Buying Advice Buying the right tractor for 1.5 acres

/ Buying the right tractor for 1.5 acres #91  
We are going to purchase the home we are in the process right now. I originally thought tractor would be a good idea but having checked into some pricing at this point I'm talking myself out of it for the sheer expense. I can get a nice zero turn for quite a bit less money. And either get a walk behind blower or hire someone to move my snow. A friend of mine kind of out the nail in the coffin said do you like getting up really early and moving snow in the cold? I said I don't mind then he said how about fixing something when it breaks because that's when it breaks even if you spend 15k something will happen. I guess I will just have to live there awhile and see how things go. I've gotten opinions for tractor with attachments and zero turn and walk behind snow blower from people on here and in person and it sounds like it's individual preference. I was all excited about a tractor because I have wanted one since I was a little kid on the farm but I don't know that I can justify the expense.
I rather doubt that many of us on TBN can justify the expense of tractor ownership if truth be known. $25K is probably the median price for tractor ownership on small acreage. I have $60K tied up in just tractors and another $4-5 K in used equipment. No way in he!! can I justify that expense, but when I need to do something, I have the equipment to do it with and I don't have to go searching for someone who can and then wait for days or weeks till they can get around to me.
Initially tractor ownership is only justified by having the means to purchase it in the beginning. After you get one, you will find many uses for one. My daughter and her husband have 2.5 acres and got a Kubota B2630 (IIRC) with FEL, MMM, Tiller & middle buster soon after moving in. I had given them a Troybuilt 42" mower to use which would do an adequate job of mowing but nothing else. So did they really NEED a tractor, probably not, but it helps fill up the 3 car garage so they can park their cars outside.

/ Buying the right tractor for 1.5 acres #92  
Knowing that now and the zero turn good for only mowing grass. I would lean towards the JD 500 or 700 series or the equivalent that has been built over the past 5-15 years.
The 700 series will provide a pto and three point which is handy. The pto will run a snow blower , roto tiller or a power generator for those all too common rural power outages. No city water out in the country .
The three point will pickup small tools,'pallet lifter etc.

/ Buying the right tractor for 1.5 acres #93  
You may want to look around for some of these tractors. They are down in price yet will bolt on a three point hitch and 540 rpm pto as well as cut grass. Enough pulling power to tow a car or truck without busting the transmission.
I'm looking for something in the X575,X585,X595 4X4 from 2002 - 2006 for myself around here.

X465 21 hp 48/54/62" deck 2002 - 2005
X475 23 hp 48/54/62" deck 2002 - 2005
X485 25 hp 48/54/62" deck 2002 - 2005
X495 24 hp 48/54/62" deck 2002 - 2005
X575 23 hp 48/54/62" deck 2002 - 2006
X585 25 hp 48/54/62" deck 2002 - 2006
X595 24 hp 48/54/62" deck 2002 - 2006

X700 23 hp 48/54/60/62" deck 2006 - 2012
X720 27 hp 48/54/60/62" deck 2006 - 2012
X724 27 hp 48/54/62" deck 2006 - 2012
X728 27 hp 48/54/60/62" deck 2006 - 2012
X740 24 hp 48/54/60/62" deck 2006 - 2012
X744 24 hp 48/54/62" deck 2006 - 2012
X748 24 hp 48/54/60/62" deck 2006 - 2012

New tractors are similar to the past two previous generations.

X710 22 hp 48/54/60" deck 2013 -
X730 25 hp 48/54/60" deck 2013 -
X734 25 hp 48/54/60" deck 2013 -
X738 25 hp 48/54/60" deck 2013 -
X739 25 hp 48/54/60" deck 2013 -
X750 24 hp 48/54/60" deck 2013 -
X754 24 hp 48/54/60" deck 2013 -
X758 24 hp 48/54/60" deck 2013 -

/ Buying the right tractor for 1.5 acres #94  
You may want to look around for some of these tractors. X575,X585,X595 4X4 from 2002 - 2006 for myself around here.

-SNIP-

-

A step up from a lawn tractor. But I can't imagine giving up having a front loader. A front loader is one of those things that you keep finding uses for!

EDIT Oops, I was wrong, they do make a loader for that.

While it may not be possible for anyone, even the OP, to accurately foresee future needs, I think it makes sense to buy a little more tractor than you think you'll need. I've only purchased 4 tractors over the years, two of those were new, all were Kubotas. Buying used, if done judiciously, will most always be a better deal.

bumper

Last edited:
   / Buying the right tractor for 1.5 acres #96  
I haven't because I have never lived on an acreage before this will be my first home and I am unaccustomed to the work/chores that go with it. After I have given it more thought I'm thinking about looking into zero turn and a standard walk behind snow blower for the amount of money. Just trying to get opinions of those that have "been there done that" and see what direction that takes me.

If your looking at a walk behind snowblower, but don't know your future needs check out two wheel tractors. Earthtoolsbcs.com is a great resource.

I have owned several 2 wheel tractors for snow removal, tilling, very very light grading of gravel walkways, PTO generator etc.

You can also mow, but I wouldn't want to do 1.5 acres

I owned a Grillo 107d version and it cost me $2900.

I attached a photo of my unit with the wheel barrow attached.

Good luck in your search!

Attachments

• image-249023056.jpg
    image-249023056.jpg
    524.2 KB · Views: 110
   / Buying the right tractor for 1.5 acres #97  
Honestly you don't really need a tractor for 1.5ac. I would think a nice garden tractor would do everything you need. The division between garden tractors and lawn tractors IMO is the ability to run a tiller or ground engaging implement. Any that can do that will be more than capable of running a snow blower or blade. I have a 265 Deere garden tractor which I just use for mowing, but it is capable of running a variety of implements. I think something that size would be about all you'd need. The newer model in that size is the X500 I believe, but there are a ton of good used tractors out there. Some folks also enjoy the really old stuff like the Deere and Cub Cadet garden tractors of the 60's and 70's which were a little smaller but really solid (most also could run a whole slew of implements as well). As for not having a loader, I understand why so many people think it is a necessity nowadays, but it really is not. I was 15 before we got our first tractor with a loader, and we farmed 160ac. Later my wife and I took care of a 200ac farm with just an old Ford NAA. There is a big difference between wants and needs which often gets confused on this site.

/ Buying the right tractor for 1.5 acres #98  
Matt

First off, I have nowhere near the experience of the other guys here, but I have spent the last year looking into tractors, and I lived on about 1 ac in TX awhile back so I have some experience.

The first thing I've discovered is no matter how small a tractor you get, it's not small enough to mow every where, thus you immediately need 2 machines. If your like me living on 25 mostly wooded acres, the cost of 2 machines (or 3 in my case) is justifiable. However, on 1.5 ac, I don't see how you can justify a 20-25 HP tractor, and a dedicated mowing machine. I agree with the others here who say you don't need a big tractor. Now, 1.5 acres is still a good chunk of land, you do not want, in my opinion, a 0 turn, which can only mow. You will, I'm guessing have other tasks, so you need a pretty decent garden tractor.

I'm not great on this point, but I know JD makes a big lawn tractor, which can mow just as well as a ZT, with a little more steering. Now, I personally would not get a deck more than at most 48". I have spots that only the 42" lawn tractor can just get into. So, if you get a JD X series with a 54" deck, I would think you need the 2nd machine, and you might as well get a Kubota BX, which won't be that much more $$ and will do a heck of a lot more. Be careful what your paying for a lawn mower, you easily pay more for a less capable sooped up lawn mower than a basic SCUT with a real loader and 3PT. If your at that point, get the SCUT.

On the snow removal, if you get a garden tractor, get a walk behind snowblower. Blades on LT are hopeless, and snowblower belts are a PITA, as I learned the hard way. If you end up with a tractor, get a rear blade. They're a whole lot cheaper than a snowblower, and between that and the loader, you can handle any snow.

Now, some of the guys here have no room to talk with the whole "too much tractor for your land" argument. I believe there are several members here with 30HP+ machines on about the same acreage as you. The best thing for you would be a small B or such and a small ZT, but I know that's not economical.

Now that I've confused you hopelessly with my rambling, let me say that I managed 1 acre with a dinky 42" lawn tractor and a cart. There was never anything I couldn't do, although I wasn't clearing snow either. In your case I would say a decent lawn tractor that can get everywhere, and a good walk behind snowblower would be the way to go. Also, invest in a cart, mine was the best $100 I ever spent.

Finally, If you talk yourself in to a SCUT, don't limit yourself to JD, Kubota, and Mahindra. Kioti has a new SCUT on the market, although I don't know the price. Yanmar has the SC series which is nice and priced at about 14K for a TLM setup. TYM, Massey Ferguson, and New Holland have good options. Of course, this depends on dealer location, but don't limit your choices. And don't let any of us here talk you into a GL3560 Cab HST+.

/ Buying the right tractor for 1.5 acres
image.jpgimage.jpg
I have attempted to insert a couple pictures of a used John Deere 2305 that I looked at today. It is a 2012 with just under 300 hours on it. It comes with a 47" snow blower and a 62" mowing deck. Went to buy it and they have someone else that they are holding it for. I know it's more tractor than I need but want is probably the operative term form me in this sentence and I want something that is versatile for future use.

/ Buying the right tractor for 1.5 acres #100  
Looks like a great fit to me. mower might be a little big but pusher mowers are cheap and would work good for the tight spots.
Ron