BX2200 Heater Installation

/ BX2200 Heater Installation #21  
JOHNNY,
if i uninstall this cab in the summer ,i could simply hook my factory hose back up.ALAN

That is how I have done it, with engine cold you can remove heater hoses and replace bypass loupe, no need to drain, you may loose half a cup of coolant.
You are done till next winter. KennyV.

/ BX2200 Heater Installation #22  
That is how I have done it, with engine cold you can remove heater hoses and replace bypass loupe, no need to drain, you may loose half a cup of coolant.
You are done till next winter. KennyV.
Even though i built my cab to remove the doors and the rear panel,i got an idea that ill be removing in the summer,since its not difficult to do.
Since i already got the hose coming ive got to somehow adapt the fittings on the tractor to match.Ialso might come off the tractor with two short 1/2 hoses and make an inline adapterto the 5/8 .
ALAN

/ BX2200 Heater Installation
Alan,
My cab is kind of a permanent installation...a Curtis soft cab, but a pain to take on and off, lots of wires and probably a half days work to remove. I typically just take off the doors and open the front window. It rarely gets really HOT on this mountain top in upstate NY, so that's not really an issue.

I made up a cover out of canvas tarp material, installed snaps on it and the engine/breather cover. Snap it on in the winter, take it off in the sumer. Found the snap kits at a hardware store. Without the cover it was literally, and without a heater it was literally colder inside the cab than out :) That fan pulls a ton of air into the cab if the cover isn't covered up. Unless a cab is very air tight the heater isn't going to much heating with that breather panel open.

In my particular situation the way I installed the heater will be the most convenient for me. But the bypass is a great alternative, the bypass hose goes on and off real easy. I can even picture a setup where you extend the bypass hook ups out farther with some hose to make them real easy to get to, changeover would be a snap.
JohnnyB

/ BX2200 Heater Installation #24  
The head mechanic at work said if the hose is new ,you ought to be able to clamp it down to the 1/2 fittings.Im not sure about that,what do you guys think?
DATAWAY,You didnt mention it ,but you did remove the removeable metal panel in under the air cleaner to suck air from under the tractor?Im going to copy your air cleaner mod,but im in such a rush right now its gonna be good ole duct tape:D
ALAN

Alan, the lower air intake under the tractor was already open on my tractor. It has a screen on it just like the big opening in the cab. I was going to use Duct tape myself but I already had the canvas and the snap kits lying around from another project. Plus I have this old industrial sewing machine I wanted to try out.

I think 5/8" hose would clamp on 1/2" fittings ok...but it's not going to clamp on those bypass fittings, they are 3/8" max...actually a tad smaller (at least they are on my 2200). I was able to push 3/8" fuel line on those fittings quite easily.
JohnnyB

/ BX2200 Heater Installation #26  
I think 5/8" hose would clamp on 1/2" fittings ok...but it's not going to clamp on those bypass fittings, they are 3/8" max...actually a tad smaller (at least they are on my 2200). I was able to push 3/8" fuel line on those fittings quite easily.
JohnnyB

If you need to bush a small nipple larger, just use a short piece of hose that will fit tightly on the small nipple.
Slip the larger hose over it and clamp with a worm gear hose clamp. You will capture the hose barb on the nipple and everything will stay. You will not be able to yank it off unless the hose clamp is loose.
You can even use a little rubber cement between the small hose and large hose that will keep the two pieces together should you need to remove them. KennyV,

Hehe...Kenny...I still find it amazing the stuff I don't think of myself even though I've doing this kind of stuff for years :)
Very good tip!
JohnnyB

/ BX2200 Heater Installation #28  
THANK YOU GUYS,Igot a wicked good heater in my cab now.Ill be in a t-shirt in the middle of a noreaster for sure!!!
ALAN

P.S The duct tape on the air intake is only temporary til i can make a pretty one.What would we do without duct tape?

Attachments

• 100_1393 (676 x 507).jpg
    100_1393 (676 x 507).jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 559
   / BX2200 Heater Installation #30  
Alan,

How did u end up pluming the heater to the engine??

Isimply unhooked the bypass line and hooked my hoses to it,like kenny said.Iwent to NAPA and bought two 1/2 inch to 5/8 adapters,so there is two one foot 1/2 hose coming off each side of the engine, then its enlarged .Idid this so the clamps are behind the side panels and out of site.Of course i wasted money on the install kit ,i have a shutoff valve and two tees i didnt use :rolleyes:I contimplated another valve and rigging all this up,but it was too busy for my taste.Iwill simply reinstall the small hose ,when spring comes.Igotta buy a half inch connector to hook the uninstalled lines togeather so all the antifreeze dont run out and drain the core.or mabey i should drain each year ?ANY WAY it will take all of 5 minutes to install or uninstall each time,and like KENNY SAID, NOT MUCH ANTIFREEZE LOST.
ALAN