BX1860 pressure test coolant

/ BX1860 pressure test coolant
Something doesn't seem right here. Late yesterday morning a guy posts about an improbable coolant leak.

Half an hour later a member speculates as to a cause. Which narrows half a dozen possible causes down to one without any supporting evidence, questions, or simple tests.

Based on that one sentence, two hours later the OP posts that he has the head off and is ready to slap a new gasket on there..... all without any diagnostics, investigation, or apparently any mechanical experience.

This just doesn't add up for me. Am I missing something? Anyone else?
rScotty
Hi rScotty,

there was a lot more that lead up to this point, problems that had started well over a year ago. I’m happy to go through it all if you are interested, although it’s not really relevant to my original question of what is needed to pressure test the coolant system.

I’m not sure exactly what you’re implying by “something doesn’t seem right here”.

/ BX1860 pressure test coolant #12  
What Scotty is implying is that Ord went off half-cocked by assuming that 5030 and I were right in saying it was probably the head gasket... Could be -- I have no idea what all Ord took into account besides our comments but I suspect it was more than just our 2 comments.

For starters most of us know that water in places it does not belong in a diesel engine is extremely likely to be the head gasket more often than anything else. The proof will be in the pudding when the OP finishes this story and completes the fix.

I admit I jumped to a conclusion about the problem rather than answering Ord's original question -- Scotty, now how about you? Did you tell the OP how to pressurize his cooling system ? That was his question.

/ BX1860 pressure test coolant #13  
Thinking there is more here than meets the eye, either that or the op has a disassembly pit crew...

Sorry all, didn’t mean to cause any controversy or confusion.

My tractor issues have been going on for a while, from the earlier symptoms had already been told the head gasket almost certainly needed replacement, so was already expecting to do it.

There may be another problem as well so I’ll probably have more to check after this is done.

I’d be happy to post about everything that happened to get to this point if anyone is interested.

I do appreciate the suggestion and advice I have received. Thanks.

Update: found two cracks in the cylinder head when I started cleaning it.

/ BX1860 pressure test coolant #16  
Hi rScotty,

there was a lot more that lead up to this point, problems that had started well over a year ago. I’m happy to go through it all if you are interested, although it’s not really relevant to my original question of what is needed to pressure test the coolant system.

I’m not sure exactly what you’re implying by “something doesn’t seem right here”.

Well, you have to realize there is no way for me to tell from here that there was anything leading up to the problem. With some history it does make more sense... and it is true that most coolant leaks are found by taking the head off... but not all are. Taking the head off is generally the last thing you decide to do; not the first.

From a web thread perspective we readers can only see is what is posted. What we saw yesterday is a problem happens for no reason and with no lead up. As far as we know, it just happened out of the blue late yesterday morning. Then a few hours later the head is off and pictures being posted. Put yourself in your reader's shoes, now wouldn't that seem just a shade impulsive?

My hat is off to your wrench speed. Under 3 hrs is remarkably fast for figuring out what to do and then getting it done & posting results - even with a disassembly pit crew & no lunch break.
rScotty

/ BX1860 pressure test coolant #17  
I've been in this spot - just not as deep in an engine - where the problem is happening now, the work-to-address-it is happening now and the user forum advice is just a part of the confirm/deny voices at play in the process. I don't understand why someone moving fast and looking for opinions on the fly is anything but what it is, and in no way "something not right here."

Is everything now part of a conspiracy? I think this thread is a wonderful part of what these forums offer: close-to-real-time consultation with other equipment owners, hoping to have someone help nail the problem down. Or even provide a solid lead...

Props to anyone who tries to help. Everything else is just slowing things down.

Well, you have to realize there is no way for me to tell from here that there was anything leading up to the problem. With some history it does make more sense... and it is true that most coolant leaks are found by taking the head off... but not all are. Taking the head off is generally the last thing you decide to do; not the first.

From a web thread perspective we readers can only see is what is posted. What we saw yesterday is a problem happens for no reason and with no lead up. As far as we know, it just happened out of the blue late yesterday morning. Then a few hours later the head is off and pictures being posted. Put yourself in your reader's shoes, now wouldn't that seem just a shade impulsive?

My hat is off to your wrench speed. Under 3 hrs is remarkably fast for figuring out what to do and then getting it done & posting results - even with a disassembly pit crew & no lunch break.
rScotty
Makes sense, I understand what you mean.

Since I now have a better idea of what is wrong I might make a separate thread for how it all came about.

/ BX1860 pressure test coolant #19  
Makes sense, I understand what you mean.

Since I now have a better idea of what is wrong I might make a separate thread for how it all came about.

Lets get back to mechanicals. I was disappointed to hear about the cracks. Was hoping that a leaky head would just be the typical flame ring erosion that could be removed by surfacing

It used to be that some cracks could be fixed....sometimes. The worst crack to fix - and one of the most common in gas engines - was a crack from the spark plug hole to the exhaust valve seat area.
In a diesel I guess that would be from the injector hole to the exhaust valve area.

So where did it crack? What's the verdict there? & the cause?
rScotty

Lets get back to mechanicals. I was disappointed to hear about the cracks. Was hoping that a leaky head would just be the typical flame ring erosion that could be removed by surfacing

It used to be that some cracks could be fixed....sometimes. The worst crack to fix - and one of the most common in gas engines - was a crack from the spark plug hole to the exhaust valve seat area.
In a diesel I guess that would be from the injector hole to the exhaust valve area.

So where did it crack? What's the verdict there? & the cause?
rScotty
Two of the three have tiny cracks in the exact same spot.

No idea of the cause. I had been having overheating problems in the summer which kept getting worse. Tried everything that was suggested by my Kubota dealer - cleaning radiator fins, changing to synthetic oils, removing thermostat. Each would improve it temporarily but not solve anything.

Eventually found some symptoms that suggested head gasket - oily film in the coolant, and some bubbles visible when running with the radiator cap off.

I think there is something else wrong too, when I tried to put into the garage at the beginning of winter all the coolant drained into the oil pan in a few minutes.

I’m not sure what to do now - if I should replace the head, or try to find a complete used engine, or some other option.

Attachments

• FF748AC0-E8B7-40A0-AAA6-DD000DCAD853.jpeg
    FF748AC0-E8B7-40A0-AAA6-DD000DCAD853.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 58
  • 92C5AA11-87D3-4781-8839-A1468CD3AC1F.jpeg
    92C5AA11-87D3-4781-8839-A1468CD3AC1F.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 63