California Drought

/ California Drought #811  
a-cool-guide-to-a-warming-climate-v0-f3y5524jtwmc1.jpeg
They can’t tell you what a woman is, or where a virus originated from yesterday, but they can tell you exactly what the temperature was 22,000 years ago 🙄

/ California Drought #812  
That can’t be. Everyone is leaving CA according to the experts
it's even weirder than many people think.

When my wife and I first moved to Nevada, we bought a brand new home in a Del Webb development. Close to the border, our intention was to live there a majority of the time, as actual residents, while we wound things down in CA. We moved and lived there, including furnishings, driver licenses, doctors, dentists, etc. Spent more than 50% of the time there-- just like "normal" new residents even though we still owned our former house in CA.

We bought a ready-made Del Webb home. In our part of the development it was over 90% sold out. The first week we lived there, we noticed at night all the houses were dark. Also the second week, and on and on. We could see a dozen or more houses, but our house was the only one with lights on. Dang did these people go to bed before the sun went down, or what?

I asked the RE broker what the deal was. He said it was CA residents who bought a home to claim Nevada residency and avoid the CA income tax. Whoa! So these people "lived" in Nevada officially, but rarely visited. That's really stupid in my opinion, but a great number of people were doing it.

So-- what does it mean to "move" out of California?

/ California Drought #813  
The California drought will soon be corrected. Rising insurance rates on homes and vehicles is driving folks to other states. Those who can afford to remain will have plenty of water.

Lets face it - an uber large city in the desert was a bad idea in the beginning - it sure as Hell has not got any better now.

/ California Drought #814  
The California drought will soon be corrected. Rising insurance rates on homes and vehicles is driving folks to other states. Those who can afford to remain will have plenty of water.

Lets face it - an uber large city in the desert was a bad idea in the beginning - it sure as Hell has not got any better now.

Exactly! Las Vegas in Nevada is a prime example. 3 million people in the desert with only one source of water - the Colorado River. Which is being sucked dry slowly but surely.

/ California Drought #815  

Nah. Ag gets some 80% of all the water so people departing will just leave more for ag.

Agree that putting a city in the middle of the desert is madness.

/ California Drought #816  

Possible but a lot of California… especially the Central Valley has deltas and fresh water in abundance flowing to the sea with Sacramento River being an example.

/ California Drought #817  
Nah. Ag gets some 80% of all the water so people departing will just leave more for ag.

Agree that putting a city in the middle of the desert is madness.
I wonder: What is the largest city abandoned city in America? California City is geographically the largest, but I don't think many ever lived there. A few houses remain occupied. Most ghost towns peaked around 10,000 residents before they were abandoned. Historically, big cities take a long time to die, usually because of environmental changes.

/ California Drought #818  
I wonder: What is the largest city abandoned city in America? California City is geographically the largest, but I don't think many ever lived there. A few houses remain occupied. Most ghost towns peaked around 10,000 residents before they were abandoned. Historically, big cities take a long time to die, usually because of environmental changes.
Interesting question. Here's one take.

Answer
The largest city population-wise in the US to later become a ghost town was Goldfield, Nevada. Established in 1902, Goldfield quickly became the most influential, richest, and largest city in Nevada, with a peak population of 20,000 people. However, due to a significant gold discovery in 1904 followed by mine declines and natural disasters like flash floods and fires, the population dwindled down to about 1,500 by 1910, leading to its eventual decline and transformation into a "living ghost town" with around 250 residents

/ California Drought #819  
Detroit was on it's way to becoming a ghost town with >50% of it's population gone since 1990.
Looks like it is stabilizing now.

Cali population was still increasing as of 2020. Down about 430,000 to 2023 though. Drop in the bucket as the state has 39,000,000 million or so people.

/ California Drought #820  
The town that I live closest to has a little over 5,000 residents.