Tire Selection Can I put slightly wider tires on the stock rims?

/ Can I put slightly wider tires on the stock rims? #21  
A 9.5 Tire will be taller than an 8.3 Tire of the same diameter. You can take that to the bank ,my friend.

I wouldn't bet on it. I know the allowable margin on car tires is plus or minus 5% from nominal stated size and I have personally seen that difference between tires of different manufacturers.

At one time I raced in the Street Stock class of Stock Cars and, since we were at that time limited to regular passenger car tires, knowing the circumference of the mounted tires was important and we tended to go through a lot of tires with used ones being best on our paved track because of the minimum amount of tread on them. Actually the rolling radius was what REALLY mattered but going by the circumference worked equally well and was super easy to do. Small changes could greatly affect handling.

/ Can I put slightly wider tires on the stock rims? #22  
If the reason is for more flotation you could just run them a little flatter and increase the length of the contact area. If you really want more flotation increase the width and run them flatter as has been suggested.

/ Can I put slightly wider tires on the stock rims? #23  
I once put 15" 70 series police car tires on stock (skinny) VW rims for a VW dunebuggy. The tire shop did not want to do it. But we cornered and drifted that thing to the extent that vegetation was stuck between rim and sidewall without any failure.

/ Can I put slightly wider tires on the stock rims? #24  
I once put 15" 70 series police car tires on stock (skinny) VW rims for a VW dunebuggy. The tire shop did not want to do it. But we cornered and drifted that thing to the extent that vegetation was stuck between rim and sidewall without any failure.

I want to hear the story about how you got the police car tires.

/ Can I put slightly wider tires on the stock rims? #25  
General question regarding lead/lag stuff....

If his original tires were paddle style, would going to even the "same" tire but with normal R1 tread change his ratios? (is the height of the paddle tread of any concern??)

/ Can I put slightly wider tires on the stock rims? #26  
My first few cars were ex police cars. One had some snow tires on the rear that ended up on the Dune Buggy. Generally the cars had BF Goodrich Kevlar Belted Pursuit Radials. Not sold to the public.

I have to confess, we never stole police tires off police cars. Just the hub caps!

/ Can I put slightly wider tires on the stock rims? #28  
My first few cars were ex police cars. One had some snow tires on the rear that ended up on the Dune Buggy. Generally the cars had BF Goodrich Kevlar Belted Pursuit Radials. Not sold to the public.

I have to confess, we never stole police tires off police cars. Just the hub caps!

You are dating yourself (old man)....grin.

/ Can I put slightly wider tires on the stock rims? #30  
Quick GOOGLE search shows:

8.3-20 Tire is 895mm OD (35.2inch)

9.5-20 tire is 950mm OD (37.4inch)

See BKT Tires - TR 171 Product

What are you wanting to gain? What size & model are the fronts?

BTW, thanks for the reference to the BKT tire data site.

Do you have a special reason for quoting the OD? Normally when matching 4WD the RC (rolling circumference) is used.
rScotty