Bx bucket issues

/ Bx bucket issues #1  

Fytrfire

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota BX22
Hey guys!

I just replaced my HST on my bx22. Needless to say I put brand new recommended fluid and filter as well as cleaned the strainer. I tried lifting several large chunks of firewood rounds and found that the bucket had to be "tilted" via the lever then moved back to the "up" postion and rock the lever back and forth between these two settings quickly to get the bucket to lift the wood up at all, and didn't seem to have a ton of force behind it. If I remember right, the bucket seems to lift empty like it did before but with weight in it, it just sucks. Before the fix, the lever seems to have been sticky or junky feeling ever since I bought it.

I do have the backhoe for this machine, but haven't attached it since the repair, as I wanted to run everything for a few hours to make sure my repairs were successful.

Maybe I should connect the backhoe to rule out a hydraulic issue vs the bucket control valve?

I was thinking of doing a pressure check to see what pressure I'm running. Not sure either if anything needs to be bleed.

Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thx!

/ Bx bucket issues #2  
I just lost my response note, so here is version 2.0, much shorter.

I had a similar problem a year ago where the bucket would only lift to hood height if there was any snowload in it at all, empty it worked fine. Turns out that the hydraulic reservoir plug had spun ever so slightly by the deep heavy snow that was being plowed, causing a slow leak of fluid. Tightened that up, checked all the lines and connections to make sure they were securely fastened, and then all was good.

I have owned my BX23S for 3 yrs, about 260 hours on it, and that is the extent of my beginner / novice tractor operator experience. Others on the forum migiht correct my thoughts as they would be experts and experienced, so my efforts to answer are just mere guesses. Some comments / questions for you to consider ...

1) my issue was discovered at the height of winter, 2-3 ft of snow, constantly plowing through it, with no clearance at times
2) I had not removed, replaced, adjusted, serviced the hydraulic lines or connections when the problem arose (it was still a young tractor)
3) check that the lines and hydraulic connections (for Loader) are all properly secured and tight so that there are no leaks, and therefore that a hydraulic "loop" provides continuous flow
4) check that there is sufficient hydraulic fluid in the reservoir, and that there is a reading on the dipstick cap, check that the plug below is straight and secured
5) keep the RPM running at a suitable level for the task
6) if it is REALLY COLD / DEEP FREEZE conditions the hydraulics will be challenged anyways, on typical days this is not an issue

All The Best

edit - I knew that I forgot something :)
7) you may need to bleed the hydraulic lines like you would a brake line to get any air bubbles out (not sure). Perhaps running the tractor and going through the function motions would do this.

Last edited:
   / Bx bucket issues #3  
Do you have the hose that would connect to the backhoe plugged into the back of the tractor completing the circuit? Have you cycled all loader functions to their limits multiple times to force all the air out?

/ Bx bucket issues #4  
If I remember correctly the BX models had the directional control valve mounted down by your feet and mechanical linkage between the joystick and the valve. I recall some posts about people having issues with the linkage working loose causing problems with loader not working properly. I would suggest pulling the cowling or dash apart to look at all this linkage and confirm the joystick is moving the spool in the control valve.

Does the engine change sound when attempting to raise and curl vs just raise? This would also point towards oil by-passing the lift spool.

/ Bx bucket issues
Do you mean you replaced the fluid or that you replaced the hydraulic pump?
I replaced the complete HST pump which is on the forward side of the transmission, as well as new fluid, filter and cleaned the strainer.

/ Bx bucket issues #7  
Hey guys!

I just replaced my HST on my bx22. Needless to say I put brand new recommended fluid and filter as well as cleaned the strainer. I tried lifting several large chunks of firewood rounds and found that the bucket had to be "tilted" via the lever then moved back to the "up" postion and rock the lever back and forth between these two settings quickly to get the bucket to lift the wood up at all, and didn't seem to have a ton of force behind it. If I remember right, the bucket seems to lift empty like it did before but with weight in it, it just sucks. Before the fix, the lever seems to have been sticky or junky feeling ever since I bought it.

I do have the backhoe for this machine, but haven't attached it since the repair, as I wanted to run everything for a few hours to make sure my repairs were successful.

Maybe I should connect the backhoe to rule out a hydraulic issue vs the bucket control valve?

I was thinking of doing a pressure check to see what pressure I'm running. Not sure either if anything needs to be bleed.

Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thx!
Stop! You may be "deadheading" the rear lift cylinder.
If the cylinder is not adjusted properly, it can "explode" causing damage to the cases.
I did this and cost a lot of money in repairs.

/ Bx bucket issues
Stop! You may be "deadheading" the rear lift cylinder.
If the cylinder is not adjusted properly, it can "explode" causing damage to the cases.
I did this and cost a lot of money in repairs.
So how do u adjust it?

Rear cylinder? Do you mean or speaking of the two hydraulic cylinders (pistons) one on each side of the front arms that raise and lower the bucket??

/ Bx bucket issues #9  
So how do u adjust it?

Rear cylinder? Do you mean or speaking of the two hydraulic cylinders (pistons) one on each side of the front arms that raise and lower the bucket??
I'm talking about the rear cylinder.
A good Kubota mechanic can explain it better than I but
As I understand it, being out of adjustment blocks the relief valve.
Sorry, I can't explain better than that.
It could be very expensive repairs that a call or trip to a Kubota mechanic could easily explain or prevent.

Note: some very good tractor mechanics did not know about this problem. My Kubota mechanic at Kubota Dealer in Opelika knew immediately what the issue was.

/ Bx bucket issues #10  
I suspect fishdrivel is talking about the 3 point hitch is trying to raise dead heading the pump over relief. If I remember correctly some Kubota models used a FEL valves that had series spool on the lift lower. This spool directs flow returning from the lift lower cylinders down stream to facilitate raise and dump simultaneously. If the 3 point is attempting to raise it would limit what you could lift