Can this pistol be restored?

/ Can this pistol be restored? #31  
It's only good advice if you can give him numbers to go with it. I'd guess it would be more than the gun is worth, too, but its not my gun, it's not my grandfather, and it's not my money.

Getting general advice is a good thing. Making a final decision based on opinion from non-interested parties on the Internet would be stupid.

Or do you think he should just be a good boy and do what he's told without getting a professional's estimate and then making up his own mind?
Doing a little research, getting multiple opinions, then making up my own mind is how I operate.

/ Can this pistol be restored? #32  
Found this old pistol in a stored away container. Doesn't appear to be a particularly valuable pistol even in mint condition but given it belonged to our grandfather there's something of a sentimental attachment. I was wondering that even though it's in horrible shape is it even possible to restore it or is it beyond any kind of restoration at this point?
View attachment 529999View attachment 530000

Scrub the dickens out of the bore with a bore brush. With a tip-up it's simple to do it from the breech, so you won't ruin the crown on the barrel. If the bore is not heavily pitted, you can probably restore it as far as functional condition. If the bore is a real wreck, try 0000 steel wool with gun oil and force it through the barrel multiple times. If that doesn't polish the bore, it will be expensive to go any further.

The outside can be cleaned up with a brass bristle brush and Hoppe's #9. Brass is softer than steel and will not scratch the surface. You can polish it up some with 0000 steel wool and gun oil. Don't omit the oil.

The action may be a total wreck or in fair shape depending on how it was lubricated when it was stored. Get a schematic of the action before opening it up. Some revolvers can be surprisingly difficult to reassemble. Use a good set of gunsmith screwdrivers. If the screws are frozen, give it a few days in PB before getting radical.

As someone mentioned, if you cock it and there is play in the cylinder, do not fire it. It's a lead shaver and not safe. It may have originally been retired for just that reason. Likewise, be sure the forcing cone is intact without cracks or uneven wear.

/ Can this pistol be restored? #33  
What appears to be another of the same revolver is on auction right now at GunBroker. Starting bid is $125, there's only one day left on the auction, and no one's bid yet. That should give you some idea of the value of the gun.

Numrich Gun Parts Corporation carryies some replacement parts: Hopkins & Allen Revolvers | Gun Parts

Whether or not it's safe to shoot can only be determined by someone knowledgeable looking at it. The head of the screw that attaches the barrel to the frame is boogered up, so who knows what else has been hacked by a kitchen table gunsmith. Since it has sentimental value, ask around your local gunshops and shooting ranges for a gunsmith reference and let them take a look. It could be a fine plinker that will remind you of your grandfather every time you take it out, or as others have said, it might just be a wall hanger that, even if it disappeared in a home burglary, wouldn't represent much of a loss.

/ Can this pistol be restored? #34  
If you fully restore it, some ninny will eventually fire it.

Those old tip-up ejection revolvers were never very robust, even in .32 caliber. Top latch is the weakest point, unless a Webley, but Webley is much stronger stirrup-latch design. Webley stirrup-latch is also external so it can be inspected every time revolver is picked up.

Nor was Hopkins & Allen at the top of anyone's list for quality.

If you restore the H&A I recommend grinding down the thin firing protrusion on the hammer so it is impossible to fire. Save the ninny's eyesight.

( I have owned, fired and reloaded ammunition for one Smith & Wesson .44 Russian and several Webley top break revolvers.)

Last edited:
   / Can this pistol be restored? #35  
If you fully restore it, some ninny will eventually fire it.

Those old tip-up ejection revolvers were never very robust, even in .32 caliber. Top latch is the weakest point, unless a Webley, but Webley is much stronger stirrup-latch design. Webley stirrup-latch is also external so it can be inspected every time revolver is picked up.

Nor was Hopkins & Allen at the top of anyone's list for quality.

If you restore the H&A I recommend grinding down the thin firing protrusion on the hammer so it is impossible to fire. Save the ninny's eyesight.

( I have owned, fired and reloaded ammunition for one Smith & Wesson .44 Russian and several Webley top break revolvers.)
I would respectfully disagree with ever disabling it. He's inherited it from his granddad but turning it into a old paperweight absolutely guarantees it'll never mean anything to anyone ever again. Your son won't be interested in the old ugly paperweight that his dad had laying around, where if you restore it and shoot it, your son and Grandson will have some meaning attached to it and it can carry on.