Buying Advice BX1850?

/ BX1850? #11  
Well if it wasn't that I am looking to expand the amount of yard I have, which means lots of clearing, dirt moving and other projects I probably wouldn't consider this much tractor. Plus, I am looking for something I can get my wife to use so we can enjoy working our property together. Something not very intimidating so I can show her how fun it is to drive and operate tractors. Plus, we have lots of little projects that would make it nice. Really, since I am going to buy a riding mower anyways, why not have the ease of doing my other projects without the hassle of renting. I will spend every bit of money saved by going with a cheaper rider on rental fees for the right equipment to do my jobs. Plus, with western Washington weather like it is, you have to take full advantage of nice days when they come.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not apposed to push mowing my property, I just would like to have the ease of having my own equipment when needed. Besides, I have the wife's blessing to get a play toy, what more could a man want. I agree however, anything bigger would be a waste of money. I'm no spring chicken and any mechanical help i can get I will take. Plus my time with family is important, so cutting project times is a bonus. I appreciate the input.

I think you are pretty much on the right track and whole hardheartedly agree on the value of time spent with the wife. Since my wife retired, she has pretty much taken over our BX2660 which is now "her" BX2660.

When we were pushed for time this summer, she ran our L5030 with a six foot bush hog while I ran our M8540 with a ten foot bush hog. She could fit in places it would take me too long to do and it really sped things up plus we enjoyed what we were doing and accomplished. Her true love remains the BX however.

/ BX1850? #12  
I agree with those that say go for it, you only live life once - at least that's what I hear. :laughing: Anyway, just want to add my observations on using a chipper. I have one form my BX1860 - same powertrain, just a newer model. I have chipped green material up to about 3" but have to feed it slowly as it will bog the engine. Anything up to about 2" it will just chug along.

Oh, the only aftermarket backhoe I know that fits the BX is the Woods BH6000. Probably run about $5K or more new depending on how hard you shop for a deal. Good luck and let us know what you end up buying.

/ BX1850? #13  
less then half acre? the BX is right on the edge of being too big, but it small enough to be like a small tractor but got lots of power. where abouts are you located? do you get snow? BX can handle chipper, but you just cant throw big stuff in it. I would say 1 inch max maybe? Getting a BX will last you for years for sure, just keep in mind its a diesel, so it needs to be run alot for troublefree operation.

/ BX1850? #14  
Situation: I own .6 acres in rural Olympia, Wa. and just invested about $2,000 into recovering a ravine/slope in my yard w/almost 700 yards of fill and topsoil. This makes my property almost 2/3 useable lawn/property. The remaining 1/3 remains to be cleared or reclaimed slope. I am intently searching for a subcompact tractor and have happened upon a Kubota BX1850 w/ less than 200 hrs. It has the loader, MMM, and tiller w/turf tires All items are factory Kubota implements and in like new condition. The price is $9,000. delivered. What questions should I be asking the seller to insure I get a quality reasonably trouble free tractor?

Questions - what type of use? When was the last service? By whom? Dealer or owner? Will the Kioti implements fit the 1850?
Check how hours are computed on the 1850, I think it's by real time, not PTO speed time (like my B7610). http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...150221-b7610-hour-meter-tach-revolutions.html

You obviously have not considered a new one? Zero down, zero interest. However, it would cost you $11,900. give or take, depending on your bargaining skills. That's about $200 a month and you keep your $9K and, with interest earned, that would make all your payments!! :laughing::laughing:

That unit? Zero warranty. A new unit? 1 year on everything, 3 years on power train. That too should be weighed out in this decision.

When I run thru the calculations on the Kubota web site it's about $14K w/ FEL and MMM new, no tiller. Can you depend on 15% off?

As far as used - For price comparison Barlow's also has BX1850 w/ loader and mower - 172 hours, like new, 2005, $9950, Messicks has one w/ 146 hrs, hydro, turf tires, 54" deck, Loader Valve for $9K so the $9K seems in the ballpark for ASKING prices.

Bottom line - if you can get SWMBO to use it buy it. Or better yet get SWMBO to do the chores you plan on doing with it for a few days to ensure she appreciates the value.

/ BX1850?
Well I would like to thank all of you for the input. I am looking to offer $8500. cash and see if he bites. The mower is 48" and the tiller is 40", all factory installed kubota products. It is from a private individual so no warranty. But, are there lot's of warranty issues to consider? How much of a deterrent is the stiff backing issue? If it's no worse than your average lawn tractor than it should be no worry for me. I also ran the kubota numbers with identical implements and it was over $13000, from the kubota website. I know this doesn't account for any dealer incentives and included adding the loader. I have seen some deals where they are adding the loader for free. I will keep updating as I get closer to making the plunge. I am going to look at new as well, only if I can get a good deal, and everyone's input from here will ensure I do. Thank you all.

/ BX1850? #16  
How much of a deterrent is the stiff backing issue? If it's no worse than your average lawn tractor than it should be no worry for me. I am going to look at new as well, .

Most importantly test drive them all. if the reverse stop and the plastic body issues do not bother you than you should be able to get a very good deal on one, as they have been a disappointment or a concern to many. On the same hand others make good use of them with out complaints. Good luck shopping

/ BX1850? #17  
When you test the 1850, make sure it is fully warmed up, which can take quite a while as the temp's drop, and put it in high gear. These are the conditions that produce the most abrupt stopping in reverse. If the hydro oil is cool, it won't stop like it will 30 minutes into mowing your lawn. Good luck and let us know what you end up with.

/ BX1850? #18  
When you test the 1850, make sure it is fully warmed up, which can take quite a while as the temp's drop, and put it in high gear. These are the conditions that produce the most abrupt stopping in reverse. If the hydro oil is cool, it won't stop like it will 30 minutes into mowing your lawn. Good luck and let us know what you end up with.
I never mowed with mine in high gear so I would not try it in high gear for my use. Try it the way you will use it. If in high then in high and if in low then in low. Doesn't matter how abrupt it is other than in the gear you will use it in. It was rather abrupt for me in low.

/ BX1850? #19  
I never mowed with mine in high gear so I would not try it in high gear for my use. Try it the way you will use it. If in high then in high and if in low then in low. Doesn't matter how abrupt it is other than in the gear you will use it in. It was rather abrupt for me in low.

I mowed with my 1850 in high when I first got it, and would prefer high but for how severe the jerk-to-stop was; but my point was that high gear and high RPMs with hot oil produces the worst effect if the OP wants to experience it prior to putting his money down.

/ BX1850? #20  
I mowed with my 1850 in high when I first got it, and would prefer high but for how severe the jerk-to-stop was; but my point was that high gear and high RPMs with hot oil produces the worst effect if the OP wants to experience it prior to putting his money down.
I believe he will experience it for sure in high. :thumbsup: