Car insurance problems

/ Car insurance problems #31  
I wish everyone was as level headed as you, Bird. Always a calming influence.

/ Car insurance problems #32  
I like Parick Duvall's acting. Maybe I should rent it someday. In 1989 I was doing other things

I like Robert Duvall, but who's Patrick Duvall?:D;)

/ Car insurance problems #33  
Now the next downside. What they will actually payout for the totalled car. It is usually less than you hope for. Sometimes much less.:mad:

We had an accident last Feb that totaled our car. The other driver was at fault and their insurance paid for the car. We had heard from several lawyers that this particular company was a pain to deal with.

So we had prepared all sorts of comparable values for our car.

They paid full value of the car. They have to pay taxes, title, etc to replace the totaled car with the same car and they did. We had not problems what so ever with them in spite of what people said.

The one part of this I learned that I do not like is that the insurance company will only pay for a rental car up to the point of writing the check for the totaled value. You might be able to negotiate a few more days of a rental but the rental is really on you. :eek::mad: How fast can you find a car and go buy one? Its going to take some time.

We got lucky in that the insurance company took there time even looking at our car so we had a couple of weeks to find a car to buy. It worked out that we had the negotiations completed by the time we got the check.

We still are not done with the insurance since med bills are still coming in but I cannot complain on bit about how they handled the totaled car issue.

Hopefully our TBNer family will have the same experience.

Later,
Dan

/ Car insurance problems #34  
Thanks BlueRiver, I've never watched that movie or the TV series.
This must be more of the line in the movie:
Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop.

If you get the book, it is explained in there also.

I like reading books more than watching movies because you can't show everything in even a small book in a movie that is only ~1.5 hours.

/ Car insurance problems #35  
When a drunk driver hit me head-on and totaled my 1986 Ranger in 1987, the insurance company paid for the rental and offered me a check before I got my new 1988 Ranger replacement that I had to special order. I refused the check until the new Ranger came in 2 months later and they paid the car rental until that time.

What I worry about is that someone will total my 1995 F250 diesel that is in perfect shape and they will try to give me $1000 for it while I could not find one of any year in as good a shape for less than $15,000.

/ Car insurance problems #36  
When a drunk driver hit me head-on and totaled my 1986 Ranger in 1987, the insurance company paid for the rental and offered me a check before I got my new 1988 Ranger replacement that I had to special order. I refused the check until the new Ranger came in 2 months later and they paid the car rental until that time.

What I worry about is that someone will total my 1995 F250 diesel that is in perfect shape and they will try to give me $1000 for it while I could not find one of any year in as good a shape for less than $15,000.

In NC the insurance company does not have to pay for the rental once they cut the check for the totaled car. OUR insurance company told us this tid bit of information. We have been very impressed with our insurance company as is one of our Doctors. Our company has been very helpful through our accident.

I too worry about my 2002 F350. Its the best vehicle I have ever owned and they don't make them this good anymore. I worry that some putz will hit me and total the truck. I have no idea what I will get when I have to replace the F350. I tried to buy a 1995 F250/350 in 1995 but there was a strike and when I needed to buy there was not trucks to buy so I ended up with a POS Chevy which was the worst vehicle I ever owned. :eek::D

Later,
Dan

/ Car insurance problems #37  
I had my car hit some years ago and the guy who hit me sued me saying I turned in front of him. A friend who was a police officer was at the scene and measured the skid marks, they were 150 feet long and went from the middle lane across another lane and ended in the driveway of the building I was pulling into. He still hit me hard enough to push the passenger side of the car in to the frame.

Well he lost in court and the judge ruled he was the one responsible for the accident, his speed was excessive and he didn't have control of the car. Later his insurance company offered what I thought was a poor settlement offer for my car. On the advice of the same judge I told them no, that I wanted them to find me a car same make and model in the same almost new condition my car had been in ( it was almost 10 years old.)

I called them every day for almost 2 weeks asking where my car was, they finally asked me what I wanted to replace the car, I gave them a $ amount and I had a check in two days.

/ Car insurance problems #38  
I like Robert Duvall, but who's Patrick Duvall?:D;)

Bird, I don't know who Patrick Duvall is or how he got into my post :D I do like Robert Duvall's acting.
Dave.

/ Car insurance problems #39  
If you get the book, it is explained in there also.

I like reading books more than watching movies because you can't show everything in even a small book in a movie that is only ~1.5 hours.

Oh so true. The Godfather I is a prime example of that. This being a Western, it probably has great backdrop scenery? - it's the only way I get Out West :D
Dave.

/ Car insurance problems #40  
Perhaps I am just old fashioned, well, make that definately old fashioned but I like to do a lot of my business person to person. That goes for my insurance. I have everything through Farm Bureau. I may pay a bit more for say my wife's car but they cover items that others will not. I can either stop by the local office or call and I know with whom I am conversing.

Here in KY, you need proof of insurance before you can register a vehicle. A minor inconvieniance sometimes but I think that it is a good idea.

Anyway, glad to hear that it all worked out and that no one was hurt.