Can you actually make a living with a LandScaping Buinsess?

/ Can you actually make a living with a LandScaping Buinsess? #31  
I can't much, except that I worked several years in the summer for a lawn guy. Three things I did learn:

1.) Have nice tee-shirts or golf shirts made up with your company name. Always wear the same color shorts/slacks with them. Always look professional. Carry business cards/ flyers; if you look professional and are doing a good job, neighbors will frequently stop to "chat" and want quotes.

2). The price of gas and the weather are the two main variables, more so than competition.

3.). This is my own: think outside the box when hiring help. As a middle-aged woman, I was repeatedly turned down by larger companies. Dave gave me a chance once day, and later repeatedly told me that I outworked any of his teen-age hires, and I was more heat tolerant. Plus people found it a lot easier to approach me to chat and ask "my husband" for an estimate.

4.). Okay, four. As a vet, you're probably well aware to this, but preventive maintenance and carrying spare everything. Down time is lost income.

5.). Jeez, five. Concentrate on high-income areas and commercial accounts.

I learned so much from Dave! There were all sort of little details, too, about getting a good finish on a lawn, trimming, blowing, doing little extras--that resulted in not just an average home-owner type look, but a good professional finish. I think that's why he was turning down jobs while his competitors fell.

(How are the chickens doing? Everyone laying now?)

I learned so much from Dave.

/ Can you actually make a living with a LandScaping Buinsess?
I can't much, except that I worked several years in the summer for a lawn guy. Three things I did learn:

1.) Have nice tee-shirts or golf shirts made up with your company name. Always wear the same color shorts/slacks with them. Always look professional. Carry business cards/ flyers; if you look professional and are doing a good job, neighbors will frequently stop to "chat" and want quotes.

2). The price of gas and the weather are the two main variables, more so than competition.

3.). This is my own: think outside the box when hiring help. As a middle-aged woman, I was repeatedly turned down by larger companies. Dave gave me a chance once day, and later repeatedly told me that I outworked any of his teen-age hires, and I was more heat tolerant. Plus people found it a lot easier to approach me to chat and ask "my husband" for an estimate.

4.). Okay, four. As a vet, you're probably well aware to this, but preventive maintenance and carrying spare everything. Down time is lost income.

5.). Jeez, five. Concentrate on high-income areas and commercial accounts.

I learned so much from Dave! There were all sort of little details, too, about getting a good finish on a lawn, trimming, blowing, doing little extras--that resulted in not just an average home-owner type look, but a good professional finish. I think that's why he was turning down jobs while his competitors fell.

(How are the chickens doing? Everyone laying now?)

I learned so much from Dave.

Susan,

Excellent points!

Actually the chickens/ducks laying is off (that or the snakes have found a new way in). we did not get a single duck egg for a couple months and they just started up again a couple days ago. The old "granny" red's are the ones laying the fart eggs, and they seem to have slowed down ALOT. we are not getting many brown eggs at all. One of them passed away last week, she was looking very old. The new batches of hens seem to be starting. We are getting a couple extra whitish or white eggs now that are not duck nor leghorn, nor our english game hen (hers are pinkish).

Thanks for asking!
David

/ Can you actually make a living with a LandScaping Buinsess? #33  
/edit - and remember if you run your own business you might have the worst boss in the world. You. Your with yourself 24 hrs/day nagging to do more and do better.
Amen to that. My boss is a jerk!

My job is never boring and I'd be bored to death mowing lawns myself. Larger lawns would just be that much more boring. Even the brush hog jobs I take are only those that others won't do. They're a PITA but they pay well. Over 95% of all of my jobs have me sitting on the tractor for most of the day, or ctl, mini-ex, etc. I never work by the hour or charge by the acre. Every single job is by written quote...it pays much better. Mowing, whether it be yards or brush hogging pastures can be done by anyone, and they'll work for peanuts. If you go after contracts its an altogether different story. If it were me, I'd find a niche and roll with it. And like others have said...GET LIABILITY INSURANCE! Just my 2 cents.