BX2350/BX24 Abrupt Reverse Stop

/ BX2350/BX24 Abrupt Reverse Stop #41  
Folks,

I know this is a very old thread and I'm a newbie but I understand the problem and have a solution. Its a clear design issue with the pedal/damper mechanism. First the forward movement of the mechanism is much longer than the reverse movement. So the reverse motion isn't able to properly exercise the damper. To make matters worse, the damper has a dead spot where it provides no damping for part of the stroke when going from one direction to another. When you combine the dead spot with the short reverse stroke, there is no damping in the reverse direction. Below is a video of the phenomenon. When the mechanism moves left and lengthens the damper that is the reverse direction.

Kubota BX235/BX24 abrupt reverse stop issue - YouTube

Now the video below is my fix.

Kubota BX235/BX24 Abrupt Reverse Stop Fix - YouTube

I fabricated the silver looking plate. It effectively lengthens the stroke of the damper giving it an opportunity to slow the pedal return to neutral. Note the "jump" - the dead spot before the damper engages and starts doing its job. The extra holes are in the plate so I could dial in the stroke. The hole its mounted in pretty much maximizes the stroke in both directions.

I'm considering doing some drawings, have some parts fabricated/modified and putting kits together for sale. Just trying to gauge if there is any interest out there.

/ BX2350/BX24 Abrupt Reverse Stop #42  
Folks,

I know this is a very old thread and I'm a newbie but I understand the problem and have a solution. Its a clear design issue with the pedal/damper mechanism. First the forward movement of the mechanism is much longer than the reverse movement. So the reverse motion isn't able to properly exercise the damper. To make matters worse, the damper has a dead spot where it provides no damping for part of the stroke when going from one direction to another. When you combine the dead spot with the short reverse stroke, there is no damping in the reverse direction. Below is a video of the phenomenon. When the mechanism moves left and lengthens the damper that is the reverse direction.

I fabricated the silver looking plate. It effectively lengthens the stroke of the damper giving it an opportunity to slow the pedal return to neutral. Note the "jump" - the dead spot before the damper engages and starts doing its job. The extra holes are in the plate so I could dial in the stroke. The hole its mounted in pretty much maximizes the stroke in both directions.

I'm considering doing some drawings, have some parts fabricated/modified and putting kits together for sale. Just trying to gauge if there is any interest out there.

I believe you will find a market if you can find them if you have proof/endorsements of working as promised and a reasonable price. Your not the first person to declare a fix here on TBN and then the inventor/fixer fades away to never be heard from again. Guess some of us are skeptical that Kubota engineers could never find a fix for something they never admitted was wrong but the next model doesn't have the issue and the change from the 50 series to 60 series was much shorter than the other model changes.Yes, I had a 50 series and rec'd some financial incentive for trading it to a 60 series after a few months of complaining. Wasn't treated as well on my complaining of my BX25-1 that continued to roll after the go pedal was released and I also dumped it fairly quick.
Hope your fix works and you help some owners and make some money.

/ BX2350/BX24 Abrupt Reverse Stop #43  
I believe you will find a market if you can find them if you have proof/endorsements of working as promised and a reasonable price. Your not the first person to declare a fix here on TBN and then the inventor/fixer fades away to never be heard from again. Guess some of us are skeptical that Kubota engineers could never find a fix for something they never admitted was wrong but the next model doesn't have the issue and the change from the 50 series to 60 series was much shorter than the other model changes.Yes, I had a 50 series and rec'd some financial incentive for trading it to a 60 series after a few months of complaining. Wasn't treated as well on my complaining of my BX25-1 that continued to roll after the go pedal was released and I also dumped it fairly quick.
Hope your fix works and you help some owners and make some money.

Yep, I have the BX 25, which is the next model, and I remember them saying they fixed this problem in the brochure, and making a big deal out of it. It can still be a little jerky when you let your foot off the go pedal suddenly while in reverse, but if you let it off slowly, you don’t get the abrupt stop. It’s kind of like the way we brake our vehicles. When you’re just learning, you put their foot on the brake and hold it down at the same level until the car stops, which results in a very abrupt stop. But, and this is almost unconscious, when experienced drivers stop, they let the pressure off the brake pedal just at the very last second, so that the car stops smoothly.

/ BX2350/BX24 Abrupt Reverse Stop #44  
I own a BX2350 and to be honest, I wouldn't spend the money for a fix. Someone years ago posted the best way to control is to lift up on the forward pedal to reverse. For what ever reason it is easier to control that way. I actually disconnected my damper since it was hanging up some and causing the tractor not to stop, mostly when going forward.

/ BX2350/BX24 Abrupt Reverse Stop #45  
Folks,

I'd be glad to test one for you and post feedback!! :D Seriously though, thanks for sharing your work. If the fix works, I'll be inline to buy one!

/ BX2350/BX24 Abrupt Reverse Stop #46  
Yep, I have the BX 25, which is the next model, and I remember them saying they fixed this problem in the brochure, and making a big deal out of it. It can still be a little jerky when you let your foot off the go pedal suddenly while in reverse, but if you let it off slowly, you don稚 get the abrupt stop. Itç—´ kind of like the way we brake our vehicles. When youæ±*e just learning, you put their foot on the brake and hold it down at the same level until the car stops, which results in a very abrupt stop. But, and this is almost unconscious, when experienced drivers stop, they let the pressure off the brake pedal just at the very last second, so that the car stops smoothly.

I now have BX25D as well. (sold the 2350) They did fix it. Mine doesn't jerk at all. Interestingly enough they did it in a very similar fashion that I came up with, effectively lengthening the distance between the pedal pivot and the damper connection. They also changed the damper. The mechanism is more complicated than it needs to be IMO but hey it works.

/ BX2350/BX24 Abrupt Reverse Stop #47  
I now have BX25D as well. (sold the 2350) They did fix it. Mine doesn't jerk at all. Interestingly enough they did it in a very similar fashion that I came up with, effectively lengthening the distance between the pedal pivot and the damper connection. They also changed the damper. The mechanism is more complicated than it needs to be IMO but hey it works.

And then on the other hand, they went too far with the BXX70 series. My BX2670 rolls on and on. I have to change directions to stop by treading the pedal.