Buying New VS Buying Used: Kubota L3200 HST FEL or current L3301 HST

/ Buying New VS Buying Used: Kubota L3200 HST FEL or current L3301 HST #21  
What size chipper do you run? I run a Wallenstein BX-42 on my L3200, which has a 4"x10" throat. It does OK. On my previous B2920, it would occasionally drag the engine down. Hard to believe a few extra PTO HP makes that much difference, but it sure does matter. So that's where the L2501 will certainly fall short. Although Kubota must have changed the gearing to allow 540 PTO RPM within the range of the 2501's engine RPM limiter, so it makes me wonder how that affects the torque of the PTO output. Being a larger engine with some gearing changes, it is probably misleading there too.

I have a Wallenstein BX-62. Its better suited on my bigger tractor but I use it a lot on the L39 since its easier to maneuver in the trees.

/ Buying New VS Buying Used: Kubota L3200 HST FEL or current L3301 HST #22  
Is there a way to boost the hp once you get it?

I'm not an expert. More of a beginner in the diesel world, actually. But, since it's a diesel without a computer and it was originally putting out 34 HP in the L3400, I would say that the answer is yes. I'd imagine it might require turning up the pump, defeating the governor, or bigger injectors. Perhaps all three. But, i wouldn't be surprised if it was a simple modification. One thing to think about though, is that if you increase the RPMs to where they used to be on the 3400, the PTO will be overclocked. Probably not really a problem for most applications, but you have to make that decision for yourself.

/ Buying New VS Buying Used: Kubota L3200 HST FEL or current L3301 HST #23  
I think if I was serious about a hot rodding a 2501, I'd start comparing the relevant engine parts between the engine in the 2501 and 3400 and see what's same/different. Diesels like this are fairly simple, so the question is how did they limit the RPM. There are several ways it could have been done as motorbrowne alluded to.

/ Buying New VS Buying Used: Kubota L3200 HST FEL or current L3301 HST #24  
Just got a quote from a local dealer:

L2501 HST 4x4

R4 Tires / LA525FL Loader / RCF 2060 5' Shredder / Armstrong BB05 Box Blade - minus rebates and tax included

$20,033.77 (out the door)

L3301 HST 4x4 (Same Setup)

$23,929.54 (out the door)

Kubota insurance was not included above, the total quoted was $2,154.28 - 84 months of insurance paid up front ($25.65 month)

That's about the deal I got on mine 3301 in DEC15. LP RC & BB. R1s.
I got a wild hair in the spring 2017 and wanted to trade it in with 100 hours and always garage kept and had added front hydraulics for a grapple.
The salesman offered me 15000 for it. I walked away.

/ Buying New VS Buying Used: Kubota L3200 HST FEL or current L3301 HST #25  
kubota insurance was not included above, the total quoted was $2,154.28 - 84 months of insurance paid up front ($25.65 month)

that's an awful lot of money for insurance due to length of time, and you know that if you keep the tractor on your own property and don't use it for business, your homeowner policy covers your tractor under normal contents coverage; "equipment for the care and maintenance of the property". So there's 2 thousand dollars you could save by buying used because while KTAC offers some nice features, like transportation coverage while trailering your tractor, again, if you keep it home, you may be paying thousands of dollars for coverage you don't need, and is only there to satisfy the bank.