Calling all geeks... calling all geeks...

/ Calling all geeks... calling all geeks... #21  
<font color="purple"> what's different here ... why is it looking for remote devices to boot from ... hmmm ... let's try to NOT have the zip drive plugged into the USB </font>

I just had an almost identical problem with a new system I built for home. Had the OS all freshly installed, then decided to plug in my USB Compact Flash card reader (since I would be leaving it on this PC permanently).

And then it wouldn't boot, not even from a floppy.

Going into the bios setup, I found (after some hair pulling), that the bios had added the CF reader to the list of hard drives (removeable in this case), and, had placed the CF reader at the top of the list of hard drives. Once I rearranged the list, everything was fine.

/ Calling all geeks... calling all geeks... #22  
I thought of going into the BIOS and rooting around, Hank .... but they're starting to know me too well .... this new stinkpad is locked tighter than a drum .... "F1 to enter setup mode" just locks me up until I get bored and reboot. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Calling all geeks... calling all geeks... #23  
Based solely on personal experience rather than technical training, here's my shot. It sounds like your boot order has your HD ahead of your floppy or you could boot from your floppy. Unfortunately, you have to get into your BIOS to change that order so you're in somewhat of a catch-22 now.

You might be able to take this HD and install it as a second HD (slave) in another PC. That way you could backup all of your programs and data then try to rework your BIOS that way or simply reformat and go from there.

Good luck. I know how frustrating these things can be. It'd help if you could take your Goldwing out and go for a ride to clear your head. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Calling all geeks... calling all geeks... #24  
<font color="blue"> Consider the power you have at your disposal with a desktop machine compared with the mainframes of 20 or so years ago. Truely amazing!! Time marches on....
</font>

Indeed. Also consider, despite remaining frustrations (average of 20% of average homeowners time?), the comparative convenience!

When I worked for FAO Swartz in NYC in the early 70's, we used to have pull up floor panels to get at wrist thick bundles of wires...

Anyone else have memories of dedicated rooms (for equiv of power of today's desktop), rows of reel to reels for data storage, massive cooling systems, punch card decks and dot-matrix ribbon printouts?

/ Calling all geeks... calling all geeks... #25  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Anyone else have memories of dedicated rooms (for equiv of power of today's desktop), rows of reel to reels for data storage, massive cooling systems, punch card decks and dot-matrix ribbon printouts? )</font>

Oh yeah. I worked at a bank computer center while I was in College. Started out with GE mainframes (didn't call them "mainframes" then) Model 4, I think. Then we moved up to IBM 360-65's. Ferrite Core memory. Programs on punched paper tape and data on big reel-to-reel tapes.
What a kick!

/ Calling all geeks... calling all geeks... #26  
I can remember when the City of Dallas bought two IBM 360s and thought that would be all the computing power the city would ever need. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Calling all geeks... calling all geeks...
<font color="blue"> Anyone else have memories of dedicated rooms (for equiv of power of today's desktop), rows of reel to reels for data storage, massive cooling systems, punch card decks and dot-matrix ribbon printouts? </font>

Oh yeah.... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

In the old days (he-he, sounding like my grand-dad), I used to work for Control Data. Control Data's primary market was Engineering and Scientific customers. The hardware and supporting equipment to cool and power the computers was large and very expensve. In fact, in Control Data's R&D and manufacturing facility in Arden Hills, MN, they found out that they could heat the building with the computer equipment and flourescent lighting during winter. Lots of BTU's expended with those old mainframes. The computers had piping that ran inside them to cool the machines. Air cooled - hah!!

I had the opportunity to work in a few of the larger computing labs throughout the country. Princeton Plasma Physics Lab, Lab for Laser Energenics in Rochester, NY, and at the Computational Facility at Los Alamos. By far, the Los Alamos computing center was the most awesome. When I was there in the mid-80's, there were tons of large Control Data, Cray, IBM, and DEC equipment. Under the floors were tons of cables and large pipes supplying chiller water to the computers.

One day, a major chiller problem occured and all of the chillers shut down and no chilled water was being provided all of the computers. Every available on-site field engineer in the computing facility were called to action. Now keep in mind that you cannot just hit the master switch and turn off mainframe computers. All of the disks - I mean a major disk farm here. Hundreds of large disk drives must be shut down properly or you could damage the disk surfaces with the heads. If you ever saw what happened when a head hit a spinning large disk, you would remember. And each drive had multiple platters.

When the alarms rang, it looked as though the place was under attack! Field engineers jumping over desks and beginning the shut down procedure. They had to get things shut down in the proper order to bring down the mainframe so that it didn't burn up from the loss of chiller water. Now, we are talking lots of machines too.... in multiple rooms.... not including those in locked areas with highly classified purposes.... needless to say, a real mess.

In general, the maintenance of these large beasts was costly. They needed to be shut down and tested weekly. The maintenace was usually for an hour or two on each machine. And once a year, each facility was shut down to tighten all of the electrical connections and grounding straps. What a nightmare!!!!

Now, you just plug in these little devils and occasionally dust them off. If something breaks, run down to Walmart and get a new part. In fact, it's easier to maintain your home PC than your car or truck. Use to be the reverse. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Terry

/ Calling all geeks... calling all geeks... #28  
<font color="blue"> Good luck. I know how frustrating these things can be. It'd help if you could take your Goldwing out and go for a ride to clear your head. </font>
You got that right, Gary ... but the weather ain't cooperating at all. Although it sounds like I might be able to ride the Wing to the GWRRA meeting on Wednesday ... supposed to be up to +36.
I know the HD can easily be switched out ... we tried that when troubleshooting the bootup problem. But it certainly is a catch-22 ....and, since this is a pilot machine (one of less than a hundred ... while we wait fo rthe go ahead to replace the other 20,000+) ... I'm trying to be good. If my "get into the guts" devil whispers in my ear, I can just chop into any o fthe home machines and assuage the "need" /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif