Oil & Fuel California's Tough new rules for Diesel Engines

/ California's Tough new rules for Diesel Engines #31  
bx23barry said:
I agree it sucks to not be able to use serviceable equipment, but the fact is your dozer and any other equipment could be sold out of state (or out of country) and you and others could buy new compliant equipment without "terrible" hardship. It seems a small price to pay for the good of all. .

You may have the money to pull that off but not everybody does. I certainly couldn't. I'd have to sell my 44,000 lb excavator for about $15,000 and buy a new one for over $200,000. I think if the politicians make rules like this they should be forced to come up with a way to pay for it. I for one would not comply and let them stick me in jail. Politicans are worse than useless.
Andy

/ California's Tough new rules for Diesel Engines #32  
bx23barry said:
I agree it sucks to not be able to use serviceable equipment, but the fact is your dozer and any other equipment could be sold out of state (or out of country) and you and others could buy new compliant equipment without "terrible" hardship. It seems a small price to pay for the good of all. Of course that really doesn't help clean the air worldwide but we really have to start somewhere. If cleaner equipment is required in Calif. The manufactures will make them available everywhere. Without Calif. leading the way in the 60s (I remember the stink then and I had to put PVC on my 50 ford) we would be more behind the eight ball than we are now.
Man i keep jumping back on that soap box. Sorry just my take.

Who defines "good for all"?

/ California's Tough new rules for Diesel Engines
Barry... It wouldn't be a big deal IF the state implemented this diesel program the same way as the smog program...

Just for those that don't remember... In 1968, California implemented the first in the nation smog retro-fit program...

This program required that almost every vehicle, 1955 through 1965, be retrofitted with a PCV valve kit upon "Transfer of Ownership" at a cost not to exceed $35... Vehicle transfers between parents and children were exempt as well is all vehicles with factory fuel injection systems. I was very involved in the car business in the late 60's and part of my job was to install PCV kits.

All prior programs only applied to vehicles when sold... Of course all bets were off if OEM smog equipment had been removed or tampered with.

Even today... vehicles only need to meet the standard for when they were built... I guess the Diesel Equipment operators don't have a very good lobby in Sacramento....

Diesel cars and trucks... by the way are still exempt!!

Here a pix of my D3... which doesn't even go through one full tank of Diesel Fuel in a year.

Attachments

• D3 in Action.jpg
    D3 in Action.jpg
    285.7 KB · Views: 168
   / California's Tough new rules for Diesel Engines #34  
OK ,I live in the Bay area and own an older full size backhoe. I keep it at My const. yard and use it only once in a while . State doesn't even know I have it. How are they going to bust Me? P G E is dumping a lot of beautiful diesal equept. at the Benicia auction. Has to go outa Ca. never to return! There dumping 10 percent of there fleet. Some of this stuff is fairly new and looks great! Is a great deal for Your Wash. Buss.

/ California's Tough new rules for Diesel Engines #35  
My guess. The folks that think this new law is ducky ,are not self employed.
They're not out there making it on there own ,producing a product or service, Employing people ,creating jobs working 6 to 7 days working long Hrs.Meanwhile Swatzinkennedy is traveling on a Govt. or private jet mostly empty using huge amounts of fuel at our expense ! I HATE THESE PHONY LEMO LIBERALS. They produce nothing !

/ California's Tough new rules for Diesel Engines #36  
California said:
Shush. Quiet, Barry!

Z-Michigan you wouldn't like it here. Nobody comes here any more, it's too crowded. Watch old Hollywood Squares episodes with MrJimi to see what it's really like.

I've been to Kalifornia many times, and I have friends living in silicon valley, LA, and Pasadena. I know what it's all about, and that's why I'm not there!

I'm glad that so many Kalifornians like it out there, unlike the ones who dislike it just enough to move, and then screw up the states that they move into (I have no problem with the Kali refugees who are leaving and NOT screwing up the states they move into - but the outmigration seems to be quite a mix of good and bad).

/ California's Tough new rules for Diesel Engines #37  
I hope that all you California bashers realize that the State of Northern California is a completely different place.

Steve

/ California's Tough new rules for Diesel Engines #38  
SFish said:
I hope that all you California bashers realize that the State of Northern California is a completely different place.

Steve

Only if you make the line between north and south at the Mendocino County border.

(I'm a fourth generation Marin county native, probably the last person still living who was actually physically born in Sausalito and still own a home in Santa Cruz Co. but I hauled out of the whole place eight years ago, never looking back.)

/ California's Tough new rules for Diesel Engines #39  
I didn't know I was a refugee, I always thought you could move anywhere in the USA. I am a refugee from the invasion of illegal aliens and government over regulation in Southern California. I did take a large profit from the sale of my house. I did move to Washington and have cut down two trees that were going to fall into my shop. And I did dig up the stump with my BX24. And I am just getting started.:D

California is a very beautiful state, but the government is nuts. They want to give driver's licenses to illegal aliens and control tractor engines. They just want to control everything they can while they fly around in their private jets with more pollution than my tractor.

I also believe in global warming. The ice cap is starting to melt and releasing more CO2. The atmosphere is heating up on Mars and must be due to man.:rolleyes:

Now back to the topic of over regulation of diesel engines.

Cary:cool:

/ California's Tough new rules for Diesel Engines #40  
What seems like a long time ago, I saw a bumper sticker that pretty much said it all -- "Don't Californicate Colorado". God put that state on the left side of the map with good reason.

I am all for working to stop polluting our environment, but also recognize the pollution from other nations, especially China and other developing nations filled with people who aspire to our lifestyle. We need to recognize that the U.S. consumes an incredible amount of the world resources, especially energy. In building this great nation, we pretty much devasted any part of it that had lots of natural resources that could be taken cheaply. Then we went on to expand our gluttony to taking whatever we could get cheap from other parts of the world especially oil, being joined by western Europe in the process.

If you doubt that we raped our own country, consider that the eastern half was essentially covered in forest. A squirrel could travel from Florida to Maine without touching the ground. There were Passenger Pigeons in flocks so immense they darkened the sky when passing overhead, herds of Bison that blocked railroad tracks for days while moving through the western plains, runs of Shad in east coast rivers so thick that you could almost walk across the river on their backs. Even here in rural Ohio, you can find the occasional piece of old furniture with a back made of one board over 4 feet wide. I helped disassemble a barn with a main hand hewn beam 72 feet long, 16 inches square, all one single black walnut log -- no joints of any kind for the entire length. I have no idea how big that tree was, but apparently it wasn't very special at the time since it was just used as a barn beam. Even now, in parts of Michigan and Minnesota, you can find the old stumps of the great pine forests that grew on land bought for pennies an acre. The trees were cut, the slash was left, and things burned. On the same night as the so called "Great Chicago Fire", there was another fire that consumed 1.2 million acres of forest, destroyed an entire town, and killed about 1200 people -- all caused by greedy lumbering practices. Google "Peshtigo Fire" and read the details.

After all that abuse that fueled our growth and rise to world power, from our present lofty socio-economic perch, we have figured out that doing what we did in our early years is a bad thing for the planet and so are trying to mend our ways. It would be great if other nations would see that we know we screwed up and are trying to fix it. Unfortunately, I think most of them just think we're hypocritically trying to maintain our position of dominance in world politics and economics by preventing them from developing to a level equal to our own. With the exception of things like eco-tourism, I think most second or third world countries have little use for environmental causes.

About we can do is lead by common sense example and encourage others to follow. That encouragement may be in the form of words, but our influence on the world market is probably a better tool. I, too, would like to see some sort of statement of environmental impact on things marketed here. Unfortunately, the vast majority will tend to buy what is perceived as the best short-term value with little regard for long term effects on the planet. Hence, WallyWorld and all the other import vendors will continue to support the economies of the worst polluting nations.

How about each of you? Do you think in terms of the world view when making purchases, or do you think only of you and your wallet? How many of you would use low sulfur or ultra-low sulfur diesel if you had a choice and the ulsd cost an extra quarter a gallon or so?