"Can borrow your tractor?"

/ "Can borrow your tractor?" #161  
I have several friends who can borrow my Tractor/Truck/Trailer whenever they want. We have known each other for years and all grew up poor, if anyone had something someone else didn't, we shared (and we still do). If it breaks, however, they fix it before it comes back. (unless they can't afford to, then I pay, no problem, but they fix it:D)

Last edited:
   / "Can borrow your tractor?" #162  
I can buy a ck30 without a loader for about $15000 maybe less for a 2wd. Add in $2000 for a cutter. Assuming the tractor last for 3000 hours ( I'd expect more ). That is about $6 dollars an hour operating cost. Add in diesel price current price is $1.70 per gallon, but we will figure 2.50 per gallon. Add in x for maintenance and repairs. You are now at about $15 per hour operating cost. It seems at 75 per hour you'd still be making 60 per hour. I'd be happy to ride around on a tractor for 60 per hour.

You have left out a LOT of overhead... I agree I wouldn't do if for less than 90hr. Ohio.... many try but they don't understand their real costs and as he said you basically use your equipment up for people who don't want to pay you a rate that replaces it. Use your equipement up for others if you like. I got out of it when I realized people don't want to pay enought to make it profitable... and I had a job.

/ "Can borrow your tractor?" #163  
Hiring equipment is just the start of costs. Transporting to the site $220 each way. Extra buckets are charged per hour etc etc. This is without an operator. Anyway check it out. It is very interesting when you start adding it up.
I guess my mate knows what he is doing as he transports all his gear as well as operating. He has been in business for many years.

This is an equipment hire company. Even the small machines are out of my reach. My $120 ph is sounding cheap.

http://www.moits.com.au/rates-2/rates/ And they have an 8 hour minimum charge.

/ "Can borrow your tractor?" #165  
Some time ago I bought a new JD garden tractor and mower for approx. $12,000. 4 Years later I wanted to trade it in for an identical model only new. I was allowed $6000 for mine even though it was in super shape and only had 250 hours on the meter. Just driving the thing around the neighborhood cost me $25 an hour not including the gas and my time. If I thought I should get minimum wage and the gas paid for I would have to charge $35-40 an hour. That is talking about no profit at all. That is just for using s POS garden tractor much less a bigger CUT.

But I would mow somebodies lawn to help out for free.