Buying tractors online.

/ Buying tractors online. #1  

Spentit

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2565 with hoe, Case 530 back hoe, Hyundai180 LC-3 excavator. Love my Hoe's!
I'm sure this subject has been broached before but everyday is a new life's lesson. I got my diploma today. I recently bought a Mahindra that was advertised online through Tractor house. Great site with clear pictures an detailed descriptions. Only limited by what the seller wants to share. I have no beef with them. I found the tractor I wanted and contacted the seller. The seller was a bank, no problem the banks own everything. There were plenty of pictures in and out any damage was pointed out and and documented. I want it. Catch, its 1300 miles away. Some more discussions about availability, history and the like. I was planning on renting a truck driving down and bringing it home. Renting a truck is another posting all together. Not a bad experience but pricey for a tractor the size I was buying. So I thought I would drive down there check it out, meet a trucker and everything's good. I placed a request for a bid on a very popular shipping website. Customer service told me 24-48 hours I would start getting bids. Within 2 hrs I had a very good bid. After emailing back and forth for an hour or so I accepted the bid. Only catch...."Can it be ready tomorrow?" There it is that proverbial wrench. My plans were going haywire. What to do, wait it out and personally inspect tractor or trust in mankind and send the trucker over and pick it up. I wish I could blame my little head for my decision but he had nothing to do with it. My big head took charge and forged ahead. Take the shipping deal now, skip inspection in person saving me a 2600 mi round trip and "BELIEVE". With everything worked out with the bank and the dealer and "Lets get er done" attitude we plowed ahead. Honest Americans helping trusting Americans employing Americans. I could almost hear the National Anthem playing in the back ground.:dance1::dance1: Then the music stopped. Tractor picked up last Sat. Headed west instead of east where I am. "I have to get home for a day or two then were on your delivery" Ok I get. Eventually it gets here. Last night 9pm, cold, unloading in the dark. Ya ya ya no big deal backing a tractor off a trailer can be done with one eye closed and an arm tied behind my back. So I did a once over and found a few things missing that the dealer didn't ship. Now I assumed my trucker who I thought I hired as my "Agent" would be more aggressive in making sure all the parts and pieces were thrown in. Lesson one: When a trucker/shipper say's "yep looks good" his pants are undoubtedly down because that is where he is talking from. Lesson 2: when a dealers lips are moving......refer back to lesson one. lesson 3: When a bank say's "The pictures and description are an accurate depiction of the item". Run:mur: Who steals a floor mat:confused3:

/ Buying tractors online. #2  
I'll admit - what you have experienced is one of the MAJOR reasons I purchased my two tractors from a local dealership. Myself and a neighboring farmer friend went over both new tractors with a fine tooth comb. For me - hands on, at a local dealership that I can trust, is the only way to go.

We all know what happens when you "assume"............

I hope your story will have a happy ending.

/ Buying tractors online. #3  
Sorry to hear all that ,Its a tough way to learn a lesson buying sight unseen is a 50/50 shot . Hope the rest goes well

/ Buying tractors online.
Thank you. The missing parts were A CAT 2 top link. The quick hitch type. $450. And the floor mat. $350. Who steals a dirty floor mat. Certainly not a scraper. Unless the value of dirty scrap rubber went up and I wasn't advised. Both of which were in the pictures.

Sorry to hear all that ,Its a tough way to learn a lesson buying sight unseen is a 50/50 shot . Hope the rest goes well

It will, Cause I still "believe" My glass is always half full, sometime full to the top.

/ Buying tractors online. #6  
I would call the dealer and see what they will do for you . Maybe the floor mat blew off

Calll I will. Its a closed cab. Go price a floor mat. Not one you get at wall mart.

/ Buying tractors online. #9  
IDK it was a cab sorry

Check it over for a few days.

My point was not about the missing parts but about trust. Dealing with people how you want to be dealt with. Ok maybe the grand to replace is also an issue.