Can’t find a block heater for my 1739E (2020)

/ Can’t find a block heater for my 1739E (2020) #1  

DP-Western NY

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1739E
I cant find a block heater for my 1739E, I asked the dealer and they contacted AGCO and was told there isn’t one for that model, what would be a good solution. It gets very cold where I’m at and I want to use it to remove snow this winter

/ Can’t find a block heater for my 1739E (2020) #2  
My standard answer is to use the radiator hose insertion type. They are made to use in the lower radiator hose of most vehicles but are not specifically made for tractors per se. I have used them on VW diesels. The main feature is that this type circulates hot water through the entire cooling system, thus warming the block, the heads, indirectly the injection pump, all of it. Some smaller Kubota owners have said they just cannot fit these in the lower radiator hose. Have not heard anything specific about the MF 1739. You'll just have to look-see. I can't think of any reason not to install them in the top radiator hose which is often easier to get to and has more space around it. Worst case it may take some cut-and-try to see if it works well & look into keeping the thermostat open if it isn't. I did not have to mess with the thermostat on the VWs. The manufacturer selling the heater should elaborate in the instructions supplied with it.

/ Can’t find a block heater for my 1739E (2020) #3  
All engine blocks usually have 'frost plugs', (metal disks that plug casting holes).
You measure the opening and order suitable block heater.

Then there are inline heaters that are spliced into radiator hose lines that also work well.
You cut the return line from the radiator and install this type of unit.

Other items exist like heated dip sticks and magnetic heaters but I don't like either of them.
(I once installed 2 mag units and I determined they mainly heated the air and not the engine.)

The best and ideal unit is one that simply screws into a designated area of the engine block if the factory planned for it.
All 'frost plug' and hose types require draining of coolant in order to install them, a bit messy but efficient.
Usually U want something in the 400 watt range.

/ Can’t find a block heater for my 1739E (2020) #4  
Mostly agree with Piloon except: The hose types do not require much draining of coolant of installed in the top hose.

/ Can’t find a block heater for my 1739E (2020) #5  
I have a MF1540 without a block heater (or any heater) in Central NY. Never had any issues starting it in sub zero temps.

Just make sure your battery is good (keep a jumper box charged up if you don't) and let it warm up prior to using it.

Nothing wrong with getting anf using a heater; just saying don't worry if you don't. You will be fine.

/ Can’t find a block heater for my 1739E (2020) #6  
You can't just "measure the frost plug diameter" and "buy one that fits."
There's several variations for each diameter, depending on the length, thickness, and angle of the element, which is determined by how your block was cast. Some elements even have a bend in them, to accommodate the internal structure of the block.
You need to get a frost plug heater specifically designed for your block, and it sounds like there is not one for that block.
Lower hose heater may work, but putting it in the upper hose will not. Hot water rises, and that's how these heaters circulate the heated water.

/ Can’t find a block heater for my 1739E (2020) #7  
prob doesn't help OP a lot but I am in central maine and often deal with single/- temps.
I have block heater in my gc2400 but only used once.
I DO have a battery maintainer attached to tractor battery and that is ALWAYS plugged in, this makes a huge difference in starting.

/ Can’t find a block heater for my 1739E (2020) #8  
You can't just "measure the frost plug diameter" and "buy one that fits."
There's several variations for each diameter, depending on the length, thickness, and angle of the element, which is determined by how your block was cast. Some elements even have a bend in them, to accommodate the internal structure of the block.
You need to get a frost plug heater specifically designed for your block, and it sounds like there is not one for that block.
Lower hose heater may work, but putting it in the upper hose will not. Hot water rises, and that's how these heaters circulate the heated water.
I thought some of the hose type heaters had a crude circulation pump built in and not dependent on convection. (??)

/ Can’t find a block heater for my 1739E (2020) #9  
prob doesn't help OP a lot but I am in central maine and often deal with single/- temps.
I have block heater in my gc2400 but only used once.
I DO have a battery maintainer attached to tractor battery and that is ALWAYS plugged in, this makes a huge difference in starting.
Great minds think alike!
But north of Montreal is colder and in a snow belt.
I also have an 'intelligent maintainer' plugged in 24/24 (as I also do on my standby generator*).
Cheap insurance in my opinion.

*We are at the end of a power grid and experience all too many outages.
Otherwise we are in paradise and would not wish to move.

/ Can’t find a block heater for my 1739E (2020) #10  
I thought some of the hose type heaters had a crude circulation pump built in and not dependent on convection. (??)
Yep, they have a sort of check valve and sort of burp as they get hotter thus circulating heated 'coolant' burp by burp.

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR