BX24 Fram Filters..........

/ BX24 Fram Filters.......... #21  
As some here know, I am involved in an industry that repairs vehicles and have actuarial statistics on breakdowns as well as COF (cause of failure). I could go on for pages on the problems with Fram filters. That doesn't mean that someone won't come on and say that they've used Fram filters for XX years with no problems. As far as that goes, an old college buddy has a Chevy Chevette that has over 200k miles on it and feels as if it is one of the best cars ever made. I have a 1962 Chevy Biscayne with 100k miles on it and it never came with any sort of oil filter and never had one on it! It still runs fine. Does that mean engines don't need any oil filter? Same logic.

The fact is Fram makes the least expensive filters. Besides filtering, there are valves inside the filters that must perform correctly such as a valve to prevent flow back (keeps from having all the oil flow back down out of the upper engine) and a bypass valve (allows oil flow when the filter element is clogged. Both of these valves are considered "unacceptable" in Fram filters. Also the oil flow of a filter is very important. If you have a very small micron filter element (traps smaller particles), it must have a far larger surface area or it restricts oil flow. If you have a small surface area of the filter membrane (like on Fram), the filter element allows larger particles to pass through. Finally, there is the actual can itself. I can crush Fram filters with my hands like a soda can. If that filter is struck by a stick or rock etc., it is much more likely to break than other brand filters. Also, I have had two Fram filters blow their can apart when I used to use them. One was on a VW Baja Bug. I missed a gear and redlined the tach and the Fram can sort of exploded. Again, I could go on for page after page of similar Fram problems but I see no need.

I'm definitely in the camp of people who wouldn't touch anything with the Fram name on it. I have nothing with an engine that I consider worthless or disposable. There are plenty of quality filters from Baldwin, Donaldson, Wix etc. that are readily available and made far better than Fram. I'll summarize what statistics tells me about Fram filters; Fram filters are trash. But, it's your equipment. What is your equipment worth to you? If you feel it's worth risking your equipment to save a couple of bucks, that's your choice.

Double AMEN to that!!

/ BX24 Fram Filters.......... #22  
What is your tractor worth to you? The quality of Fram went down the toilet when Allied Signal bought them out. I would not touch them with a ten foot pole. If all you want to do is save a buck or two, I would thing twice about it. Other brands do exist.

JMHO.

Why is that? Since there is cardboard in the top section? Whom cares.If you do UOA's you will not notice anything nor care what filter is on there.

Everyone knocks them but have little data to support it. I have used others and I will take a Fram over wix (napa gold) and super Chinamart...Fram out sellls all filters out there. /

As far as the racing story. SO you redlined and engine it is an oil filters fault! LOL.

/ BX24 Fram Filters.......... #23  
I don't mean to be sarcastic sw03, but without any doubt, Fram makes the absolute cheapest and worst quality oil filters. As I said, I'm in the business and have seen the statistics. Again, it's your money, so if you want to buy the worst oil filter available, that's your choice. Just don't expect people not to laugh when you say Fram is better than others. And, missing a gear in my old Baja Bug is not a "racing story". No other filter has such a thin and cheap can and no other brand filters have had similar failures. LOL all you want. In my opinion, you may very well be better off looping your oil filter port sans any filter as opposed to using a Fram where there are plenty of cases of where engine damage occurred due to the cheap filter membrane coming apart and plugging oil passages.

When that happens, the Magnuson-Moss Act does not help the consumer since, when this happens, the consumer in effect caused the failure by using an inferior product that caused the damage. Magnuson-Moss forces manufacturers to allow consumers to use whatever maintenance products they desire (as opposed to having to use the overpriced, at times, factory part) as long as they are of like kind and quality. In these cases it's been proven that Fram does NOT make like kind and quality; thus the failure that the manufacturer is not required to cover. But, as I've always stated, use whatever you want. Don't even change your oil if you don't want to. It's your money and your equipment. I don't sell any parts and have no vested interest in pushing any brand. I just speak up to hopefully prevent someone who doesn't know better being confused into thinking that Fram makes a quality oil filter. Fram is a cheap filter; actually the cheapest. That completely explains their volume of sales. If price is the only factor when buying a filter, well, either do without or try a Fram. If a Fram filter causes you to completely lose an engine, take them to court. They'll stand behind their quality filter and cover your engine. ROFL

/ BX24 Fram Filters.......... #24  
I respect that. I am just saying I have run wix, super ghettomart and fram and you will see no diff in UOA. I have used them for years and still do. I am using Amsoil EaO filter (have used for years in other equ) and need to compare to others. It better be 4X's better in wear and other others or it is not worth it. I have also see toyo filter and they look just as bad as Fram..

I have yet to have an engine failure due ot any oil filter, that is any or engine oil; no matter how long in there. 5K miles of 17K miles..No sludge issues, poor mpg etc etc.

/ BX24 Fram Filters.......... #25  
I am using Amsoil EaO filter (have used for years in other equ) and need to compare to others. It better be 4X's better in wear and other others or it is not worth it.

I have no info on those filters but assume they are pretty darn good. And, yup, I'll admit, I've been too cheap to buy one. :eek: If it works really well, let us know. My stats have way too small of a sampling from those filters to make any possible type of assessment.

/ BX24 Fram Filters.......... #26  
I go with Mobil1 on both our vehicles. Mobil1 extended (15000 miles between changes)

See to change oil every 3000 miles is an American thing. European mile standard is much much higher.

I saw a write up on electronic dipstick in last JP magazine; it monitors the oil additives and lets you know when it goes critical.

/ BX24 Fram Filters.......... #27  
Kubota filters expensive? I went to NAPA last week to get an oil filter and they crossed refferenced my Fram filter and gave me a NAPA filter. When he said $9.22 for the oil filter my jaw hit the floor. Needless to say im not buying filters from NAPA anymore. It was a NAPA gold or something, better be flake of gold in there for that $.

/ BX24 Fram Filters.......... #28  
Kubota filters expensive? I went to NAPA last week to get an oil filter and they crossed refferenced my Fram filter and gave me a NAPA filter. When he said $9.22 for the oil filter my jaw hit the floor. Needless to say im not buying filters from NAPA anymore. It was a NAPA gold or something, better be flake of gold in there for that $.

What is an engine worth? What is your tractor worth? I am not rich, getting rather tight fisted in my old age (36), but did not have a problem paying $15 for the filters for our 1523. I know of one person who was on the receiving end of a fram with no check valve, cost them an engine.

/ BX24 Fram Filters.......... #29  
but show me another less costly filter that will not work just fine too? I have seen other non-fram with issues also. I use other filters as noted above but the scare tastic saying "what is an engine worth it, well <$$^^&&&..

I get salesman saying the same thing about, hyd fluid, engine oils, tires, brakes etc...Again, unless some shows me several UOA using a fram in one engine for XX hours and a non-fram for XXX hours in same engine, then I would buy 50% of it...

/ BX24 Fram Filters.......... #30  
I realize how important fluid maintenance is. I just dont buy into the BEST and most others are junk. I suppose the companys that were making such bad parts would be out of business. Especially something like oil filters, everybody uses them.There are only a handful of brand names and just about everybody on the planet knows who they are. We claim that some are good and others are bad but HOW do we really know? Generally you get what you pay for in life but there are some overpriced items waiting for uninformed buyers. Most of these types of parts are made by the same manufacturers. I know for a fact that the same company and plant that makes interstate batteries also makes die hard and several others under the same roof(Johnson Controlls). The specifications are not the same however the cheaper lines are not thrown together either. Its a less expensive product but is still a quality product. Perhaps a chevy to a bmw? I dont know if thats a good comparison but it comes to mind. My original post was referring that i could have bought OEM for perhaps less that a parts store filter.