Buying Advice Cab or no cab?

/ Cab or no cab? #1  

Rich_Z

Silver Member
Tractor
TYM T474HC
OK, so this will be my first tractor, IF I do buy one. Maybe my last one, too, as I turned 73 recently and don't imagine this will be a periodic thing for me to do over my remaining years.

BTW, my apologies if this is posted in the wrong place. I looked for a section for newbie style questions, but didn't find one.

I am located in north Florida. 50 acres of mostly heavily wooded land. Getting to where doing minor clearing manually is no longer as much fun as it used to be. I had a heart attack last year. Wife has diagnosed with stage 4 ovarian cancer last year. Yeah 2022 REALLY sucked. So, things are stacking against us to be doing a lot of (any?) heavy lifting. I don't know how much and for how long I will have my wife's help when I just need an extra pair of hands. And the hands and arms I have just ain't what they used to be, neither. A couple of weeks ago when I wanted to move a concrete bird bath across the yard, that got me to REALLY thinking that something to help me with the lifting would have been nice to have. Something like an engine hoist on wheels, even.

So I believe I need motorized help. Friend of mine has a tractor and has come over several times to help me with some things. He would just shake his head and tell me he doesn't understand why I haven't bought a tractor a long time ago. "Good exercise" I would tell him, doing this all manually. But things have changed. Of course he says he will always be here to help me, but he has his own medical problems and I can't expect to keep leaning on him for tractor help.

Here in north Florida, we have a few seasons where riding an open tractor into the woods might not be a pleasant experience. Yellow fly season, mosquito season, hot and humid season, and the fall ground nesting habits of yellow jackets are always an unpleasant surprise. Oh yeah, and those large spiders forming webs at unexpected places between the trees. Not keen on getting those webs wrapped around my face. All seem to point to having a cab on a tractor so I could keep on tractoring, regardless of those environmental hurtles and unpleasant surprises.

But I have some doubts. I want a smaller tractor, likely one of the less than 25 horsepower models. My plan is to clear AROUND most of the trees, not try to knock them over or dig them up. So small size would help with that. Now, I know air conditioning robs horsepower from any engine it is attached to. How much would the air conditioning in a cab on a 25 horsepower tractor impact the usefulness of the thing? Wouldn't make much sense to have to choose between using the AC or running a flail mower when needed, if the tractor didn't have the power to run both simultaneously, now would it? So is there a MINIMUM horsepower rating for a tractor engine below which having a cab with AC is just pure folly?

And there is the issue of driving through woods with the cab. Are they designed to take some arguments with tree branches and not get damaged excessively? The way I am thinking about it, I WILL have tree branches to contend with. But it is not too bad. Mostly small saplings that I would want to take out anyway. Pine trees tend to put their branches up high around here. I guess I would rather have those branches scraping and slapping at the cab rather than my head and upper body. And I suppose the ROP guard would likely catch many of them anyway, just hopefully not bending them forward and down to knock my hat off. I guess I could take the time with a polesaw to take out many of the lower branches, but that puts me back in the environmental concerns that had me thinking about getting the cab in the first place. Walking through the woods with a pole saw would not be any more fun than driving through the woods at those above mentioned challenging seasons.

Are the doors and windows of these cabs field replaceable repairs? And are they made of actual glass (perhaps impact resistant?) or just some plastic that would get scratched all to hell from the branches?

Just a silly idea wanting to get a small tractor with a cab anyway? Suck it up, buttercup, face the elements and take the scars? Or just sell the place and go live in a condo on the beach and forget about the whole thing?

Yeah, I know. Expecting answers mostly beginning with "Well, it depends......."

/ Cab or no cab? #2  
I just turned 72 myself. I am about as far away from Florida as a person can be and still be in the lower 48. I Live in desert country. If the temperatures are mild I prefer the open station, but being desert, there are fewer nasty little bugs. When it is blistering hot and dusty or freezing cold with wind and snow, the Cab tractor is the one I use. In Florida, I can't think of any reason to not choose the cab tractor.
For 50 acres, I think you might be looking at too small of a tractor. The one in my icon is 50 hp and I am on 20 acres. Between mowing, grading roads and in particular, clearing snow (not your problem, I know) the 50hp is about right. For 50 acres in Florida, I think something in the 35 to 45 hp range might be better. I really don't notice the AC drawing away noticeable power.
The glass in the doors in particular, are going to be a bit much for single handed field repair. Mine are fairly thick tempered glass and I wouldn't want to have to buy them. I believe I read where it cost one member around $1000 for the door glass. Keep the doors closed when moving and don't roll the tractor, and I don't think replacing door glass will be a problem.
My recommendation would be a 40ish or more horsepower cab tractor with a hydrostat transmission, a loader, weighing in the 3500 pound range. My recommended color in alphabetical order would be blue, green, orange, red. In other words, check them all out for features, comfort and price.
You might want to check Hank Hamilton's YouTube channel. He is in the Florida panhandle area. Also check out Tracto Time with Tim on YouTube. He does a lot of work with his John Deere 1025R.
Words that are almost never heard in the tractor world: "I wish I had gotten a less horsepower tractor."

/ Cab or no cab? #3  
After a swarm of angry wasp was swarming my cab yesterday I felt like it was pretty useful. I don’t know that they even offer a cab on a 25 hp machine though. Even if they do your suspicions about being underpowered are probably correct. They don’t necessarily build 25 hp tractors because they’re good. They do it to avoid emissions regulations. They were already underpowered before the ac kicks in.

/ Cab or no cab? #4  
There are several trees on our 3-1/2 acres, and I take care when operating near them. There's always that minute of distraction that could ruin a $1,200 plastic lid on the cab. Not sure how I'd cope with "heavily wooded". Before this tractor I had an L3200 with a 6' rear mower. The goal was to replace it with something that has A/C and would handle a 7-1/2' rear mower. Added 5 HP for each of those and the 42 HP tractor works well.

The current ride has a factory cab with climate control and at 74 I really appreciate being able to operate it comfortably in any weather. It also keeps pollen, dust and bugs at bay. Mosquitoes show up around dusk most of the Summer and for a few weeks each year the biting deer flies would really bother me on the open station tractors. Now I smile at them as they bounce off the glass.

/ Cab or no cab? #5  
Wrestled with this question myself lately. According to my dealer's advertising, and not something I know myself, the dealer's ad claims the TYM T394C is the lowest priced cab tractor with HST in the 35-45HP range in the USA. It's powered by a 37 hp yanmar engine, and the lowest price I found on the HST in Middle TN was $29,000. The 48 hp T474 cab is powered by a Kukje all mechanical engine, and the price of that is running a few thousand more. There are those who prefer the all mechanical engine as being easier to repair and those that feel the extra HP is worth the extra price.

Running into tree branches with a cab is going to result in something broken on the cab and that's going to cost you money to repair.

If you are going to cut a bunch of tree branches or have downed limbs to deal with, then get the third function added to your tractor and buy a grapple so you can use your tractor to move the limbs and trees. This will be a great labor saver for you. You can buy a small grapple from MTL attachments for $1,400 or you can spend more and get a larger one.

Last edited:
   / Cab or no cab? #6  
I agree that 50 hp is a sweet spot for most acreage properties. Tractors are very capable in this size. I have seen some good looking 30ish hp cab tractors that look very nice. I'm 70 if that matters and I skipped the cab for increased visibility and cost savings. Neighbor spent the big money on a cab tractor about the same size. He has allergies - the cab with hepa filtered air helps him cope with pollen and dust.
I admit it does sound nice to be out of the elements. I would be concerned about tree limbs on a very wooded property.
For me 90º of my work is behind the tractor and being able to see the hitch and the attachment engagement is priority #1.

/ Cab or no cab? #7  
I’d also bump up the size and horsepower you are looking at. The advantage of 25hp and under is emissions. People deal with emissions equipment and most are trouble free. And get the cab.

/ Cab or no cab? #10  
I just picked up a small cabbed tractor this summer, a Kioti CK2620SEHC.
This is a 25 Hp cabbed tractor with the hydrostatic transmission and AC. The hydro does suck up some HP and the AC definitely does. Working the little tractor around the house and yard I haven't noticed the HP loss of the AC. Using the tractor on my driveway while going downhill is no problem. Once I get to the bottom and start back up the AC is definitely sucking HPwhile traveling up hill in mid range and full throttle I have to back off the go pedal considerably, Just to see the difference I have reached up and tuned off the AC a few times it makes a considerable difference in the travel speed.
That said at 72 I love the cabs on my tractors, and I have no desire to not have them.