Backhoe BX23 Bachoe won't come off

/ BX23 Bachoe won't come off #11  
Thanks to all that posted. After lots of liquid wrench and WD40, some hammering, and about an hour of working the boom, I finally got it off!

You guys are a great help! Richard

Wow, has that BH been on there since new?...I thought there was a process issue, not a rust one. Mine's a 2004, and there's not a speck of rust on anything except the BH & FEL buckets.

/ BX23 Bachoe won't come off #12  
Wow, has that BH been on there since new?...I thought there was a process issue, not a rust one. Mine's a 2004, and there's not a speck of rust on anything except the BH & FEL buckets.

Must have bought it from LB :D

Actually, R&R'ing the BH on a BX22/BX23 is very easy, eaiser than the newer BX TLB's as they don't have the locking jaws, they have to align two pins at the upper connection.

As been said, draw the dipper close in, lower it until the bucket contacts the ground then continue to lower it as it slightly lifts the rear wheels off the ground.
Theres a pull handle on the locking jaws, remove the clip, pull it back toweards the BH, and reinsert the clip so it holds the pull handle all the way back. Do this for both sides. This allows the locking jaws to open.
Now using the BH controls, tilt the entire BHoe back, this pulls the top of the BHoe's mounting points away from the subframe which inturn automatically opens the locking jaws.
Also, keep an eye on the lower mounting point as this is simultainiously pivoting the lower bar out of the lower subframe. You'll hit a sweet spot to where the top is fully out and clears the rear fender and the lower mounting rod is clear of the subframe. We're talking less than an inch of clearance on both. At this point you can either push or drive the tractor forward a couple inches. You can then tilt the BHoe forward and slowly lower it to the ground. Once fully down, shut the engine down disconnect the two hydraulic lines and plug them together. This is VERY important as you'll loose all your hydraulic functions if you don't loop those two lines on the tractor back together....

I dismount my BH onto a dollie so I don't use the outriggers for any assistance, I leave them up and secure them w/a bungie to keep them up and out of the way as I roll my BHoe around as needed. As been posted you can also use the outriggers to assist in mounting/dismounting and also use them as stabilizers once the BHoe is on the ground. It takes up alot more space this way tho.....

Once you've done it once you'll see how really easy it is.
Good luck
Dave

/ BX23 Bachoe won't come off #14  
Let me ask if the handles that rotate on your tractors are loose on their shafts. My levers seem frozen to the shaft.

I removed the c-clips and the levers do not slide off as it would appear they should.

I have hit them with light and heavy hammers and also tried to move them with good sized monkey wrenches. In both cases, you can see the acutal shafts flexing/twisting so much so that I have to stop because I do not want to damage the bosses that hold the shafts.

I did all this after soaking everything in penetrating fluid for several weeks and following the instructions in the manual and after reading posts all over the net.

Thus, I think my next step is heat. Any other suggestions?

Anyone near Bucks County PA and want to lend a hand?

/ BX23 Bachoe won't come off #15  
My neighbor had this problem. We had to cut off the handles that rotate. There was allot of corrosion between the pins & handles/sleeve that rotated around the pins. The replacement sleeves were only $35 ea.

/ BX23 Bachoe won't come off #16  
This is my last resort if heat does not work. What did you use to cut them off? My initial thought was a cutoff wheel. My dealer charges more than this. May have to shop them. Thank you MMH.

/ BX23 Bachoe won't come off #17  
I had the same problem with the backhoe stuck. I took the c clips off and pounded the pins out took a little force but can be done. Once off i took the clamps apart and greased them has worked ever since. Hope this helps.

/ BX23 Bachoe won't come off #18  
This is my last resort if heat does not work. What did you use to cut them off? My initial thought was a cutoff wheel. My dealer charges more than this. May have to shop them. Thank you MMH.
4" cutoff wheel on a grinder. Run a seem along the length of the sleeve/handle being careful not to cut into the pin. Don't worry about not being able to get the full length. Cutting will loosen them enough (release their grip on the pin) so that you should be able to get them off. Before installing new sleaves/handles clean up any galling/corrosion w/ emery/crocus cloth. When installing the new sleeves/handles, grease them well.

/ BX23 Bachoe won't come off #19  
I had the same problem with the backhoe stuck. I took the c clips off and pounded the pins out took a little force but can be done. Once off i took the clamps apart and greased them has worked ever since. Hope this helps.
It depends on how bad they are rusted/galled on. My neighbor got them off previously as well, but it took alot of effort. This time, the pins would not budge. Maybe he did not clean them up w/ emery cloth & grease them.

/ BX23 Bachoe won't come off #20  
Yes once off i used a wire wheel cleaned them real good then greased them real good.