Can someone explain to me why supersonic business flight didn't work out?

/ Can someone explain to me why supersonic business flight didn't work out? #1  

Sigarms

Tractor
F3080
Big local news is Greensboro's PTI airport has secured a new business building that is supposed to bring jobs.

Perhaps it's just the pessimist in me, but reading this article really makes it sound like it's going to flop.

I'm old enough to remember the Concord. Fuel consumption I'm guessing was it's demise.

What's going to be different about this plane?

It just seems like everything on this (per brining in this aircraft company and giving them money) is built on a house of cards, as they actually haven't even made one aircraft yet.

/ Can someone explain to me why supersonic business flight didn't work out? #2  
Big local news is Greensboro's PTI airport has secured a new business building that is supposed to bring jobs.

Perhaps it's just the pessimist in me, but reading this article really makes it sound like it's going to flop.

I'm old enough to remember the Concord. Fuel consumption I'm guessing was it's demise.

What's going to be different about this plane?

It just seems like everything on this (per brining in this aircraft company and giving them money) is built on a house of cards, as they actually haven't even made one aircraft yet.
One of the reasons it didn't work out:

U.S. law forbid sonic booms over land. So the supersonic Concord had to start slowing down way out over the Atlantic, and land only at airports on the east coast. Likewise, it had to get out over the Atlantic before it could accelerate past the speed of sound. That made it fuel inefficient for a good portion of the trip.

It was also a fuel pig. It used more gallons per mile than a 747. So while it saved time, it ate money.

/ Can someone explain to me why supersonic business flight didn't work out? #3  
Crashes and mechanical problems also had something to do with ending the Concorde.

"Boom" is not a good name for an airplane company.

/ Can someone explain to me why supersonic business flight didn't work out? #4  
What's different now? I believe they are trying to make that plane into a 'quiet' sonic boomer. They're trying to get it down to if you were in your house and heard a car door slam outside VS thunder. If they get it down that low, they may be able to fly it over the continental U.S.

/ Can someone explain to me why supersonic business flight didn't work out?
What's different now? I believe they are trying to make that plane into a 'quiet' sonic boomer. They're trying to get it down to if you were in your house and heard a car door slam outside VS thunder. If they get it down that low, they may be able to fly it over the continental U.S.
I guess if that's the case, it behooves NC to push for this legislation. Then again, now it's a US manufacturer (vs the Concorde sp?), perhaps everyone will be on board.

That legislation seems to be a big hurdle if this investment is home run or it's a dud.

/ Can someone explain to me why supersonic business flight didn't work out? #6  
Also, the Concorde didn't really hold that many passengers...and, the price of the tickets was something very well off people could afford...due to, among other factors, the cost of manufacturing the big bird (as well as fuel, which isn't going to get cheaper).
Although I expect the costs of manufacturing to come down (thus, reducing ticket prices)...and the price of manufacturing can only come down by producing more aircraft...this will take, IMHO, decades.

/ Can someone explain to me why supersonic business flight didn't work out? #7  
Crashes and mechanical problems also had something to do with ending the Concorde.
There was a total of one crash invoving a Concord. It was in Paris when the plane hit a piece of debris dropped by another plane that caused a fire and crash in a residential area of Paris.

The fuel problems were caused by the late 1960's design of the engines. When started fuel costs had little impact, by the time the plane flew fuel costs was a major concern.

limited seating, and by the last few years even smaller passenger numbers were always a problem.

Aircraft age was another problem they were simply wearing out

As to the business class question; it was never affordable except in extreme situations that now can be far easier and cheaper to handle via internet

/ Can someone explain to me why supersonic business flight didn't work out? #8  
The other issue with the Concord was, as I understand it, that it never would have been...or could have been.... a viable business venture without the level of government subsidy it got from France and England. Without that it was a no go in terms of ROI. If the project had relied on private or corporate capital alone it never would have gotten past the initial concept. And since governments run things sooooo well..............the end was predictable.

/ Can someone explain to me why supersonic business flight didn't work out? #9  
That is true, the Concorde was subsidized by French and British governments. Could never have been a straight commercial venture. I worked on a program in the 90s to develop a US supersonic transport as part of the NASA HSR program with Boeing and Douglas. It eventually got cancelled because the $$ didn't make sense.

/ Can someone explain to me why supersonic business flight didn't work out? #10  
Too much expense for too little gain. BUT it might be feasible on a route like LA to Sydney or something like that. If you could cut an eighteen hour flight to nine hours it might be commercially acceptable.

RSKY