Cab for snow throwing (GC2400)

/ Cab for snow throwing (GC2400)
A progress report: 1) I have decided on the attachment point on the tractor, Using the four pre-drilled holes in the FEL mounts for the front and I have fabbed a 13" pieces of lite angle (bed frame) with slots to fit under the outer ROP bolts. 2) I have used scrap to layout a rough frame to establish rough measurements and sizes. 3) I have spent much thought on how to mount the driver side door, and at this point am considering on making the whole side the door. 4) It looks like I will be using 24"X30"X.1" sheets of plexiglas for the windows. Five sheets and maybe a couple of smaller

Why you ask about the door? Because there is no easy midpoint hard point to attach a substantial framing member to hang the door. I don't want to cut into the plastic fenders to mount it.

Some things still to be determined. Do I want to construct it as a unit? two pieces (roof and walls?) Or maybe each side can be independent pieces and the cab installed on the tractor mounts piece by piece.

I am still estimating this whole thing to be ~$300 or even less. Plexiglas is still the single highest item ~$100.

/ Cab for snow throwing (GC2400) #22  
I am still estimating this whole thing to be ~$300 or even less. Plexiglas is still the single highest item ~$100.

I did this once, you want to use real glass for the windshield. Since it has to be laminated safety glass, and your going to want an electric wiper, when you figure those in, you will not make that budget.

Ray, you are absolutely correct. I might add them later. If I use glass, I will look for an abandoned school bus, and use the rear window glass. At this point I am more interested in getting inside out of the wind/blowing snow.

I must admit the estimate is low because much of the materials are just laying around my shop, especially the wood and metal.

/ Cab for snow throwing (GC2400) #24  
I will look for an abandoned school bus, and use the rear window glass.

Perhaps they are on a school bus, but rear windows are not usually laminated glass. :confused:

I made a frame out of 10 ga. and had the glass shop cut the glass to fit it.

If I can get the picture loaded I have two of the left and right rear mount points/hardware.

Attachments

• Left rear mount.jpg
    Left rear mount.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 249
  • right rear mount.jpg
    right rear mount.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 221
   / Cab for snow throwing (GC2400) #26  
If I can get the picture loaded I have two of the left and right rear mount points/hardware.

Interesting, so you're building the cab outside the ROPS.

Interesting, so you're building the cab outside the ROPS.
Yup! Still want the protection and support of the ROP. Here's some more progress picture. At this point the only things not just tacked are the front mounts.

Attachments

• driver suide mount.jpg
    driver suide mount.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 240
  • passenger side mount.jpg
    passenger side mount.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 207
  • roughed in front.jpg
    roughed in front.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 269
  • rear drivers side mount.jpg
    rear drivers side mount.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 247
Well, made a lot of progress in the past two days, but don't have any pics. Had to put project on hold to go see Mom in hospital in MI. Darn, we are going to get blasted in a coupla days, too.

What I can tell you guys is this cab is rock solid. The front and rear are framed and the frame members are bolted and/or screwed together. The top is framed but no skin. The right side has been framed, and the driver side frame is cut and ready for install. Next I need to duplicate the driver's side frame for a door. Decide where to place the windows so that I can cut and install the needed cross members to mount them.

The top comes off with four screws. I might replace the screw with bolts to have an option to remove the whole cab as a unit. To do that it will take remove 12 bolts from the mount points I showed in the earlier pics.

If I decide to make the sides removable, I will need to remove the existing frame screws before skinning the sides. I am considering finishing it as is and then modifying it next summer.

/ Cab for snow throwing (GC2400) #29  
havent built one for the GC yet but on all of my smaller tractors the cabs where grey PVC conduit, tarp, and plexiglass and all worked well ... light weight for easy removal (not a big guy by any means)and most folded flat for easy summer storage .. and one issue i have with the GC constantly because of my size ...... i lean any direction in the seat and the safety switch does its job .. alot of near engine stalls and frustrated mumbleing :mad:

/ Cab for snow throwing (GC2400) #30  
one issue i have with the GC constantly because of my size ...... i lean any direction in the seat and the safety switch does its job .. alot of near engine stalls and frustrated mumbleing :mad:

There is a "fix" for that. :thumbsup: