Calling any DX24E & DX18E owners...

/ Calling any DX24E & DX18E owners...
The problem starts at CNH. My machine has spent way more time in for warranty work than it should have. I have the opportunity to see similar subcompacts by different manufacturers side-by-side on a regular basis. There is a closer dealer that sells Kubota & NH, and they see the same things.

When the time comes to move up a size, I won't be buying another CNH product, even though on paper, I think they have a slight edge. In the real world, their QC is lacking. Sorry if I offended any of you with red or blue running through your veins, but I'm the one dealing with all of these issues with this machine. Maybe the larger compacts are built a lot better, but I'm not taking another chance on CNH - companies need to earn my business, and in this day and age, they get only one chance to sell me a reliable product. If they can't do it the first time, then they don't get my money a second time.

/ Calling any DX24E & DX18E owners... #22  
Bandit,

I've followed your threads for a long time and it seems to me that maybe you just expected to much from the little machine and really should have bought a larger tractor to begin with. From what I gather you use it for more of a commercial type application on a regular basis. Also, sounds like your dealer went from high grade to low after repeating fixing problems.

I once owned a Volvo loader that I just loved when brand new. It had all the creature comforts of a fine car (air conditioning, cd radio, even a heated seat) My brother and I pushed it hard and it slowly became a repair nightmare. We traded it off on an older well used but much larger Cat loader that was bare bones compared to the Volvo, It never gave us a bit of problems, and was suited for our needs much better. Looking back we really over used the Volvo it for what it was designed to do. If we had not over pushed it than I'm sure it would have given us a longer less troublesome life.

My local NH dealer has had very good success with these machines. He tells it like it is though, that they are basically a modern day garden tractor and not to over expect on it's capabilties. If you need much production they immediatly steer you to the TC models.

Bottom line, all machines have issues. I read about the Kubota's bx 23 breaking the swivel seat and mower pto shaft flipping off and smashing the plastic hydro fan and people upset with the wait to get parts for their machines as well. (And those are just issues at the top of my head. I'm sure there were many others). This is also the reason most every good dealer has a service department as **** happens. Relax and enjoy the machine and look to get a larger unit sooner rather than later to take care of your needs.

/ Calling any DX24E & DX18E owners... #23  
Bandit,

I've followed your threads for a long time and it seems to me that maybe you just expected to much from the little machine and really should have bought a larger tractor to begin with. From what I gather you use it for more of a commercial type application on a regular basis. Also, sounds like your dealer went from high grade to low after repeating fixing problems.

I once owned a Volvo loader that I just loved when brand new. It had all the creature comforts of a fine car (air conditioning, cd radio, even a heated seat) My brother and I pushed it hard and it slowly became a repair nightmare. We traded it off on an older well used but much larger Cat loader that was bare bones compared to the Volvo, It never gave us a bit of problems, and was suited for our needs much better. Looking back we really over used the Volvo it for what it was designed to do. If we had not over pushed it than I'm sure it would have given us a longer less troublesome life.

My local NH dealer has had very good success with these machines. He tells it like it is though, that they are basically a modern day garden tractor and not to over expect on it's capabilties. If you need much production they immediatly steer you to the TC models.

Bottom line, all machines have issues. I read about the Kubota's bx 23 breaking the swivel seat and mower pto shaft flipping off and smashing the plastic hydro fan and people upset with the wait to get parts for their machines as well. (And those are just issues at the top of my head. I'm sure there were many others). This is also the reason most every good dealer has a service department as **** happens. Relax and enjoy the machine and look to get a larger unit sooner rather than later to take care of your needs.

First off, I was able to pick up my tractor yesterday afternoon, as they had the labels overnighted to them.

I do expect to get a bigger machine, as I do realize that this little machine is not much more than a glorified garden tractor. I still am glad to have a good dealer, and have defended the dealer often - I don't hold them responsible for the problems I've had. I also may not have been as frustrated with this machine if I didn't have another subcompact to work with side-by-side. I know what breaks and doesn't break on the other machine, and with it having more than twice the hours, it has not been in the shop for repairs. I also had experience with a little 14hp Yanmar years ago, and it too was a well built machine. We beat the heck out of that, and it held up fine - that is the reason for my high expectations of my current machine. But I realize that as with vehicles, the tractor manufacturers have probably made their machines a bit more disposable than they were 15 years ago, too.

It was hard to justify a larger compact for an acre lot, and right now, the subcompact is more than adequate, as most of the use is mowing. If I end up with another fixer upper property, I've already got a larger compact picked out, as I realize these subcompacts (at least some of them) are not really designed for hard work. I had originally planned on buying a Woods backhoe for it at some point, but I just don't think it is built heavily enough to act as a TLB, so I either need a dedicated subcompact TLB or a larger machine that has a backhoe designed to fit on it.

But, I also am able to compare build quality with 2 subs being side by side, and i can tell you that CNH needs to revisit the drawing boards, and compare their machines with other brands. I can understand many of the breaks I've had, as many have not been due to overworking the machine. But some of them are a result of poor design, like the seat mount fender cracks - I'm not a big guy, and if my weight can crack the fender, then most any owner will do the same. And I have to thank the other troublemakers here on TBN for alerting me to the cracking fender issue, or I probably wouldn't have found it before my warranty was up. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I had planned on upgrading to a larger Case (I really like many of the features), but with 2 different dealers telling me that they see those machines in the shop more than the other brand they sell that outsells the CNH machines, I figure I should just switch colors and hope for the best. Maybe I just need to get a Kubota L39 TLB or JD 110 for my acre fixer uppers. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

First off, I was able to pick up my tractor yesterday afternoon, as they had the labels overnighted to them.

I do expect to get a bigger machine, as I do realize that this little machine is not much more than a glorified garden tractor. I still am glad to have a good dealer, and have defended the dealer often - I don't hold them responsible for the problems I've had. I also may not have been as frustrated with this machine if I didn't have another subcompact to work with side-by-side. I know what breaks and doesn't break on the other machine, and with it having more than twice the hours, it has not been in the shop for repairs. I also had experience with a little 14hp Yanmar years ago, and it too was a well built machine. We beat the heck out of that, and it held up fine - that is the reason for my high expectations of my current machine. But I realize that as with vehicles, the tractor manufacturers have probably made their machines a bit more disposable than they were 15 years ago, too.

It was hard to justify a larger compact for an acre lot, and right now, the subcompact is more than adequate, as most of the use is mowing. If I end up with another fixer upper property, I've already got a larger compact picked out, as I realize these subcompacts (at least some of them) are not really designed for hard work. I had originally planned on buying a Woods backhoe for it at some point, but I just don't think it is built heavily enough to act as a TLB, so I either need a dedicated subcompact TLB or a larger machine that has a backhoe designed to fit on it.

But, I also am able to compare build quality with 2 subs being side by side, and i can tell you that CNH needs to revisit the drawing boards, and compare their machines with other brands. I can understand many of the breaks I've had, as many have not been due to overworking the machine. But some of them are a result of poor design, like the seat mount fender cracks - I'm not a big guy, and if my weight can crack the fender, then most any owner will do the same. And I have to thank the other troublemakers here on TBN for alerting me to the cracking fender issue, or I probably wouldn't have found it before my warranty was up. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I had planned on upgrading to a larger Case (I really like many of the features), but with 2 different dealers telling me that they see those machines in the shop more than the other brand they sell that outsells the CNH machines, I figure I should just switch colors and hope for the best. Maybe I just need to get a Kubota L39 TLB or JD 110 for my acre fixer uppers. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Calling any DX24E & DX18E owners... #26  
Now that is a machine you will have a hard time breaking. Has a GST transmission which I think is the best in the business.
Good luck, and I hope I didn't sound like I was preaching. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Calling any DX24E & DX18E owners... #27  
Now that is a machine you will have a hard time breaking. Has a GST transmission which I think is the best in the business.
Good luck, and I hope I didn't sound like I was preaching. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Calling any DX24E & DX18E owners... #28  
I have had a DX24 with Manual Transmission, Loader, Backhoe, Plow, Rear 60", and Cab since Nov 04.

I had a lot of minor problems with it, almost all were covered under warranty or recall.

I just fixed the seat mount crack problem myself yesterday (out of warranty = DIY) and wonder if there is someplace online to find recall info on tractors - it should be a safety recall issue, and it is a widespread 24 problem due to a design flaw.

I wonder if Shibaura and NH users report same issue?

If mowing with 60" deck behind, 18hp would not be nearly enough - my 24 could use an extra 5 sometimes. 24 is enough to run hoe and not break things, but it's weight makes loader very light - could use weights on front.

Besides turf and bar tires there is industrial, which are easier on turf than bar but bite on snow and mud.

Anyway, here is a list of the problems:
Backhoe: Plastic debris in piston when delivered (replaced on-site)
Loader: Recall on travel stop (loader falls on operator in cab)
Electric: Short (cab install related?) trips signals, 4-ways fuse when on for a few minutes (unless dealer service present)
Seat switch defective (would not start)
Cab: Door latch on one side difficult to close (dealer gave up trying to fix)
Delivery: 4 month wait for hoe. Scraped and gouged when delivered. A trailer was bent and paint scratched by tie-downs. Fuel had water in it and froze up soon after delivery (dealer said my fault for not using additive - had run < 1 hour)

Anyone else?

/ Calling any DX24E & DX18E owners... #29  
I have a TA24da. We parked it and the next day it would not move forward or reverse. Everything else is working. We did a pressure test on trans and it's got a zero reading. What causes a zero reading?