BX-24 too small for pulling boat (went in but wouldn't come out)

/ BX-24 too small for pulling boat (went in but wouldn't come out) #91  
mswlogo said:
I'm convinced I can get the tractor can do it with a little thought.

Me too so keep us posted on what you do.

I always wanted to try to ski behind an ariboat just to say I did it. I am pretty sure you would need goggles:D

/ BX-24 too small for pulling boat (went in but wouldn't come out) #92  
mswlogo said:
I'm convinced I can get the tractor can do it with a little thought.
I think it is doable, as some have said, fatter tires, ramps for the trailer (if going with wood I would use a pair of 2x10 or 2x12's with 2x4 or 2x6 sides on them to make a C shaped rail, that way the tire stays on) or a "grid/mat" to put on the beach and down into the water.
if you did ramps or a grid they could probably be made to mount on/under your boat trailer so as to be out of the way when not in use.

just my $0.02

Aaron Z

/ BX-24 too small for pulling boat (went in but wouldn't come out) #93  
Would an electric winch, connected correctly to the BX24, make easy work of this?

Create an appropriate rolling dolly for the front of the trailer and use the dolly/winch tandem to beach the trailer and boat. At some point, the BX24 can take over and place the tandem wherever they go.

The winch purchase would certainly have many other uses beyond this one chore.

:Gardener

/ BX-24 too small for pulling boat (went in but wouldn't come out) #94  
mswlogo said:
Great idea, but I'm not sure I'd want to water ski behind an air boat :)

Just get a longer rope!!

After all this, I'd give up boating!! :D Thought about knitting? :D

/ BX-24 too small for pulling boat (went in but wouldn't come out) #95  
I've read all of this now here's my $.04 (adjusted for inflation)

Set the boat (trailer) down. unhook from it. Back up tractor and come back to trailer at a 45 degree angle and rehook. Pick trailer back up and pull at an angle to get it moving, then turn up the beach.

This same tactic has worked for me when pulling up heavy slalom skiers back in the day when I didn't have enough boat to pull them straight out of the water.

You won't be pulling the full weight of the boat at the very beginning and you've decreased the steepness of the beach by pulling at an angle to it.

/ BX-24 too small for pulling boat (went in but wouldn't come out) #96  
On second thought, and after revisiting the pics, the tractor would be in the water and you said the bottom is soft in the water.

I'll just sit back, be quiet and listen (read) some more.

/ BX-24 too small for pulling boat (went in but wouldn't come out) #97  
mswlogo said:
Great idea, but I'm not sure I'd want to water ski behind an air boat :)
I have seen it done before. Not sure I would do it!

/ BX-24 too small for pulling boat (went in but wouldn't come out) #98  
L3240 or Massey 135 or Ford 8N

A man's gotta know his tractor's limitations.

/ BX-24 too small for pulling boat (went in but wouldn't come out) #99  
It is possible to ski behind an amphib, however it is illegal - sez FAA or somebody.

3 ropes are suggested, it gets WEIRD when the wake disappears entirely, but the prop wash remains INTENSE.

It takes a LONG pull to get up even on 2 skis, so try to remember how you learned to get up on two and drop one. If you are too used to double high wraps fergettit.
The pilot has to know that it extends the take off distance considerably, dragging a skier through the water is a LOT of extra drag, even dragging a skier ON the water takes a lot of power and extends take -off distance.

DO have a chase boat, at some point the plane has to climb and the skier has to let go - obviously the plane can't come back for a dropped skier.

Don't ask how I know this.

/ BX-24 too small for pulling boat (went in but wouldn't come out) #100  
It took me 30 mins to read through this. I like the snomobile track idea for going under the wheels of the trailer. If you find the right type of tracks they may sink easily in the water, unlike wood. Some tracks have more perferations than others. Attach a rope to the ends so you can drag them out with the tractor when the job is done and they would roll up for easy storage. I understand your downsizing the Jeep, I also have one but now have a Civic almost ready for the road. Gas is brutal and so is upkeep on the Jeep.