Can this pistol be restored?

/ Can this pistol be restored? #21  
I can try to hot blue it but it appears to have been nickel plated new I've took the nickel off and hot blued a few . Does the pistol function and what caliber is it

/ Can this pistol be restored? #22  
I see now it's a 32 Cal I've fixed worse looking ole guns that people wanted to restore for sentimental reason just to preserve because it was grandad's

/ Can this pistol be restored? #23  
Got it. :) Thanks to all for the input. I'm thinking the financial considerations at this point are outweighing the sentimental ones.

You've got some opinions off the Internet. Now it's time to get some facts from a gunsmith. Take it to one and ask him what it will cost. Don't let a bunch of opinions stop you from making a decision based on facts.

/ Can this pistol be restored? #24  
Sure it can be restored, you will just have to keep throwing money at it until they get it where you want it!

SR

I wouldn't try to restore it. Spray it with a clear finish and hang it high on the wall in the workshop. It will make you smile every time you look up at it.

You've got some opinions off the Internet. Now it's time to get some facts from a gunsmith. Take it to one and ask him what it will cost. Don't let a bunch of opinions stop you from making a decision based on facts.
I think the opinions here have been sound and rational. OP can surely go to a gunsmith and get an opinion. A hungry gunsmith might tell you to restore it... another one might say don't bother. Gonna cost you though at a gunsmith depending on how far you take it.

I would first clean it up and scuff and polish on your own and savor the time and memories while you are doing it. Spend the time not dollars getting to know this gun if it means something to you.

/ Can this pistol be restored? #25  
I think the opinions here have been sound and rational. OP can surely go to a gunsmith and get an opinion.

Nobody here has laid hands on it, nobody here knows what condition it's in on the inside. Nobody here makes his living with guns.

/ Can this pistol be restored? #26  
I have noticed you have an answer for everything and usually a smartass to boot ?

/ Can this pistol be restored? #27  
Nobody here has laid hands on it, nobody here knows what condition it's in on the inside. Nobody here makes his living with guns.

Yes, Mark, but many of us HAVE worked with guns our entire lives, know the approximate value of many models, and have experience restoring firearms. He has been given good advice by the group.

/ Can this pistol be restored? #28  
It's only good advice if you can give him numbers to go with it. I'd guess it would be more than the gun is worth, too, but its not my gun, it's not my grandfather, and it's not my money.

Getting general advice is a good thing. Making a final decision based on opinion from non-interested parties on the Internet would be stupid.

Or do you think he should just be a good boy and do what he's told without getting a professional's estimate and then making up his own mind?

Last edited:
   / Can this pistol be restored? #29  
It's only good advice if you can give him numbers to go with it. I'd guess it would be more than the gun is worth, too, but its not my gun, it's not my grandfather, and it's not my money.

Getting general advice is a good thing. Making a final decision based on opinion from non-interested parties on the Internet would be stupid.

Or do you think he should just be a good boy and do what he's told without getting a professional's estimate and then making up his own mind?

Ok, Mark, enough.

/ Can this pistol be restored? #30  
I reason I recommend you trying to start looking at it is it's free. Little bit of your time into it will give you a better idea of if you want to have a professional do anything. I don't think I would just take a car to a mechanic and tell them to do what they think is best...