BX Oil Change Frequency

/ BX Oil Change Frequency #1  

Junkman

Tractor
2003 Kubota BX-22
How often do you change the oil in your BX? I know the book says to change it at the 50 & 100 hour points and then every 100 hours thereafter. It also says to change the oil filter every 200 hours. I have been changing oil and filter every 50 hours with Rotella Synthetic oil and a new Kubota oil filter. Is this excessive or reasonable?

/ BX Oil Change Frequency #2  
Junk- It depends on how long it takes for 50 hours. Does it take 1 month or 1 year? etc

I do mine once per year no matter the hours with a synthetic.

I think 50 is to early but that is me.

/ BX Oil Change Frequency #3  
I have no idea what is right but I change my oil and filter once per year. I put about 75 hours on the tractor per year.

I had a 1957 Power King before the BX and I changed oil once per year and the engine ran perfectly until the day I sold it (44 years). It did not use oil and it was never rebuilt.

Once a year works for me!

John

/ BX Oil Change Frequency
I put 150 hours on it in 12 months. Most of which were during the warm months. The tractor and I agree.... cold weather isn't to our liking.. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ BX Oil Change Frequency #5  
I would say that would be fine to do, once per year or 175 hours. Or you could do it like every 7 to 9 months (around 125 hours). Either way would be fine OR do an oil test at like 125 hours and see. Oil might be trash or not. If good there is a general baseline to go by for that point on.

/ BX Oil Change Frequency #6  
Greetings,
Being the traditionalist and a creature of habit that I be, one of my annual rites of spring is to change the oil & filters (if equipped) of all my internal combustion engine powered machines. It sorta helps me shake off the cobwebs of a long cold winter. So for me once a year in the spring is when I do the scheduled maintenance.

That said, as for my BX I'm going to wait until the recommended 50 hrs is up before I do the 1st scheduled change. I'm up to a wopping 12 hrs now /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
No matter where it falls on 50hrs, even if it's in the heat of the summer as I want to break it in as per the specs. Not to mention as how many on this forum also recommended too. And since I will be going to a synthetic (Mobile1), I want to break it in good on the dino before the change.

Volfandt

/ BX Oil Change Frequency #7  
I change the oil and filter every spring, no matter how many hours I have put on during the winter(always less than 20.) Then I change every 50 hours during the summer mowing season (usually once, this past year twice.) I also change when I store the MMM for the winter. Probably overkill but it makes me feel better.
Will

/ BX Oil Change Frequency #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Either way would be fine OR do an oil test at like 125 hours and see. Oil might be trash or not.)</font>

gsxr, how does your average guy go about doing oil tests? Is there a kit you can get or do you have to take the sample to someone?

/ BX Oil Change Frequency #9  
so you change oil 3 times per year?

/ BX Oil Change Frequency #10  
most diesel dealers (ie, international, cat, etc) will do oil testing. Also Amsoil and Blackstone also do it. Just pay attention to what results your get for your $$$$$.