Calling on Ford 8n experts here - questions

/ Calling on Ford 8n experts here - questions #11  
Napa has the points, coil, everything in their ag book.

The gasket for the fuel bowl is napa 730-9506 neophrene gasket.

Filter is on top of the bowl in the tank, in the bowl, and inthe brass elbow at the carb.

New spec for the oil is 134d.. but it is thin stuff.. like 20w oil. Old spec right out of the book was 90w mineral gear oil. Gl-1 oil 90wt is available at napa. If your hyds are a bit tired the 90w oil helps.

Don't use a 80w90 gl-5 oil... there is quite a bit of yellow metal in the hyd pump.. gl-5 and yellow metals don't mix well.

Soundguy

/ Calling on Ford 8n experts here - questions
Thanks soundguy - I must live in the desert - we don't have a tsc, napa, or new holand dealer in town - have to go at least 30 miles to find any of these and then it is a nh dealer who isn't open late enough for me to get there after work. Did get a carb kit from local independent parts dealer although it didn't have main needle. As to the oil I read a poll on one of the 8n sites which if I remember right said most users were using the 80/90. I understand enough about oils to know that many additives are in fact killers to brass and bronze parts. I am a maintenance supervisor at a manufacturing plant and have been in this type of work for 40+ years. I have to keep maybe two dozen different types of oil at the plant for these types of reasons. It might be different anti wear characteristics, ep grades - iso, ssu or sae viscosity ratings at different temps, anti oxidizing additives, etc. Most industrial grade lubricants can be researched in either published literature or even on the web to determine what the differences are from one to another. It doesn't seem to be that way with ag lubricants at least from the equipment manufacturers. I buy most of my lubricants directly from pennzoil, maybe I will check with them and get their match for the recommended ones. Would like to get the right stuff in the trany/hyd. I stopped a local implement dealer tonight and they of course told me their stuff for trany/hyd was the same as 134 - but no specs listed on can to state it met 134 specs.

/ Calling on Ford 8n experts here - questions #13  
Hit the ytmag N forum.. oil has been researched to death. We also have a faq posted.. from penzoil.. that specifies that their gl-5 does indeed attack yellow metal. And the complete insides of the very expensive and no longer made belly hydro pump is 100% yellow metal.

Just because a poll said lotsa people use 80w90 oil in thier N's doesn't make them right... In the old days they burned and drowned 'witches' too...

Use 90wt gl-1 oil.. the 134d is an approved choice from NH.. but it is so thin.. if you have much wear on the hyds.. you will get reduced lift performance.

In the end.. it is your machine and you can run whatever you want in their... In my N's which are 3 nice tractors.. one of them show quality.. it only gets the good non-damaging oem spec oils for the hydro/tranny/diffy.
As for the 134 equivalents.. sure.. every brand has them.. generically refereed to as transdraulic oil...

Soundguy

I need to get to somewhere where I can find some GL1 grade I think. Haven't called Pennzoil rep yet, do you know if they make any? We have a couple of farm supply places, but all their oils are just generic and don't have any specs listed at all. They just say 90 wt gear oil, 80 wt gear oil, etc. We have some machines at work that use 12 really heavy gearboxes to power heads to roll reduce metal parts and a few years back we bought a used one and it had been filled with oil that attacks yellow metals which the bushings in these boxes are and they were completely shot - had to rebuild completely - all 12 boxes - at about $1000 parts each - don't want this to happen to my new toy.

/ Calling on Ford 8n experts here - questions #15  
At TSC, the oils are marked with their gl-grade. I know penzoil does make a gl-4 product that may be safe.

I'll get the napa number for the gl-1 90wt oil for you and post it. Like you.. I like to take care of my machines.

see you in a few minutes.

Soundguy

/ Calling on Ford 8n experts here - questions #16  
Here's the napa number:

65-205 GL-1 5 Gal.

that help any?

Soundguy

Unfortunately I must live in Little Siberia (or somewhere kin) nearest napa is almost 2 hrs away. Have Ford/nh dealer about 45 min away if I could get there when they were open. Nearest tsc is 2 hr away. Too much to do - everything too far - may just have to quit work to have time to enjoy hobbies. I'll find it though - Thanks for the feedback.

/ Calling on Ford 8n experts here - questions #18  
Ford still sells the proper mineral oil for this tractor. I buy it from my local ford ag dealer for a very reasonable price. Most of the time they have it in bulk. Take some lidded 5 gal buckets with you and you might even save more.

Dane

/ Calling on Ford 8n experts here - questions #19  
Got a wall mart near you.. my local one sells 90wt mineral ger oil.. gl-1

Soundguy

/ Calling on Ford 8n experts here - questions #20  
Soundguy,

I would think that you have used the 90 wt mineral oil that ford recommends for this tractor, but it is way thinner than 90 hypoid. It is rated at 90 wt, but it is not what most think is 90. I hope that makes sence.

Anyway, when we fixed several tos and older fords the hyd work much better than with thick oil.

Just my thoughts, which are not worth much.

Dane