Tractor Sizing Buying new tractor, not sure what to get.

/ Buying new tractor, not sure what to get. #21  
I'm still thinking a JD 5085M open station or cab

/ Buying new tractor, not sure what to get.
Jeff,
I have a 4520 compact now and when I lived in MS we had a variety of tractors from 20 to 160 hp. That ground can be tough to plow and it is easy to stick a tractor deep (ask me how I know). It will take a 60 hp tractor to do a good job with your disc.

Iwannafish,
As you can well imagine how large a tractor you need depends on how much time you have to spend on these tasks. I don't think your budget of $40,000 is near enough for new equipment since the implements would be more than half of that in cat 1 sizes. I strongly recommend you buy a cab tractor with mfwd in what ever size and brand you decide on. There is a balance between the amount of time it takes vs. the cost of larger high production machinery that you will have to work out in your own mind. Nothng cheap about having to replace equipment and good luck with the sellers remorse and soon to be buyers remorse.

I would agree with others that a separate mower for the lawn areas is the way to go. An 80 hp tractor also seems like a good size with cat 2 implements.

If 40K wont do it, then I will go used. I sold a pair of JD 4960 MFWD tractors at auction in Febreuary for 20K each and a JD 4430 four post tractor for 7500. They were in top shape. Good, full sized, used may end up being my answer.

Advice for those interested.... When faced with an estate, just go slow, and think things out. In February, I had NO plans to return to the farm and saw no reason to hold onto a bunch of farm equipment. Now...different story.

/ Buying new tractor, not sure what to get. #23  
If 40K wont do it, then I will go used. I sold a pair of JD 4960 MFWD tractors at auction in Febreuary for 20K each and a JD 4430 four post tractor for 7500. They were in top shape. Good, full sized, used may end up being my answer.

Advice for those interested.... When faced with an estate, just go slow, and think things out. In February, I had NO plans to return to the farm and saw no reason to hold onto a bunch of farm equipment. Now...different story.

You really took a hit on those tractors and would guess on the rest of the equipment too. I would really be careful with the land sale or whatever else is left.

According to Tractorhouse.com the 4960 tractors with 67 listings averaged $33,761.00 at auction and average retail with 84 current listings is $49,308.00 The 4430 auctions with 110 listings averaged 9,845.00 and the current retail listings 72 average $16,142.00

If I were you I would go to the next few auctions in your locale to buy a used tractor. I am currently looking for a used 200 hp tractor in good shape and haven't seen anything in Deere selling that low.

Sorry for your loss.

/ Buying new tractor, not sure what to get.
You really took a hit on those tractors and would guess on the rest of the equipment too. I would really be careful with the land sale or whatever else is left.

According to Tractorhouse.com the 4960 tractors with 67 listings averaged $33,761.00 at auction and average retail with 84 current listings is $49,308.00 The 4430 auctions with 110 listings averaged 9,845.00 and the current retail listings 72 average $16,142.00

If I were you I would go to the next few auctions in your locale to buy a used tractor. I am currently looking for a used 200 hp tractor in good shape and haven't seen anything in Deere selling that low.

Sorry for your loss.

Come to a spring auction or two in Mississippi. There is a reason we rank 50th in almost every metric. I attended 3 sales that week with 3 different auction companies. The prices we got were in line with the prices at other area auctions.

/ Buying new tractor, not sure what to get. #25  
Come to a spring auction or two in Mississippi. There is a reason we rank 50th in almost every metric. I attended 3 sales that week with 3 different auction companies. The prices we got were in line with the prices at other area auctions.

I may do that, there is a lot more to pick from than in my locale. My mothers family is from Pike and Lincoln counties. Speaking of ranking and metrics in general I live in New Mexico now which is ranked 50th in per capita income, we are below MS. One of my best friends told me one day that the neighbors think I am rich. I said why? Is it because I have a small business and steady job? ROFLMAO.

/ Buying new tractor, not sure what to get. #26  
I'm still thinking a JD 5085M open station or cab

Nothing against the 5085, great tractor for what it is. It is a basic economy tractor in 85HP, seems it shines as a second tractor on a big operation or in low budget situations. The OP is selling 1000 acres of cropland, not to mention a collection of big farm machinery. At what cropland sells for around me, that will come out well over $1M. Now I'm sure the OP has uses for that, but 50-60K for a nice fully featured 75HP tractor that will last the rest of his life seems a no brainer to me. I just had a buddy to much the same thing with proceeds from a house sale, albeit on a much smaller scale. As the OP wants to do small farming, property upkeep, and food plot upkeep on 100+ acres, 75HP doesn't seem excessive. However, if the OP wants to go OOS, 40K for that size tractor isn't out of the question. In any case, to me it seems that some of the proceeds from the estate sale should go to the best tractor available in the OP's HP range. No need for ridiculously tight budget here. Then again, it's not my money.

/ Buying new tractor, not sure what to get. #27  
Nothing against the 5085, great tractor for what it is. It is a basic economy tractor in 85HP, seems it shines as a second tractor on a big operation or in low budget situations. The OP is selling 1000 acres of cropland, not to mention a collection of big farm machinery. At what cropland sells for around me, that will come out well over $1M. Now I'm sure the OP has uses for that, but 50-60K for a nice fully featured 75HP tractor that will last the rest of his life seems a no brainer to me. I just had a buddy to much the same thing with proceeds from a house sale, albeit on a much smaller scale. As the OP wants to do small farming, property upkeep, and food plot upkeep on 100+ acres, 75HP doesn't seem excessive. However, if the OP wants to go OOS, 40K for that size tractor isn't out of the question. In any case, to me it seems that some of the proceeds from the estate sale should go to the best tractor available in the OP's HP range. No need for ridiculously tight budget here. Then again, it's not my money.

I think you are confusing the 5085E with the 5085M. The M is heavier, has a full frame, wider, longer, and better in about every metric than the E

/ Buying new tractor, not sure what to get. #28  
My theory is to buy the biggest/baddest one you can fit in where ever you are going to store it... pay for.... keep fueled.... and fit into the area you are going to use it. Having front tires that you can barely reach up and touch the top of is a big plus....

/ Buying new tractor, not sure what to get. #29  
When you sell a 4960 for 20k I am sure that would cool your interest in blowing a wad of cash on a new 60k tractor such as a 75m. And rightly so.

/ Buying new tractor, not sure what to get. #30  
I think you are confusing the 5085E with the 5085M. The M is heavier, has a full frame, wider, longer, and better in about every metric than the E

You are right, Maybe you said E at first, the M is more than capable.