C.A.V. Injector pump problems?

/ C.A.V. Injector pump problems?
Hope you don't mind that I'm adding to this, but I figured out the whole problem today. There is a little adapter thing that mounts to the driveshaft inside the pump, and the other end bolts to the timing gear. Makes it really easy to remove and replace the pump without worrying about the timing. Getting to the point, the bolt that holds this adapter to the pump had come loose and fallen out, and was rattling around the timing gear. I bought a new bolt, put everything back together, and presto, tractor runs great. I hope that this will help somebody somewhere down the road. I know that I get a lot of help from this site. The newest peice of machinery we have is a '78 j.d. baler. Needless to say, we do a lot of mechanic work.

/ C.A.V. Injector pump problems? #12  
Hello, new here.a question while you are on the injector pump subject. I have a 2200 with a CAV pump. Last time i ran it in December the fuel was leaking pretty hard out of the pump at the top near the linkage for the shut off and throttle. Fired it up this weekend and worked it several time and it has not leaked yet? Anyone have any explanation? I also wonder if there may be some fix other than a rebuild should it start to leak again.
Thanks,
SCM

If its anything like mine, it just sounds like new gaskets. For identification, My pump had a metal tag almost on the bottom of the pump with all sorts of numbers. If its not leaking now, maybe they swelled up again and are holding tight. Just keep an eye on it. If its coming form the linkage itself, which I got from reading your post a second time, mine has rubber grommets that go through the governor cover. If I can find a pic, I'll post it. If your fuel lines are on the top, then I may not be of much help. Somebody here will post with more accurate info.

/ C.A.V. Injector pump problems? #14  
G'day there are 'o' rings in the housing where the shafts come through if you have a local bepco dealer they do a kit which gives you the 'o' rings and the gasket pretty easy to fit just make sure you take note of what hole the spring is in ( you will see what i mean when you go to lift the cover):)

Jon

Here's that pic of a Pump somiliar to mine. Banjodunn is correct about paying attention to where the gorvernor springs are. This pump is on multiple machines, from CAT to Allis and so on. The spring location changes a lot of the function. I hope nobody minds that I took this pic from the net. Found it with a google search.

dpapump_030.jpg

BTW, the two odd nuts kinda centered are the only two that you need to take off. That whole cover comes off, look at the spring location, then you take off the nuts above the throttle linkage and the kill knob linkage, the linkage comes off, then all you do is punch the remaining parts from the top. Change your seals and gaskets and there you go! A dry injector pump. On the 165, its really easy to do.

Last edited:
   / C.A.V. Injector pump problems? #17  
gengine,Is that bolt that holds the adapter thing, an allen head bolt?

/ C.A.V. Injector pump problems? #18  
Thanks GENGINE i did the job, my CAV injection pump was leaking at the shut of lever, i get the gasket kit from diesel shop, it takes me about an hour to do on my IHb275, very easy to do, i want to add some tips, to help others, the most important thing you have to do is to be carefull not to drop foreign matters in the VAC pump it will damage the plunger and cost about 500$ to rebuilt, i used a brake cleaner to remove dust and grease from the pump, clean clothes, my compressor to blow the remaining dust..........and you are done

Last edited:
gengine,Is that bolt that holds the adapter thing, an allen head bolt?

I'm sure by now you've found out, but if anybody else looking needs to know, on my Massey, yes it was an allen head bolt. Less than a buck at the local hardware store. Good luck!!

/ C.A.V. Injector pump problems? #20  
Need a CAV injector pump for a 1965 Ford 2000 Diesel DPA 3232 958