BX2350 - Can you add a backhoe

/ BX2350 - Can you add a backhoe #12  
Greetings. Long time lurker, first time poster. I Purchased a new BX2200 a little over 4 years ago, and other than the fuel leak that has been experienced by many others (and that was repaired under warrenty) I have had no problems. This summer I decided that I needed a Backhoe, so I checked out a new BX24. I'm sure that it is a fine machine, but I just could'nt bring myself to pay $17000+ for a plastic tractor, so I researched the Woods BH6000. I had some initial concerns about frame flex and compatibility, but after talking with the Woods dealer, I decided to get the BH6000 with a frame mount. I paid about $5800 after tax and install, and could'nt be happier!:D It does everything I ask of it with power to spare. I am a fraction of an inch under 6' tall and have absoloutely no problem with my stock ROPS. As for the crushing hazzard mentioned before...:confused: I suppose that if you were standing behind the tractor while opperating the BH...:confused: Otherwise seated normally with your feet positioned normally on the work platform, I just don't see it. If you get the frame mount, you can't go wrong with this setup...

/ BX2350 - Can you add a backhoe #13  
Dusty said:
Where are these reports? I have not heard of any injuries such as you describe.

Dusty, you might want to read this by Steve Carver. Steve used to participate a great deal more on TBN, was a very valuable source of information, etc., and I remember when he first posted the story about the young man he knew who was killed by this very problem.

/ BX2350 - Can you add a backhoe #14  
KubZilla said:
Greetings. Long time lurker, first time poster.

Welcome to the forum!

It does everything I ask of it with power to spare. I am a fraction of an inch under 6' tall and have absoloutely no problem with my stock ROPS.

This is my experience too, although I'm only 5'8". I am able to use the BH with my Curtis cab as well, only removing the back panel.

As for the crushing hazzard mentioned before...:confused: I suppose that if you were standing behind the tractor while opperating the BH...:confused: Otherwise seated normally with your feet positioned normally on the work platform, I just don't see it. If you get the frame mount, you can't go wrong with this setup...

Agreed, I can't picture a situation where the BH and the ROPS would come close enough to crush you between them. Not while mounted on the tractor, anyway.:confused:

LBrown59, I know this aftermarket BH is a sore spot with you but it is a very viable solution for a lot of people. It's not a 3PH mount it's a 4 point sub frame mount just like the Kubota factory BH. And the ROPS height just isn't an issue if you fit under it when you're belted into the seat. If not, then it was an issue even before you added a back hoe.

/ BX2350 - Can you add a backhoe #15  
HI FOLKS
I guess I dont understand.If you buy an aftermarket backhoe which has its own seat arent you actually out from under your rops whether short or not? I can see you crushing your feet putting up the downriggers,heck ive almost done that by not keeping them on the hoe,and carelessly hanging them over the side.I guess i dont get how one gets pinned under the rops.:confused:
ALAN

/ BX2350 - Can you add a backhoe #16  
escavader said:
HI FOLKS
I guess I dont understand.If you buy an aftermarket backhoe which has its own seat arent you actually out from under your rops whether short or not? I can see you crushing your feet putting up the downriggers,heck ive almost done that by not keeping them on the hoe,and carelessly hanging them over the side.I guess i dont get how one gets pinned under the rops.:confused:
ALAN

Alan, if a tractor comes with a backhoe, it usually either has a folding ROPS you can put down, or it has a much taller ROPS, but on the aftermarket (3-point type only), yes, it has its own seat behind the ROPS, but if the 3-point hitch is not securely locked down, the whole unit can rise up, pushing the operator up against the ROPS and with his body also against the control levers so he can't move them, he can certainly get crushed.

/ BX2350 - Can you add a backhoe #17  
Bird said:
Alan, if a tractor comes with a backhoe, it usually either has a folding ROPS you can put down, or it has a much taller ROPS, but on the aftermarket (3-point type only), yes, it has its own seat behind the ROPS, but if the 3-point hitch is not securely locked down, the whole unit can rise up, pushing the operator up against the ROPS and with his body also against the control levers so he can't move them, he can certainly get crushed.
HI BIRD
I think I understand,the whole unit pivots up.Im searching for a pic of a tractor with an aftermarket hoe.What do you suppose to do to lock your 3 point.? I had never heard of this before.Not doubting it has happened.I just pictured in my mind the hoe being attached to a ridgid subframe,and no matter what moved as one with the tractor frame.Guess ill never stop learning on TBN.
ALAN

/ BX2350 - Can you add a backhoe #18  
Yep, Alan, if the hoe is attached to a solid subframe, you won't have that problem. I never owned a backhoe myself; only read about them and looked at them and could see how the 3-point types might be dangerous. Such accidents are, of course, quite rare, but can also be quite serious, even deadly.

/ BX2350 - Can you add a backhoe #19  
Don't forget that Kubota (and the other mfg's) will VOID your warrantee if you use a 3pt backhoe. Obviously not for everything, but if you crack a housing or have differential or transmission problems, they probably won't cover it.

THere is a lot of force on the tractor from a hoe and the extra twisting and wiggling from a 3pt mount makes it harder on the tractor.

jb

/ BX2350 - Can you add a backhoe #20  
KubZilla said:
1*I am a fraction of an inch under 6' tall and have absoloutely no problem with my stock ROPS. As for the crushing hazzard mentioned before...:confused:
2*I suppose that if you were standing behind the tractor while opperating the BH...:confused: Otherwise seated normally with your feet positioned normally on the work platform, I just don't see it.
1*Then why do you think the BX24 and BX23 Tractors have taller ROPS than the other BX Models?
2*mounted back hoe