BX Front Mount Snowblower!

/ BX Front Mount Snowblower! #11  
I have the Herd 3pt sander and so far it has worked great. I've got it set up on a new B2710 with R4 loaded tires and a 63" front mount snow blower. I looked at fertilizer type spreaders but they looked cheap. The Herd is all steel with a heavy duty steel agitator & really well built.

I've got a 325 foot very steep hill to get to the top of the driveway. The Herd sander has been great. Sure beats sligging sand by hand! I got best results setting the rear PTO to about 300-350RPM and drive along with transmission in medium range. This throws a perfect 12' spread & I don't run out of sand before I get the hill done. You want/need to keep the PTO rpms down a bit or the agitator will beat the hell out of the box as it emptys. They even caution about this in the manual.
Barnett

/ BX Front Mount Snowblower! #12  
Huck, did you put rear chains on only?

/ BX Front Mount Snowblower! #13  
How much did you pay for the sander? Does anybody have a link to a website for Herd?

/ BX Front Mount Snowblower! #14  
Just the rear. And that's what I used all last year and never had a problem. I can stop, start and turn anywhere on the hill.

/ BX Front Mount Snowblower! #15  
I think it was $1200 installed and ready to go. I bought it together with the B2710, FEL, 63" front mount blower.
Barnett

/ BX Front Mount Snowblower! #16  
We had a 10hp track-driven walk-behind snow blower that did a great job - and was a little oversized - at our last house. The first winter in our new house (1999-2000) we used a plowing service. He did a decent job, but showed up at 10am when it stopped snowing before daybreak. Overbooked, I guess.

The Kubota snowblower for the BX has been incredible. We had the most snow in about ten years last winter. The blower didn't miss a beat, or break a bolt, all winter.

Using a blower, there's no problem with snowpiles creeping into your driveway. The only problem I had was not shooting snow onto our woodpile - about sixty feet off the end of the driveway. When I finished the driveway and looked it over, I was amazed to see snow markings 12-15' up on the trees along the drive!

I WOULD prefer a better method for oiling the chain. Maybe a permanent tube, with vented cap, placed in the top oiler hole. Fill the tube to the top, replace the cap, and let the self-oiling take place due to vibration during operation.

...Rich S.

/ BX Front Mount Snowblower! #17  
I found this old post and thought that I would revive it by asking if others could post their experiences with the BX snow blower so far for this season. Just think, winter is almost over, the sun is out more during the day, the days are getting longer, and we have all that seat time to look forward to as soon as the grass starts to grow.

/ BX Front Mount Snowblower! #18  
I run mine into the shop today for an oil change and see that I have put about fifteen hours on the snow blower this winter. The little bx1500 runs the blower very well and the blower seems to be well made. Time will tell !!

/ BX Front Mount Snowblower! #19  
Junkman,
I have the front mounted snowblower on my BX23....I wouldn't be without it. I have never had any problems with the blower, and it has taken care of everything from 2 inches of wet snow/slush to 16 inches of snow. Regular snow will fly about 50 feet.

What I may do in the future though is add a set of wings on the side of the blower. I had a Wheelhorse snowthrower (single stage blower) that had the wings that pulled in an extra 4 or 5 inches of snow. It kept the tractor from running over the snow and packing it down with the front tires.

The Kubota snowblower is much heavier than the Wheelhorse blower, but doesn't take long to put on. The blower itself goes on in minutes, after you have the loader off and the front quickmount attached. The nice thing about using the Kubota is that it had down pressure on the front. If you have a paved driveway, and have to drive your car on the snow, the down pressure is nice to scrape up the packed down snow.

Bottom line...it is worth the money.

/ BX Front Mount Snowblower! #20  
Bite the Bullet Paul and buy one /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I am just like you as I to drool for month over something before I take the plunge /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif