Can a Zero Turn mow high weeds in a bumpy pasture?

/ Can a Zero Turn mow high weeds in a bumpy pasture?
I’ll add that I find it’s less ‘jolting’ on me than my bush hog. It rides gracefully on the 6’ wide rear roller close in vs. a small tail wheel dipping into holes & flipping around on turns.
That is very helpful. Any ideas how big of a flail mower I could push with a 44hp PTO?

I did look at the ones that shift to the side, but I have such a small need for that I don't think it would be worth the added complexity and expense?

/ Can a Zero Turn mow high weeds in a bumpy pasture? #63  
Yes it is, my bumpy field is getting flatter just mowing it regularly. Also the offset available in most flail mowers allows for only one tire rolling in the uncut grass which reduces the number of popup rows.

/ Can a Zero Turn mow high weeds in a bumpy pasture? #64  
That is very helpful. Any ideas how big of a flail mower I could push with a 44hp PTO?

...................snip...................

With what type of flails?

Big difference between side slicer vs. hammer.

/ Can a Zero Turn mow high weeds in a bumpy pasture?
With what type of flails?

Big difference between side slicer vs. hammer.
I know nothing about flail mowers. Side slice? Hammer?

One reason I stopped using the rotary cutter is the tractor would push the weeds down, and they would stay down as the mower went over. But it wasn't too long and they popped up again.

The front mount mower on the Ventrac generates a much higher quality cut. Actually, it isn't really quality. The Ventrac front mower reliably cuts what it goes over, the rear rotary cutter is hit and miss. Cuts most of the time, but with patches that are missed which then pop back up.

/ Can a Zero Turn mow high weeds in a bumpy pasture? #66  
I know nothing about flail mowers. Side slice? Hammer?

One reason I stopped using the rotary cutter is the tractor would push the weeds down, and they would stay down as the mower went over. But it wasn't too long and they popped up again.

The front mount mower on the Ventrac generates a much higher quality cut. Actually, it isn't really quality. The Ventrac front mower reliably cuts what it goes over, the rear rotary cutter is hit and miss. Cuts most of the time, but with patches that are missed which then pop back up.

Good place to start is here:

Flail Mower - Let's talk flail mowers

It's almost 8000 posts to read!

Last edited:
   / Can a Zero Turn mow high weeds in a bumpy pasture? #67  
Gopher mounds flattened while I was mowing today

Attachments

• IMG_3712.JPG
    IMG_3712.JPG
    337.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_3713.JPG
    IMG_3713.JPG
    310.4 KB · Views: 36
   / Can a Zero Turn mow high weeds in a bumpy pasture? #68  
Just bought a full 350 gallon IBC tote of expired DEF and it's sitting in the big barn waiting for me to spray it on my alfalfa along with a measured shot of 2-4-D B which is buffered 2-4-D and won't kill vernal alfalfa. It ain't cheap but today, what is? I had a heck of a time unloading the full IBC tote of DEF. I didn't realize a full tote weighs 2800 pounds. That saves me buying 2.5 gallon jugs of the stuff when on sale though the 2.5 gallon containers make dandy use oil containers among other things.

HF has their battery powered transfer pumps on sale presently. I keep a couple in the shop all the time. Very handy, especially when using rechargeable Li-Ion D cells.

far as mowing high grass in a bumpy pasture plot, you can do about anything with anything so long as your kidneys can take the abuse...lol I use my Landpride bat wing shredder for that chore.
What is the thickest liquid you’ve used that HF pump on? I’m considering that for my next hydro change…

/ Can a Zero Turn mow high weeds in a bumpy pasture? #70  
If you're only cutting this 2 or even 4 times a year you could get a lot of years paying someone to do it for you for $38,000. And you wouldn't have to worry about finding time to do it. Just say $500 a time at 4 times a year and that covers 19 years........
$38k invested in an index fund will easily average over 6% a year yielding $2280.

The OP can have it cut without any capital investment, maintenance costs, or wasted time.

Someone spending that much money to cut grass/weeds, and not running a business at it, is not thinking straight.

The other option is to find a local guy who needs a few bucks and hire him to do it with the bushhog you alrady have. Lots of guys around here will drive a tractor 3 hours and be happy getting $150 cash money.