Buzz/squeal from hydraulics in cold weather?

/ Buzz/squeal from hydraulics in cold weather? #1  

bsvitale

Tractor
John Deere 5045E
JD 5045e. Temps last night about 5 degrees F. Ran the block heater this morning about an hour then started 'er up. The hydraulics whined/buzzed something wicked for the first 15-20 mins and then finally quieted down. Operating the loader relieves the noise temporarily. I assume this is normal with the cold? Should I let it heat longer before starting? Is something getting damaged? Just sounds like it hurts..

/ Buzz/squeal from hydraulics in cold weather? #2  
I would be worried too. My guess is that the hyd pump is having a hard time picking up the thick cold fluid and is not getting a full charge. If you go to slow idle does the noise abate or just change buzz rate?

/ Buzz/squeal from hydraulics in cold weather?
If you go to slow idle does the noise abate or just change buzz rate?

I'd say the buzz 'rate' decreases accordingly with RPMs going down but it's still there (until I've used the machine for a little while, at which point everything seems to warm up and it goes away).

Only 20 hours on the tractor btw.

/ Buzz/squeal from hydraulics in cold weather? #4  
Leaving the engine block heater plugged in longer is not going change temp of hydraulic fluid.
There might be some moisture from condensation in the hydraulic fluid which turn to ice at freezing temps, this ice will restrict fluid flow through screens and filters until gets warm enough to melt it.
Also what fluid is in there. John Deere has 2 grades on Hy-guard one for normal (average) temps the other (can't remember what is called) is for severe cold weather. It is lower viscosity multi-grade so still works fine in summer in most applications.

/ Buzz/squeal from hydraulics in cold weather? #5  
You need the allow the tractor to run at a high idle for up to 30 minutes after it starts to warm up the hydraulics before use.
Ignore this and expensive damage will be the result.
Here is Kubota's chart but all tractors will be similar.
NawfT88.jpg

Dave M7040

/ Buzz/squeal from hydraulics in cold weather? #6  
Under cold ambient conditions, the hydraulic fluid's viscosity increases and the pump output pressure will increase possibly causing the relief valve to open and make noise. As the oil warms the viscosity decreases, thus reducing the noise as the relief valve closes. the length of time it takes this to happen will depend on the temperature and the viscosity characteristics as a function of oil temperature as well as the hydraulic system configurations and components.. Some manufacturers recommend a low viscosity oils for cold weather operation but it's hardly practical to change large volumes of hydraulic fluid with the seasons. It's easier to work the tractor lightly until the fluid warms up. Some folks put heaters on the hydraulic reservoirs to pre-warm the fluid. The average tractor owner just lets the machine warm up a bit longer.

/ Buzz/squeal from hydraulics in cold weather? #7  
Agree with the warm up on any vehicle. It never ceases to amaze me to watch or hear someone start a vehicle in warm or cold for that matter & in motion about the time, the engine turns over.
I always let my truck idle a minute or so in warm weather & longer in cold weather to get fluids moving, same thing on all my equipment.

Ronnie

/ Buzz/squeal from hydraulics in cold weather? #8  
JD 5045e. hydraulics whined/buzzed something wicked for the first 15-20 mins and then finally quieted down...
I don't know about the 5045e but to warm the hydraulic oil quicker on my 5205 the procedure is as follows:
1. Depress clutch pedal, start the engine and idle at about 1000 rpm.
2. Turn and hold steering wheel in full left or right turn.
IMPORTANT: To prevent damaging hydraulic pump or relief valve, DO NOT exceed two to three minutes warm-up time with steering wheel held in full left or full right turn position.

/ Buzz/squeal from hydraulics in cold weather? #9  
The fastest way I have found to warm the hydraulic/transmission fluid is to engage the PTO's while warming up (no attachments of course).
This gets the fluid moving without putting it under pressure and warms it up quickly. After five minutes I operate the FEL slowly to move the cold fluid to the transmission and put warmer fluid in the cylinder and hoses.

This works well in very cold weather.

/ Buzz/squeal from hydraulics in cold weather? #10  
That's a good tip Dave. Seems less dramatic than turning the steering full limit and using a pressure relief valve to warm.

John Deere recommends using either (regular) Hy-Gard; or for lower temp applications: low viscosity Hy-Gard.
I only changed my hyd. filter at the 50 hr (or 100hr, whatever) break-in, but am now thinking about changing the oil out completely and was confused over whether New England temps require regular or low viscosity.
If, like most people, you're only going to run one type (and not change it twice a year) which kind? Have better flow in winter, or higher viscosity/ better protection in the heat of summer?
I've talked to dealers and still get a variety of answers. Even the info & charts in manuals vary depending on what year manual (i.e some manuals say upper limit of low viscosity Hy-Gard is 68F, others say 86F, and yet other have seen it listed as 106F.
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/oil-fuel-lubricants/303087-low-viscosity-vs-hygard-3.html
I'd rather use regular viscosity and wait for it to warm up on those few cold days than sacrifice protection on those hot days. Heat kills.