Buying Advice Buying the right tractor for 1.5 acres

/ Buying the right tractor for 1.5 acres #61  
So here's a quick update...

I talked to what seemed like a very knowledgable individual at a mahindra dealership over the phone today. He recommended I get an emax22 with fel and mmm. Said he doesn't think the extra cost is worth gaining 3hp (to move up to the eMax 25). Said fel had lots of uses and could pretty easily handle the drive that I will have (much the same as the great advice I got on tbn). And if I'm going to get an fel get one now or they charge ridiculous freight to ship one on it's own.

He quoted me a price for a new mahindra emax22 48"fel and 60" mmm for $15,500. That seems pretty reasonable for that much machine and new plus I really liked this guys knowledge base you can tell he not only sells tractora he uses them. The dealership is 40 miles away so not wild about that but he said if needed he could come get tractor and bring it back would charge me about $165 to do that.

Also did some online comparisons between mahindra kubota and jd and mahindra seems like a pretty good deal.

If anyone has some thoughts on this I would love to hear them. Thanks as always

I just looked over the Mahindra's specs and website, looks like a nice machine. I think all the SCUT's in this category are pretty close, just comes down to price and personal fit.
Too bad you're not closer, I would let you check out the new Yanmar SC2400 loader/mmm I'm selling....for a bit less out the door. Mahindra's got a bit more lifting capacity, but Yanmar's got the shift on the fly transmission....they both have the 5 year warranty.
The MMM option is around $2500, I have one on mine, but have never used it.....:ashamed::laughing: As others have said, it's easier to have a dedicated mower.
Good luck shopping!

/ Buying the right tractor for 1.5 acres #62  
This may have popped up already on this thread, but I would be concerned about Deere's use of aluminum for the rear ends on some of their smaller SCUT's and maybe even CUT's- seems like I have read multiple posts about guys having problems (big ones) with that after cracking the cases while doing stuff. Just sayin', I'd check into that.

/ Buying the right tractor for 1.5 acres #63  
This may have popped up already on this thread, but I would be concerned about Deere's use of aluminum for the rear ends on some of their smaller SCUT's and maybe even CUT's- seems like I have read multiple posts about guys having problems (big ones) with that after cracking the cases while doing stuff. Just sayin', I'd check into that.

My neighbor's JD just had that happen. Amazing that they would design something that *stupid*! The forward end of the 3-point arm pivot pins are bolted through a cast aluminum flange - and it breaks. When you look at the back of his tractor, the axle shafts don't both go into one differential, instead there are two aluminum gear cases, one on each side. I've read of a few instances where a rear axle has broken off!

Couple of advantages going with the BX series; though not perfect, Kubota's quality (made in japan, assembled in the US) is well above par. They maintain their value well.

No matter what brand you zero in on, take Check's earlier advice and do the research looking for reported problems on the forums.

bumper

/ Buying the right tractor for 1.5 acres #64  
Can't go wrong with a Mahindra Max 28xl. I have about the same size property and found it works very well. I have the FEL, MMM, BH and tiller, rock rake and box blade. I'm amazed how munch I use my tractor.

I ended up with a Mahindra eMax 22 with FEL for my 8 acres earlier this year. Got a 60" 3 pt. mounted finish mower for mowing pastures (also have a same size bush-hog type mower). I found the Mahindra to be a good value and has worked well so far.

/ Buying the right tractor for 1.5 acres
I just looked over the Mahindra's specs and website, looks like a nice machine. I think all the SCUT's in this category are pretty close, just comes down to price and personal fit.
Too bad you're not closer, I would let you check out the new Yanmar SC2400 loader/mmm I'm selling....for a bit less out the door. Mahindra's got a bit more lifting capacity, but Yanmar's got the shift on the fly transmission....they both have the 5 year warranty.
The MMM option is around $2500, I have one on mine, but have never used it.....:ashamed::laughing: As others have said, it's easier to have a dedicated mower.
Good luck shopping!

I am hearing get a dedicated mower more and more. Any thoughts on a good brand of zero turn for 1.5 acres? I had a friend tell me that either get a zero turn and skid loader to do snow with or just get the ztr mower and have someone with a tractor come and move snow for me which I don't think is all that bad of an idea. Money savings would go a long way with the baby we have coming in March. Any thoughts on mowers? I talked to a walker dealer he told me they aren't worth the price and he sells bad boy ztr mowers and he's been very impressed with them.

/ Buying the right tractor for 1.5 acres #66  
My brother has a ZT mower, and expensive brand I forget which right now, and wishes he bought my Cub Cadet lawn tractor/mower instead which I bought at Tractor Supply. He says that the castor wheels on the ZT make it very difficult to mower a straight line along the side of a small incline. The mower wants to keep heading to the bottom and he has to fight to keep it going straight. and level.

He's considering getting rid of it and getting a conventional lawn tractor/mower.

Something to consider if your yard is hilly at all.

/ Buying the right tractor for 1.5 acres #67  
I am hearing get a dedicated mower more and more. Any thoughts on a good brand of zero turn for 1.5 acres? I had a friend tell me that either get a zero turn and skid loader to do snow with or just get the ztr mower and have someone with a tractor come and move snow for me which I don't think is all that bad of an idea. Money savings would go a long way with the baby we have coming in March. Any thoughts on mowers? I talked to a walker dealer he told me they aren't worth the price and he sells bad boy ztr mowers and he's been very impressed with them.

I think you'd appreciate having your own tractor with FEL for snow removal as opposed to relying on someone to come and plow you out. You'll find plenty of other uses, besides snow removal can be relaxing entertainment. Just don't tell the wife.

/ Buying the right tractor for 1.5 acres #68  
My brother has a ZT mower, and expensive brand I forget which right now, and wishes he bought my Cub Cadet lawn tractor/mower instead which I bought at Tractor Supply. He says that the castor wheels on the ZT make it very difficult to mower a straight line along the side of a small incline. The mower wants to keep heading to the bottom and he has to fight to keep it going straight. and level.

He's considering getting rid of it and getting a conventional lawn tractor/mower.

Something to consider if your yard is hilly at all.

I mow my slopes on my yard with my Ferris IS700Z all the time. I can mow up, down or sideways with no problem. With my cheap residential Craftsman, it wont hold on even a small 12 degree slope with uphill side lever pulled all the way back and lower side all the way forward, it still goes down hill and this is with bar lug tires. My Ferris will mow a 30 degree side slope on my pond dike with ease. I do go really slow doing it as it is pretty hairy on the tilt but it easily mows straight. Much has to do with how well the tires hold and your mower weight. My Craftsman weighs about half of what the 850# Ferris weighs.

If I were to recommend a mower it would be the Ferris with the shock and coil suspension.

/ Buying the right tractor for 1.5 acres #69  
I really am not comfortable recommending a tractor (12 to 20 thousand dollars) for 1.5 acres. Have you figured the number of hours you plan on doing each tractor job per year?

/ Buying the right tractor for 1.5 acres
I really am not comfortable recommending a tractor (12 to 20 thousand dollars) for 1.5 acres. Have you figured the number of hours you plan on doing each tractor job per year?

I haven't because I have never lived on an acreage before this will be my first home and I am unaccustomed to the work/chores that go with it. After I have given it more thought I'm thinking about looking into zero turn and a standard walk behind snow blower for the amount of money. Just trying to get opinions of those that have "been there done that" and see what direction that takes me.