Buying New VS Buying Used: Kubota L3200 HST FEL or current L3301 HST

/ Buying New VS Buying Used: Kubota L3200 HST FEL or current L3301 HST #11  
The L2501 doesn't have emissions controls like the L3301.What I have read the L2501 is underrated(HP) ...
Have you heard the reports about it being very loud? Plus it $4k cheaper?

/ Buying New VS Buying Used: Kubota L3200 HST FEL or current L3301 HST #12  

Seems though I did read the L2501 was loud( at least to some),that's kind of subjective thing.Between those two tractors I would save the $4,000 and purchase a set of ear muffs.We have a L3000 DT,which is an open station/gear tractor,used in the woods mostly and a little snow clearing.It never ceases to amaze me the capabilities of that tractor.Very similar in size/HP to the L2501.I would go for the HST version of that tractor.
I have purchased two new Kubota's ,both HST and non-DEF and will be keeping what I have for a long time.

/ Buying New VS Buying Used: Kubota L3200 HST FEL or current L3301 HST #13  

One person on here thought so, but in my experience it's absolutely no different than the L3200/L3800 or the previous generation L models. The L3301/3901 are quieter, but they also have quite a bit more exhaust plumbing -- the DPF is like a second muffler.

/ Buying New VS Buying Used: Kubota L3200 HST FEL or current L3301 HST #14  
With the horsepower range of these tractors, 5 more horses makes much more difference than it would if we were talking the difference between 90 HP and 95 HP. I've read comments from people who indicated that the L2501 "can do everything an L-xxxx (bigger tractor) can do, it just takes a little longer". Regardless of the size tractor, there will always be a time when it would be nice to have a little more weight or a few more horses. My goal is to have that be a rare occasion rather than a common occurrence.

/ Buying New VS Buying Used: Kubota L3200 HST FEL or current L3301 HST #15  
With the horsepower range of these tractors, 5 more horses makes much more difference than it would if we were talking the difference between 90 HP and 95 HP. I've read comments from people who indicated that the L2501 "can do everything an L-xxxx (bigger tractor) can do, it just takes a little longer". Regardless of the size tractor, there will always be a time when it would be nice to have a little more weight or a few more horses. My goal is to have that be a rare occasion rather than a common occurrence.

The L2501 has the L3400 34HP engine from two generations ago, and it’s a larger engine than what came in the L3200 from one generation ago. In terms of weight and engine grunt down low, the L2501 is better than the L3200. The limitation to 25HP is based on RPM, so for 2200RPM and below the L2501 will be a very capable machine. Where it will fall short is PTO operation, where you will indeed miss the extra HP. But when I look at what I do with my L3200, the 2501 will be as good or better for about 90-95% of what I do. If I was shopping for a new L right now, the 2501 would be at the top of the list. If someone can figure out how to defeat the RPM limiter it would be a pretty awesome 34HP machine at a great price. As it stands, it’s a pretty awesome 34HP-equivalent tractor at/below 2200RPM.

/ Buying New VS Buying Used: Kubota L3200 HST FEL or current L3301 HST #16  
The L2501 has the L3400 34HP engine from two generations ago, and it’s a larger engine than what came in the L3200 from one generation ago. In terms of weight and engine grunt down low, the L2501 is better than the L3200. The limitation to 25HP is based on RPM, so for 2200RPM and below the L2501 will be a very capable machine. Where it will fall short is PTO operation, where you will indeed miss the extra HP. But when I look at what I do with my L3200, the 2501 will be as good or better for about 90-95% of what I do. If I was shopping for a new L right now, the 2501 would be at the top of the list. If someone can figure out how to defeat the RPM limiter it would be a pretty awesome 34HP machine at a great price. As it stands, it’s a pretty awesome 34HP-equivalent tractor at/below 2200RPM.

So what you're saying is the L2501 is a 25HP tractor unless someone figures out a way to monkey with it and most likely void the warranty?

/ Buying New VS Buying Used: Kubota L3200 HST FEL or current L3301 HST #17  
So what you're saying is the L2501 is a 25HP tractor unless someone figures out a way to monkey with it and most likely void the warranty?

That doesn't have anything to do with the basic tractor or it's capability. It is the old L3400 engine, and larger than the L3200 engine. Most of us never rev those engines past the RPM limiter on the L2501, so for all intents and purposes it feels like the old 34HP L model.

I have had an L3200 for going on 4 years now, and when I drove an L2501 it definitely had more power and more grunt down low. The "25HP" aspect of the L2501 is extremely misleading, and I certainly would not dismiss this machine as low on HP or weight. It's as or more capable than the L3200/L3400 machines for typical usage.

/ Buying New VS Buying Used: Kubota L3200 HST FEL or current L3301 HST #18  

The PTO HP was exactly why I ended up with the L3901 over the 2501. It's a good thing I did because I use the pto for chipping and it isn't hard to stall the 39. I can imagine I would have been frustrated with the 25.

/ Buying New VS Buying Used: Kubota L3200 HST FEL or current L3301 HST #19  
The PTO HP was exactly why I ended up with the L3901 over the 2501. It's a good thing I did because I use the pto for chipping and it isn't hard to stall the 39. I can imagine I would have been frustrated with the 25.

What size chipper do you run? I run a Wallenstein BX-42 on my L3200, which has a 4"x10" throat. It does OK. On my previous B2920, it would occasionally drag the engine down. Hard to believe a few extra PTO HP makes that much difference, but it sure does matter. So that's where the L2501 will certainly fall short. Although Kubota must have changed the gearing to allow 540 PTO RPM within the range of the 2501's engine RPM limiter, so it makes me wonder how that affects the torque of the PTO output. Being a larger engine with some gearing changes, it is probably misleading there too.

/ Buying New VS Buying Used: Kubota L3200 HST FEL or current L3301 HST #20  
Personally I'd buy a new L2501. It's a little lower on HP, but it's the same engine, just detuned a little to get under 25 HP for emissions reasons.

Personally, I don't know why anyone would buy a 1-5 year old tractor for almost new prices versus buying new. I'd have to see a discount of at least 20% to consider a used machine. That said, $15,900 doesn't sound crazy for that tractor. If you could get him down to 15, and you have the cash, it might be a good way to go. But, the financing from Kubota is tempting.

Is there a way to boost the hp once you get it?