn't have adjustable 3pt arms, and need to be heavier. The MF 1660 has good specs also but ain't cheap.

What I would love is an LS U5030 (or the newer XU series) with an HST. that would probably be enough tractor for me for life, regardless of what I got myself into.

/ Buying advice - tractor for horse stable #28  
What I would love is an LS U5030 (or the newer XU series) with an HST. that would probably be enough tractor for me for life, regardless of what I got myself into.

"PROBABLY" is the key word.

/ Buying advice - tractor for horse stable #29  

I don't know what you were driving at, but what you very clearly said was that a SCUT wouldn't handle 1,100lb round bales (true), and that even a CUT would be right on the edge (false).

I'm not suggesting the OP do anything in particular, I was just pointing out that your comment was misleading. There are many CUTs that can handle an 1,100lb round bale with ease. My LS would weigh a bit over 5,000lbs with a hay spear on the FEL, then another 1,350lbs for the counterweight, a bit more for the hydraulic top link, etc, etc, and you're looking at a 6,400-6,500lb machine that can lift over 2,600lbs with the FEL. That means you'd be using the FEL at under 50% of it's capability when handling 1,100lb bales. If that leads to an unsafe situation, it's because someone did something really stupid.

The OP is currently using an old tractor to move the same bales, so whether the operators are skilled or not isn't going to change with a new machine, but it's almost certainly going to be far more capable, and thus safer (good chance the old Ford doesn't have ROPS).

The OP also stated they're on a budget, so that's going to make it hard to buy a newer, reliable, Utility tractor. Sure, it would be great if they were able to buy a really nice, much larger, Utility tractor, but that doesn't sound like it's in the cards. Also, the OP mentioned looking at machines that weigh from 2,000 to 3,000lbs as I recall, so we're already suggesting going up in size to a large CUT, which will increase the costs they're looking at.

Short version, yeah, I'm totally comfortable with the idea of a novice user moving 1,100lb round bales with a larger CUT, like I've described, so long as they get at least a little bit of safe usage advice (the OP did say the land was basically flat, which helps). If they were to do something dumb enough to cause a problem with a larger CUT, it would probably cause a similar problem with a Utility tractor as well.

/ Buying advice - tractor for horse stable #30  
. . .

I agree. Even if the U5030 was available with a hydraulic shuttle, I might have bought one. I really liked that tractor.