Calling all geeks... calling all geeks...

/ Calling all geeks... calling all geeks... #1  

TerryinMD

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 4100 HST
Sorry... had to get your attention!! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I've been trying to find out what a particular process on my PC is and what it's purpose in life is. The process is called "KTCHSNK.EXE". I've terminated it and there appears to be no effect to my system - as far as I can see! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

So, if anyone can provide some kind of info on this thing, please do. I would really appreciate it. I have teenagers using the system and their friends are always providing neat things for them to try..... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif There have been veiled warnings and I may have to ban future access by these friends. Teenagers with a little bit of computer knowledge is very scarey!!!! Bad enough adults with a little knowledge. Who me???? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Terry

/ Calling all geeks... calling all geeks... #2  
<font color="blue"> The process is called "KTCHSNK.EXE". </font>
Hmm, that looks like a shortened version of 'Kitchen Sink'. There are some Mac products with this name, but no PC products that I could find.

/ Calling all geeks... calling all geeks...
Mike, thank you for the response.

Let me get on a soapbox.....

One of the bigger issues I have with PC software is that you have one heck of a time tracing where software originates. The bigger vendors are better at identifying ownership for simple reason that they want to protect their rights. Fair enough!!

However, vendors, service providers, "free services", etc., develop cookies, adware, spyware, usage monitors, etc. and do not inform you when they install these processes on your system. That is so bogus!!!! I have a few choice terms that I could apply but will not as you can imagine the naval language associated with them. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Let me get off the soapbox now....

There have been other posts on a similar vane which have provided enlightenment. I sure hope someone can point me in the right direction. hmmmm... is there a place on the net where one can find out such information? Or are these things just out in the ether and one has to ask or stumble onto them?

Sigh.....

Terry

/ Calling all geeks... calling all geeks... #4  
I've found it useful to do a Search (Start--Search) for the module to see where it's located on the hard drive. Sometimes seeing the full path can indicate what the software is and does. What's the full path name for this program?

/ Calling all geeks... calling all geeks... #5  
Couldn't find the program you asked about, but here's a link for you to try in the future. It lists a lot of the various programs out there that are less than obvious as to what they do. Enjoy. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Calling all geeks... calling all geeks... #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( "KTCHSNK.EXE". I've terminated it and there appears to be no effect to my system )</font>

Hi Terry,

Just hope you don't spring a leak... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Doh! Why didn't I think of that.... scheeezzzz... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Running XP Pro, just for starts and I found two references to the process when I did a search for ktchnsnk.exe. They are

C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\KTCHNSNK.EXE-1534d865.pf
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP OfficeJet T Series\Bin\ktchnsnk.exe

The last path is the clue. I have my multifunction printer attached to another computer and we share the printer across my LAN. So, it's probably a helper process to shove files over to the printer across the LAN.

Egg on my face.... Shoulda thunk about it!!! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Thank you for the help Mike!!

Terry

ay-ya-ya-ya-ay.... now the comedians start!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Some thinks never change on TBN... and that's a very good thing!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Terry

/ Calling all geeks... calling all geeks... #9  
<font color="blue"> Thank you for the help Mike!! </font>
You betcha! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Calling all geeks... calling all geeks... #10  
A few suggestions (I can't tell from your post how computer literate you are, so don't be offended if any of these suggestions are too basic /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif):

You should be able to "right-click" on the file name and check the properties, where sometimes the name of the originator of the program is given.

If you find a file in the directory of one program, it doesn't mean the file in question belongs to that program.

Make sure you're using a frequently updated antivirus software.

Even if you're only using one computer, if you're on the Internet you should be using a router as a hard firewall.

Run a software firewall, such as Norton Personal Firewall.

Run a spyware/adware software (such as SpyBot or Pest Patrol) to keep Trojans and spyware off your computer.

Set your Tools/Internet Options/Privacy settings for cookies to the highest cookie blocking level that you can tolerate.

Watch those teenagers like a hawk!