BX23 - Starts right up - stalls when moving

/ BX23 - Starts right up - stalls when moving
THe kubota starts right up and the trottle is smooth, and the trottle will rev to full power.
I moved three bushes today using the BH and FEL, the only issue is when moving, it tries to stall if you push harder than like your foot on an egg. Push down more than slightly down and the tractor will stall.

I have a question, how difficult is it to clean out one's fuel tank. I looked at the BX23 specs today and noticed there are two tanks. Looks like a small one infront of the large one.

/ BX23 - Starts right up - stalls when moving #42  
THe kubota starts right up and the trottle is smooth, and the trottle will rev to full power.
I moved three bushes today using the BH and FEL, the only issue is when moving, it tries to stall if you push harder than like your foot on an egg. Push down more than slightly down and the tractor will stall.

I have a question, how difficult is it to clean out one's fuel tank. I looked at the BX23 specs today and noticed there are two tanks. Looks like a small one infront of the large one.

I don't know how hard it is to remove, but I would first just disconnect the fuel line and drain it. Then shine a light down in there and see what it looks like. Maybe hven use one of thos fance dental mirrors on a stick if you can.

Seriously, though it sounds like a safety switch, I know that is not what you want to hear. Disconnect the fuel shut off, or open the hood and see if it engages when you hit the throttle. Testing this is a lot easier then removing the fuel tank.

I know on mine it would just off because of the seat saefty switch. Maybe it isn't the switch, but the control box (as someone else said) or a short in the safety switch wiring. If you see the shutoff engaging under the hood, then you know there is something engaging it to shut it off.

/ BX23 - Starts right up - stalls when moving #43  
Hmmm...Tractor_Jim_CT. Your last description of the problem does sound more like a safety switch than a fuel problem. I didn't realize that it was only when you tried to move the machine. I would start by hot wiring the safety switches. I believe there is a hst pedal switch. I would start with that one.:thumbsup:

/ BX23 - Starts right up - stalls when moving
""" I believe there is a hst pedal switch. I would start with that one."""

Thanks for the replies. In my prior post I pointed out that I replaced tested the hst pedal safety switch after the dealer felt it was the problem. Not sure if you ever tried to get to this switch - it's almost impossible.

I was able to remove the wire to the old safety switch and plugged it into the new safety switch, The tractor would not start unless I was pushed the button down on the new switch.
Will holding the button down, I pushed down on the gas petal and the machine tried to stall as usual.

Now that I replaced the two under the seat and the hydro, not sure what other safety switches are left to check. I did not understand the posts regarding checking under the hood - not sure how that works.

/ BX23 - Starts right up - stalls when moving #45  
""" I believe there is a hst pedal switch. I would start with that one."""

Thanks for the replies. In my prior post I pointed out that I replaced tested the hst pedal safety switch after the dealer felt it was the problem. Not sure if you ever tried to get to this switch - it's almost impossible.

I was able to remove the wire to the old safety switch and plugged it into the new safety switch, The tractor would not start unless I was pushed the button down on the new switch.
Will holding the button down, I pushed down on the gas petal and the machine tried to stall as usual.

Now that I replaced the two under the seat and the hydro, not sure what other safety switches are left to check. I did not understand the posts regarding checking under the hood - not sure how that works.

The safety switchs work by shutting fuel off to the engine. Under the hood neat the injectors is a unit that shuts off the fuel.

Pop your hood and just turn key to the run position. You will hear something click when you turn it off. That is the module. You will hear click once, and then a couple second later is clicks again. Basically shutting the fuel off and then disengaging so that the next time it can start... SOmeone else may be be able to give you a better description. But I think it is on the left side, when driving near the steering wheel end of the engine bay.

If it is electrical, unhooking the power from it will not let it shut the fuel off and it will keep running.

Even though you replaced the safety switch under the seat, if there is a short in the wiring, it would still shut off when you go to give it forward pedal.

When I was running mine today I noticed that it doesn't even hestiate to go when giving it gas, so I think the ideal that the fuel tank is dirty is a bit off base on this one, especially since you have been running the hydraulics with the BH and FEL.

Can you tell me if it does the same thing when you engage the PTO? If so then it is in the safety switches and/or wiring soemwhere for sure.

/ BX23 - Starts right up - stalls when moving #46  
On my BX23 the stop solenoid is only energized to stop the engine. There is a timer relay that controls the amount of time the solenoid is actuated. It applies a voltage to it for approx 10 - 20 secs then removes it. This is the distinct "click" you hear 10- 20 secs after shutdown or when the key switch is turned on then off.
Basically I can disconnect my stop solenoid (2 conductor plug) and my BX23 will start and run fine but the key switch won't cut it off. There is a lever on the fuel injector pump that is a manual shut down for the engine. If one is careful one can reach down into the compartment and use the lever to shut the engine down. Be advised that it's mighty close to the spinning radiator fan so if one was to attempt this, I HIGHLY recommend to locate the manual shutoff lever 1st, BEFORE one starts the engine and this test........
It would be easier to remove the front bonnet (engine cowling) and less dangerous.
So a test that can be tried is to disconnect the stop solenoid and see if the BX23 tries to stall when operated under load.
If so, it's a fuel delivery problem.
If not, it's a safety switch problem.
There is a safety switch on the pto lever but it will keep the engine from starting if it's not closing.
Good luck
Dave

/ BX23 - Starts right up - stalls when moving #47  
On my BX23 the stop solenoid is only energized to stop the engine. There is a timer relay that controls the amount of time the solenoid is actuated. It applies a voltage to it for approx 10 - 20 secs then removes it. This is the distinct "click" you hear 10- 20 secs after shutdown or when the key switch is turned on then off.
Basically I can disconnect my stop solenoid (2 conductor plug) and my BX23 will start and run fine but the key switch won't cut it off. There is a lever on the fuel injector pump that is a manual shut down for the engine. If one is careful one can reach down into the compartment and use the lever to shut the engine down. Be advised that it's mighty close to the spinning radiator fan so if one was to attempt this, I HIGHLY recommend to locate the manual shutoff lever 1st, BEFORE one starts the engine and this test........
It would be easier to remove the front bonnet (engine cowling) and less dangerous.
So a test that can be tried is to disconnect the stop solenoid and see if the BX23 tries to stall when operated under load.
There is a safety switch on the pto lever but it will keep the engine from starting if it's not closing.
Good luck
Dave

I should have said that about the shut off valve and finding it first and making sure you can get to it safely. I actually thought it was on top in the engine compartment. Never had to mess with mine before, just knew it was there. I don't suppose there is a fuse he could pull instead that would at least then be safer? I would also recommend doing this while the engine is cold so you don't risk any burns.

The PTO switch won't let the engine start if the PTO is engaged, but it will also shut the engine down if the seat switch isn't working properly. My PTO switch is very sensitive and it shuts my tractor off all the time when I get off the seat.

These are two seperate tests Tractor Jim. The PTO test would signify that it is probably still an electrical issue.

While I understand the importance of these "safety" features they sure can be a pain.

Tactor Jim, I hope you find it soon, I think we are running out of idea for you. It is a shame we can't combine everyone's experience to make a good mechanic. :D He would definitely be valuable.

/ BX23 - Starts right up - stalls when moving #48  
Good luck
Dave

Fuel solenoid disconnect test would be my first choice also. That will take all the electrial out of the equation.

/ BX23 - Starts right up - stalls when moving #49  
I would have to agree. Remove the stop solenoid. This will tell if its mechanical (fuel or Hydrosystem) or electrical (safety switches). Then you can move on from there. Could there be something blocking the flow to the tranny causing the engine to bog down and stall?? Blocked line?? But then agin wouldn't that affect the BH and FEL.

/ BX23 - Starts right up - stalls when moving #50  
It is a shame we can't combine everyone's experience to make a good mechanic. :D He would definitely be valuable.
You guys sure impress the heck out of me. I have nothing to contribute, but following this is like reading a good detective story. :)