"Can borrow your tractor?"

/ "Can borrow your tractor?" #141  
I don't let people borrow my equipment. I used to have a really nice Harley. We were at a party and this guy asks me if he could ride my bike. Without blinking an eye I asked him if I could ride his wife and he quickly got the point. We both chuckled and kept bs'ing.

I am always more than willing to help neighbors with my equipment but I don't let them borrow it. My old neighbor borrowed a skid steer from my other neighbor. He developed some kind of hydraulic leak and drove the machine back to the owners place and didn't say a word. When the owner went to use it the fluid was so low it wouldn't even move. There was a trail of fluid from where he parked it all the way back to his place. He has to have seen it when he walked back home.

/ "Can borrow your tractor?" #142  
I never loan mine out. While I wouldn't be crazy about someone using it liability is the real reason. If someone screws up I don't want to be sued because they were on my equipment. When I use it I have liability insurance. I do often offer to help with the job and I'll operate the tractor. Usually that works out well. I also never borrow tools or equipment, but will loan hand tools to people I trust or power stuff to family.

/ "Can borrow your tractor?" #143  
It really depends on who asks. If they are good people I'll do favors. But I will not do big projects, unless hired. Operating costs amortized over the life of the machine, I figure average $40-45 hr for my tractor and 7$70-75 for my excavator. So I'll do favors, but asking for projects is a sure way never to get another favor. Let me offer, don't ask. Close freinds get bigger favors.

/ "Can borrow your tractor?" #144  
I don't let people borrow my equipment. I used to have a really nice Harley. We were at a party and this guy asks me if he could ride my bike. Without blinking an eye I asked him if I could ride his wife and he quickly got the point.
You need to be careful with that line. Depending on what she looks like, they may take you up on that and feel they got the better end of the deal.

/ "Can borrow your tractor?" #145  
It really depends on who asks. If they are good people I'll do favors. But I will not do big projects, unless hired. Operating costs amortized over the life of the machine, I figure average $40-45 hr for my tractor and 7$70-75 for my excavator. So I'll do favors, but asking for projects is a sure way never to get another favor. Let me offer, don't ask. Close freinds get bigger favors.

I worked it out one day if I was to do some mowing.
I wouldn't charge less tha $120 hour taking into account my time, fuel and maintenance and mower maintenance and to me that would still be cheap.

When my friend heard I was going to buy a mower he told me just to borrow his one. I politely declined as if anything happened to it (gearbox) or bearings, I would feel obliged to spend the money repairing it and I still wouldn't have a mower. I bought my own new one.

Years ago a neighbour saw me trimming weeds around the edges of my garden and bought me over his electric trimmer. 2 minutes into it the **** thing burnt out and I had to buy him a new one and I still didn't have one of my own....
Lesson learned.

Neither Borrower nor Lender be!

/ "Can borrow your tractor?" #146  
I keep a list...
OK guys and never again.
Every one gets a first chance.

If i need to use my tool and have to go fetch it 3 weeks later he is off my list!
(once made a guy drive 40 miles to return a tool that I had loaned him 6 months earlier)

The 'good guys' are the ones that return the tool as soon as the task is completed, they have total access to my assortment.

On the other hand I very rarely borrow nor do I need to as my collection is very complete. (am a true 'tool freak') and that is mechanical as well as wood working tools.
Pawn shops and yard sales are my thing, in fact I suspect that 90-95% of my collection is 'pre owned', but then I know quality and who makes the best of whatever. It helps that I was the 'go to' for a local tool rental facility, and they see the worst of abused tools.

/ "Can borrow your tractor?" #147  
Absoltutely you can! ... Can I borrow your horse?

/ "Can borrow your tractor?" #148  
Way too much money invested to take the chance of something happening to it.

I don't borrow, and I don't loan any type of equipment.

/ "Can borrow your tractor?" #149  
I worked it out one day if I was to do some mowing. I wouldn't charge less tha $120 hour taking into account my time, fuel and maintenance and mower maintenance and to me that would still be cheap. When my friend heard I was going to buy a mower he told me just to borrow his one. I politely declined as if anything happened to it (gearbox) or bearings, I would feel obliged to spend the money repairing it and I still wouldn't have a mower. I bought my own new one. Years ago a neighbour saw me trimming weeds around the edges of my garden and bought me over his electric trimmer. 2 minutes into it the **** thing burnt out and I had to buy him a new one and I still didn't have one of my own.... Lesson learned. Neither Borrower nor Lender be!
$120 per hour for a ck30??? I guess that is the I don't want to do it price. I can hire a guy with a skid steer for $75 per hour 2 hour minimum. That is a commercial guy, not a fly by nighter.

/ "Can borrow your tractor?" #150  
$120 per hour for a ck30??? I guess that is the I don't want to do it price. I can hire a guy with a skid steer for $75 per hour 2 hour minimum. That is a commercial guy, not a fly by nighter.

He's in Australia.