BX23 - Starts right up - stalls when moving

/ BX23 - Starts right up - stalls when moving #51  
I like the idea of checking for a stuck brake. You could just jack the thing up in the air, put it in nuetral, and see if the rear wheels spin. The reason I say this, I left my parking brake on the other day. Most of the time it just moves hard, and you hear the HST whine a little. This time the engine started to stumble and die. It's an easy check, just you use stablilizers to jack up the rear end and check.

My gut reaction is its fuel related, but I'm not so sure since it seems like it would try to stall when using the FEL and backhoe. Let us know how it turn out. I hope its something simple.

/ BX23 - Starts right up - stalls when moving #52  
I like the idea of checking for a stuck brake. You could just jack the thing up in the air, put it in nuetral, and see if the rear wheels spin. The reason I say this, I left my parking brake on the other day. Most of the time it just moves hard, and you hear the HST whine a little. This time the engine started to stumble and die. It's an easy check, just you use stablilizers to jack up the rear end and check.

The OP stated that he can move the tractor if he uses very little pedal pressure. If it was a brake issue, he would need more pressure.

/ BX23 - Starts right up - stalls when moving #53  
Yeah, your probably right, but it's still an easy check, it would take less than 5 minutes. Another issue could be a problem with the HST, but I'd rule out the cheap stuff first.

I know when I have a saftey switch that isn't quite right, the tractor won't start, or I can't move it at all, or if I can move it, at a speed that would take about 5 hours to move 100 feet. I like the idea of taking the fuel cut off wiring off and seeing what happens.

/ BX23 - Starts right up - stalls when moving #54  
Over the winter, I had a few times when operating mine to remove snow that it would want to die when I pressed the HST pedal. This never seemed to happen when I 1st started it, but sometime throughout while I was working, then would seem to do ok. I talked to the dealer and they suggested the fuel filter. I had changed it 50 hrs previous and was using conditioned fuel, but changed it again. A couple of weekends ago on a nice day I was just heading to the back of the house and could not seem to get there as it kept stalling. I got off and pressed the switch under the seat a lot of times. Since then, no problem.

Remembering back when I first got out of the Air Force I fixed TV's for Sears. The tuners then were mostly mechanical and the contacts would collect dust and moisture and get erratic. Contact cleaner and spinning them helped. Those switches under the seat are pretty exposed to moisture and dust, so it would probably be good to once in awhile go through the routine of pressing them several times.

/ BX23 - Starts right up - stalls when moving
You guys have been terrific and your ideas are greatly appreciated. It's been raining here and I walked away from the problem for now. I also hope I find the solution soon since I have much landscaping to do before it get's too warm.

I will take note of your comments and try to find where the stop solenoid is and what it is. I have BX23 PDF files I bought years ago that I can open for reference.

I forgot to call my dealer today to tell him the 3rd safety switch didn't work. I will keep everyone posted and again thank-you for the ideas. I have been helped many times over the years by TractorbyNet members and I am proud to be a Kubota owner. Great bunch of owners.

Stopped by the dealer today and spoke with the mechanic who worked on my BX23 last fall and described the problem. He felt it was a safety switch and he printed me out a detail drawing of all the safety switch locations. One saftet switch I noticed is under the neutral/turtle/rabbit speed control levers. Test this and it wasn't the problem.

I kept hearing over in my head how the mechanic thinks it was the seat switches, but I replaced both with brand new switches and I started focuing on the seat again. This time I decide to lift the seat so it wasn't locked into postion or touching the two safety switches.

I started the BX23 in neutral and it started up as normal. I moved the tractor forward and the problem continued with the engine wanting to stall. I pressed the button switch down with my finger and tried to move and the tractor started to stall. Then I left the push button up and this time I held down the white lever on the other safety switch and guess what - it did not stall. I put the seat down, and tried it again just pushing down the white lever and it stalled. Lifted the seat again and pressed down the white lever and no stall. So I decided to take the push button safety switch and popped it put of it's mounting hole under the seat and left it hanging - locked the seat back down and it's working.

Excited to have it working - and I am scratching my head as to why the new, grey colored, button safety switch is making the tractor stall. Keep in mind there are two safety switches under the seat. One looks like a little black box, with a 2 to 3 inch white colored spring lever. The other is a gray push button switch and the seat comes down on the push buttom.
What's strange is when the seat is in the down position, it doesn't look like the seat is pushing the button down. So for now I left this push button switch out and I am running.

/ BX23 - Starts right up - stalls when moving #57  
Now that is odd! It seems like there is a short somewhere! Do me a favor. with the seat up, can you engage the pto without it cutting off ? maybe pto switch is shorted out? Something is causing the switches to be in open circuit.

/ BX23 - Starts right up - stalls when moving #58  
Hello all,

I知 having the same problem as Jim in Ct
Bx24 starts right up, turn up the throttle to 2-2500 Rpm.
Touch forward pedal, stutters to stall, let go. Try reverse pedal same thing.
I can creep along. Looked in my fuel tank as my gauge is never accurate and looked empty.
Filled up, same problem.
Nightfall hit and left the BX out for the night.
I致e used the BH off and on all day as I was digging holes for fence posts.
Did a lot of flipping seat back and forth, I値l look at the switch under the seat in the A.M.
As for changing filters, can I reach the primary with the MMM installed?

/ BX23 - Starts right up - stalls when moving #59  
Ok guys,

I thought about this all night. Correct me if I’m wrong.
BX started up, throttle revved up. When I put pressure on a drive pedal, it stalled.

I read all the posts on this thread as I didn’t want to start a new one.
Most here suspected fuel issue. I understand you can rev up with no load. Once a load is applied, more fuel is needed to maintain RPM, correct?
I remembered I was able to move the tractor very slowly, however, I was also able to raise able lower my bucket which had forks on it. Wouldn’t raising the bucket with forks enough load to stall it?

I got up this morning and was convinced it was a safety switch/button. Sure enough went out this morning and looked under the seat. There are two button switches, one gray, one black. I saw the black one had slipped through the mounting hole. Upon further inspection, I’ll need a new switch as the plastic mounting tabs are torn. I reinstalled the old one and fired it up. It worked fine.

I guess I’ll add the switch to my Christmas shopping list at Messicks. My wife is happy to allow me to do my annual pilgrimage to Messicks as she gets a trip to Lancaster out of it.

I’ll try to upload the picture of the hanging switch.

A9490E43-CCD2-457F-A18B-4374D9536FF0.jpeg

I saw this post and thought why is my name coming up. I started reading the thread and thought I forgot all about this
and forgot what I had gone through. Glad this post helped someone.

Ok guys,

I thought about this all night. Correct me if I知 wrong.
BX started up, throttle revved up. When I put pressure on a drive pedal, it stalled.

I read all the posts on this thread as I didn稚 want to start a new one.
Most here suspected fuel issue. I understand you can rev up with no load. Once a load is applied, more fuel is needed to maintain RPM, correct?
I remembered I was able to move the tractor very slowly, however, I was also able to raise able lower my bucket which had forks on it. Wouldn稚 raising the bucket with forks enough load to stall it?

I got up this morning and was convinced it was a safety switch/button. Sure enough went out this morning and looked under the seat. There are two button switches, one gray, one black. I saw the black one had slipped through the mounting hole. Upon further inspection, I値l need a new switch as the plastic mounting tabs are torn. I reinstalled the old one and fired it up. It worked fine.

I guess I値l add the switch to my Christmas shopping list at Messicks. My wife is happy to allow me to do my annual pilgrimage to Messicks as she gets a trip to Lancaster out of it.

I値l try to upload the picture of the hanging switch.

View attachment 531029