California Drought

/ California Drought #831  
   / California Drought #832  
Last edited:
   / California Drought #833  
Just read 7 to 0 court decision mandating pay for employees required to pass through company security coming and going...

Some very large employers do this and Apple listed as one...

Time studies bore out the fact it's easily another 15 minutes each way.

Also mandates employees pay for lunch breaks and other breaks if employees are not free to leave the workplace...

Will this spread to more states?

/ California Drought #834  

Personally I'm partial to eating fruits and nuts, not hay and grain. So I hope they stay with them!
The state of fruits and nuts....and goofy agenda and laws.

Just read 7 to 0 court decision mandating pay for employees required to pass through company security coming and going...

Some very large employers do this and Apple listed as one...

Time studies bore out the fact it's easily another 15 minutes each way.

Also mandates employees pay for lunch breaks and other breaks if employees are not free to leave the workplace...

Will this spread to more states?
It just seemed like yesterday when alligatoritus hit and everyone worked from home... Glad I don't have to mess with that security bs to that degree.

/ California Drought #835  
New water storage being created in CA. The water needs to be pumped to be used if/when a drought arrives.

"Hydro will fulfill half the energy needs for pumping. "Renewable sources" will provide the other half."

I have not heard of using solar panels to pump water and if that can be done efficiently in large volume it would be interesting. Seems kind of a stretch for solar panels?

/ California Drought #836  
New water storage being created in CA. The water needs to be pumped to be used if/when a drought arrives.

"Hydro will fulfill half the energy needs for pumping. "Renewable sources" will provide the other half."

I have not heard of using solar panels to pump water and if that can be done efficiently in large volume it would be interesting. Seems kind of a stretch for solar panels?

Dam advocates are trying hard in California. The Sites project, and one near us have been floating around for years, with occasional bursts of activity. The latest price tag on our local one was so high, that they elected to raise a nearby dam (Los Banos) a few feet for a vastly larger increase in storage.

Yes, we need ways to smooth power demand and supply to account for variations in both. Pumped hydro is a solution. So are liquid batteries, aka flow batteries, thermal storage, batteries and EVs. At the moment, most pumped hydro is not even close to competitive with the alternatives on a cost /MWh. I think that's why the Sites advocates are pushing the potential for multiyear water transfer as an advantage. It is hard to price, and easy to make it sound as if it would be a profitable investment. However, that really isn't the case. Demand reductions, consumer, and agriculture, are much, much cheaper.

If you are interested, check out David Sedlak's new book on water sustainability;
and his older book;

(Disclaimer: I know the author)
Pumped hydro works best for a large height difference between the upper and lower reservoirs. The Sites dam isn't a great candidate to my mind, as it is flat, therefore prone to evaporation, and not much higher than the Sacramento river. Great for low energy filling, but not good at all for energy, especially when the water that cost energy to pump up evaporates.

Good discussion here;
The British have issues with demand power contracts that don't exist here in the US, but many of the other details are relevant. Pumped hydro does represent a reasonable way to store many hours or days of power, but at the end of the day, it is a $/MWh item. If it is only used a few times a year, the price per MWh becomes enormous. If the site is designed for day / night use, then maybe it can support six hours of production, so a better $/MWh, but it does mean that they have to buy power, pump water up fast enough to have enough to use for six hours. It also means that the site is unlikely to be great at longer term power production. Like any piece of equipment that isn't used often the cost per hour of use can be high, making it less competitive.

In my opinion, most of these projects are not adequately priced in advance, unrealistic assumptions are made about the cost, the number of jobs, the lifetime, and what the deconstruction cost will be. These are the reasons that the US has so many older, failing dams, with nobody left around to fix /deconstruct them, except taxpayers.

All the best,

Peter

/ California Drought #837  
It seems the CA drought was over-hyped by the media. Gloom, doom, and new labels like "megadrought." Even my meteorologist in Nevada rode the bandwagon.

Then it snapped back, as the cycles usually do, and the drought went "poof."

Now the hope among some people is: "when will the rains finally stop?" Given the deluge over the past two years, I expect the soggy weather will also be over-hyped.

Those lining up to make claims seem predictable. The anti-climate-change opponents are pointing to two years of water deluge as proof global warming does not exist. And the climate-change supporters are pointing to it as proof global warming does exist due to the severity of the "backlash" from drought to flooding.

I just wish both sides would stop conflating long term climate with short term weather. I see that this "anomoly" also took place back in the late 1800s ..

"That wet pattern has continued as winter has given way to spring, with this past weekend’s storm dumping up to 4 inches of rain in some areas — pushing Los Angeles to a new two-year rain total not seen since the late 1800s and forestalling any hope for a quick end to the rainy season. … With more than 30 million acre-feet of water in storage, the state’s reservoirs are at 116% of their historical average."

/ California Drought #838  
California seems to run on a 10 year drought cycle.
It is not doom/gloom, it just has to be dealt with and water reclamation is important.

Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it.

/ California Drought #839  
California seems to run on a 10 year drought cycle.
It is not doom/gloom, it just has to be dealt with and water reclamation is important.

Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it.
And some base their needs on the max in the 10 year cycle and want that amount to use and waste all the time.

Last edited:
   / California Drought #840  
I've been in So Cal for 46 yrs. I've seen wet and dry cycles. Hot and cold cycles. It's called weather.
Local farmers grow wheat. Some yrs it sprouts and dries up. Some yrs it's 2 and a half ft tall.
I've seen 3 inches of annual rainfall and 30 inches. There will be a good harvest this year as there was last yr.
Reservoirs are filling up and wells like ours (500 ft deep) are full. One thing for sure is it will be dry again sometime.
I heard Montana is in a dry spell.

Last edited: