California Drought

/ California Drought #841  
Just by chance a new article came along that gives a little more insight into how variable the snowpack can be:

"In the last 44 years we have only seen 13 years with a snowpack between 80% and 120% of the normal peak. That means that 70% of the time we either have a well above normal snowpack or a well below normal snowpack."

/ California Drought #842  
Just by chance a new article came along that gives a little more insight into how variable the snowpack can be:

"In the last 44 years we have only seen 13 years with a snowpack between 80% and 120% of the normal peak. That means that 70% of the time we either have a well above normal snowpack or a well below normal snowpack."

Pretty much how AVERAGE (Normal) works in real life. More on either end than in the middle.

/ California Drought #844  
There's plenty of water for 2024.

But going into the future there's still the problem of legally-enforceable entitlements greatly exceeding available supply.

The article notes there are presently 1m Californians with uncertainty over water purity or availability.

Also noted is that the proposed Delta Canal will divert the water that is needed to maintain the fisheries, and therefor the entire ecology, throughout the delta. (where Sacramento and San Joaquin rivers meet and feed into SF Bay).

/ California Drought #845  
A local (NorCal) water issue, infrastructure failure.

PGE's Lake Spaulding, its powerhouse, and the downstream canals are out of service. If you take the link to watch this video on YouTube, you can see the comments to this Blancolirio vid which clarify how lack of maintenance may be the cause.

Lake Spaulding was part of my 'back yard' when I was a kid. An hour or so from home. Dad took me primitive camping at the upper end many times. Believe it or not, by rowboat a couple of times, but that wasn't all the way to the upper end. Then he bought an outboard motor for me, as a little kid, to pilot. Dad loved the region, his father had been a mine superintendent nearby. Good memories.

The PGE canals downstream that are failing are left over from the Gold Rush days when selling water to the miners was more profitable than what most of the miners earned. Subsequent poor maintenance has been a recurring problem.

A search on 'PGE Spaulding' has more details.

Last edited:
   / California Drought #846  
That's a great video, and I thought that it was very well done by the presenter. It is not often that someone takes the time to fly their plane over the problem areas! It is indicative of what a century or so of deferred maintenance can do.

Thanks for posting it.

All the best,

Peter

/ California Drought #847  
... not often that someone takes the time to fly their plane over the problem areas!
I subscribed to Juan Browne (Blancolirio)'s YouTube channel when he had by far the best coverage of the Oroville Dam Spillway crisis. (I was real interested since my home in town is a couple of hours downstream.:eek: :)) For that he not only flew video missions like this Lake Spaulding episode, he continually gathered and presented real data on what was going on.

He can be a bit full of himself but deservedly, he's an international jumbo jet 777 pilot for (I think) American Airlines. Many of his YouTube posts are made from faraway places - Seoul , Nairobi, Paris etc. All are fascinating.

His YouTube emphasis is factual reporting on airline crashes and incidents such as that 737 doorway that blew out recently, described in the context of the continual training and industry standards he is immersed in. Flying his personal very small plane is a hobby he describes, along with motorcycle adventures, mostly in the Gold Country near his home.

In summary, that's a YouTube channel covering factual and interesting topics. A much better primary source than traditional 'news'. Recommended!

/ California Drought #848  
In summary, that's a YouTube channel covering factual and interesting topics. A much better primary source than traditional 'news'. Recommended!
Have to agree. He is a resource with great insight into many things even beyond flying. His analysis of the Dallas warbird midair was the best of any that tried.

I almost met him once. I bought a Beechcraft B-55 airplane from one of his closest friends. He was nearby when I took delivery of the plane, and I could have been introduced. But was more focused on the plane ...

/ California Drought #850  
It is. He was at Sac Executive airport the day I picked up the B-55. Should have taken time to meet him-- my bad!