BX1860-BX2660

/ BX1860-BX2660 #31  
but when it was all said and done the difference between the three BX units was only a couple of hundred dollars.

Folks say that, but the MSRP and the dealer's cost price on the 4 basic BX model stair step at around $6-800 per step. Go "up" two steps and you're talking $1600. That difference is significant enough.

The 2660, as the "big dog" on the BX porch, earns its price, not only for the HP, but for the seat and the couple little touches. Absolutely.

Folks talk about the difference in ground clearance, but let's check Kubota's own spec sheats. The ground clearance winner in the BX family is.... (insert drum roll here) the lowly BX1860 at 9.0 inches. The larger models? 8.7 inches.

The world isn't going to stop spinning over .3 inches. But just sayin'

Last edited:
   / BX1860-BX2660 #33  
By my poor math, the difference in price between a BX1860, and a BX2660 is just over $2700.00. That is worth thinking about when you are writing the check. I suppose if you measure things by payments, it isn't that much different, but you still are paying it. I did a lot of small farming in my youth with a gas powered tractor that probably put out less HP than a BX1860, but of course it was larger had loaded tires, etc. I think that a BX1860 is probably more than adequate for just about anything that size tractor would normally be doing. The exception would be running something like my chipper perhaps. My main concern with the smaller size is the reduced clearance / room for mounting the mmm. If you want the 60" mower then you have no choice but to go with one of the larger ones. All things considered, I would probably go with the BX2360, and the 54" mower, and save a bit of money there. The deck protrudes enough to make trimming easier than it is on my current tractor (Legacy with 48" deck) and it has enough power to run anything that fits it well. I would have no problem with the BX1860 if the mower deck went in, and out easily.

/ BX1860-BX2660 #34  
Frankly, the discussion of why one buys one BX over another is interesting, but that is all it is. Kubota makes 4 different BXs and prices them accordingly. They are meant for ever so slightly different target consumers. The differences? when compared to an L or an M are indeed minute. Price? HP? Capabilities? Really, honestly, the differences are there, but only to those of us who are BX owners who process these details to the minutia.

It comes down to this attachment requiring this much PTO hp, or this $800 for another's budget, or that MMM deck, etc. This is exactly why these various models exist. Kubota didn't just make one BX and say to everyone, "That's it" take it or leave it. Frankly, I LOVE the fact that Kubota is a big enough company to make us all an offering that pleases us. Peace.

/ BX1860-BX2660 #35  
I look at it this way....no right or wrong, just my method of deduction... If I'm going to buy the BX because of it's "size" or "footprint", then I want all the torque I can get out of this particular size tractor. For most the 1860 is great. But I have always been plagued with "wishing" I had stepped up one more level because of some situation that demanded more "power" or "grunt". The problem is that I never figure "that" out until after the sale!! lol So this time I stepped on up from the start. Only after I use it for it's intended use will I be confident in my choice...or perhaps realize I didn't need the Extra Power. But...with the deal I got on mine, I couldn't afford not to go with the 2660.

Some have a need controlled by a budget, and others have needs based on work situations. They are all great tractors. Doesn't really matter the horsepower or what you paid....rather, will it do the job.

I WANT a Grand L cab model.....but I don't need it!! :( OR maybe the M series...hmmm

/ BX1860-BX2660 #36  
I look at it this way....no right or wrong, just my method of deduction... If I'm going to buy the BX because of it's "size" or "footprint", then I want all the torque I can get out of this particular size tractor. For most the 1860 is great. But I have always been plagued with "wishing" I had stepped up one more level because of some situation that demanded more "power" or "grunt". The problem is that I never figure "that" out until after the sale!! lol So this time I stepped on up from the start. Only after I use it for it's intended use will I be confident in my choice...or perhaps realize I didn't need the Extra Power. But...with the deal I got on mine, I couldn't afford not to go with the 2660.

Some have a need controlled by a budget, and others have needs based on work situations. They are all great tractors. Doesn't really matter the horsepower or what you paid....rather, will it do the job.

I WANT a Grand L cab model.....but I don't need it!! :( OR maybe the M series...hmmm

Jeff is buying from Barlows. He knows that they are so easy to deal with and yes come back later and trade one back in for another that he's going to the biggest one to start with. But... that didn't work for me. I bought or traded for a L3240 and later took it back and traded it for a B3200. Anyone wanting a B3030 or BX2660 just hold on and get Jeff's trade in and quit waiting on mine. I'm keeping mine....well... I'm probably keeping mine. Jeff wants me to take some pictures of his new tractor which I'll try to do today but if I end up spending any money at Barlows while I'm there I'm going to put some ball bearings in Jeff's tractors so the rattles will drive him nuts. No, Jeff....I will not take any blankets to cover them up and I'm not going to wax them while I'm there...it's supposed to rain today and no I'm not going to leave my umbrella over one of them.

/ BX1860-BX2660 #37  
..ah... How do you figure that extra ground clearance?

I thought I saw it on one of the gazillion websites I visited and was being kind of facetious as the "difference" I found was maybe a quarter to a half an inch. I checked them because when my wife and I were doing visits on the lots, the BX2660's sitting next to the 1860 and others "appeared" to have more space under the front axles.

If your specs disprove this, fine as I am sick of looking at all that stuff.

/ BX1860-BX2660 #38  
Jeff is buying from Barlows. He knows that they are so easy to deal with and yes come back later and trade one back in for another that he's going to the biggest one to start with. But... that didn't work for me. I bought or traded for a L3240 and later took it back and traded it for a B3200. Anyone wanting a B3030 or BX2660 just hold on and get Jeff's trade in and quit waiting on mine. I'm keeping mine....well... I'm probably keeping mine. Jeff wants me to take some pictures of his new tractor which I'll try to do today but if I end up spending any money at Barlows while I'm there I'm going to put some ball bearings in Jeff's tractors so the rattles will drive him nuts. No, Jeff....I will not take any blankets to cover them up and I'm not going to wax them while I'm there...it's supposed to rain today and no I'm not going to leave my umbrella over one of them.

I am not convinced that you will keep your current combination of tractors. Oh and by the way the Baby Bota (BX1500) is performing great. I have a little over 150 hours on it. It seems like it has more power now than when Barlows delivered it(maybe its starting to get broke in). John I meant to ask what you had done at the 50 hour service and did you do the work yourself or have Barlows do it?

/ BX1860-BX2660 #39  
I thought I saw it on one of the gazillion websites I visited and was being kind of facetious as the "difference" I found was maybe a quarter to a half an inch. I checked them because when my wife and I were doing visits on the lots, the BX2660's sitting next to the 1860 and others "appeared" to have more space under the front axles.

TripleR
No problem, its all good.
The slight difference in wheel diameter sometimes gives a different illusion. Understandable. My only rub is continually reading here and elsewhere about the ground clearance difference on the various BXs, when in actuality there isn't enough measurable ground clearance difference to impress an ant. :D:D

/ BX1860-BX2660 #40  
I look at it this way....no right or wrong, just my method of deduction... If I'm going to buy the BX because of it's "size" or "footprint", then I want all the torque I can get out of this particular size tractor.
For most the 1860 is great. But I have always been plagued with "wishing" I had stepped up one more level because of some situation that demanded more "power" or "grunt". The problem is that I never figure "that" out until after the sale!! lol
1*So this time I stepped on up from the start
1* I did it a little different by getting a BX1500 and a BX23 both. this contrast with a BX1860 and a BX25.

I thought I saw it on one of the gazillion websites I visited and was being kind of facetious as the "difference" I found was maybe a quarter to a half an inch. I checked them because when my wife and I were doing visits on the lots, the
1*BX2660's sitting next to the
2*1860 and others
"appeared" to have more space under the front axles.
1*26'' rear wheels
2*24'' rear wheels.

I am not convinced that you will keep your current combination of tractors. Oh and by the way the Baby Bota
1*(BX1500) is performing great. I have a little over 150 hours on it.
It seems like it has more power now than when Barlows delivered it(maybe its starting to get broke in). John I meant to ask what you had done at the 50 hour service and did you do the work yourself or have Barlows do it?
1*My BX1500 just turned to 101 hours.

TripleR
No problem, its all good.
1*The slight difference in wheel diameter sometimes gives a different illusion. Understandable. My only rub is continually reading here and elsewhere about the ground clearance difference on the various BXs, when in actuality there isn't enough measurable ground clearance difference to impress an ant. :D:D
1*There is only a 2 '' difference between wheel sizes on the BXs