Carry low

/ Carry low #11  
Filled tires are probably also recommended in the user manual for your loader or tractor. They do make for a stiffer ride, and can't be easily unloaded when you want to run light, but if you usually have the loader mounted anyway...
Glad you're okay. Definately a "pucker" time... Get your rear tires loaded. I have RimGuard in mine. One time install, not in the way. Install and forget.

/ Carry low
Maybe take smaller bites until you can add enough rear weight. Could you grade the hump down?
First thing I did was grab my other tractor with the rear blade and flatted the whole area. There's a lot of material to move so I admit I'm slightly rushed. Every bucket I take, the back end is light and it's basically a balancing game.

Glad you're okay. Definately a "pucker" time... Get your rear tires loaded. I have RimGuard in mine. One time install, not in the way. Install and forget.
What is rimguard? I have 2 tractors with loaded tires and, while it's been 40 years, they're now leaking and the rims are rusting.

/ Carry low #13  
RimGuard is a brand of beet juice.

Anytime I'm carrying something that feels like I'm pushing the stability envelope, I keep my hand on the joystick. If I need to hit the panic button, I can slam the joystick up into the float position in a hurry. Regardless of what happens next, getting that load headed down to the ground is my best bet for the situation turning out ok.

and . . . I did recently buy a ballast box for this very reason. When loading hay bales up high with a grapple my tractor could get light in the rear. I was carrying around a wide heavy implement on the rear for stability, but I believe the ballast box will do the job without being so unwieldy. I do also have my rear tires filled with beet juice (RimGuard) and moved the tire rims to the widest configuration.

Last edited:
   / Carry low #14  
Even with the brush hog on, I have learned to always keep a full bucket as low as possible.
.... and when you know your pushing the limits, hand on the loader valve full time and ready to lower it quickly. As soon as the bucket hits the ground your "event" is over.
I got pretty good with the smaller tractors that I've had driving on 3 wheels IF the terrain allowed it. 😮
As Jay described, a little bump or dip in the terrain can overcome the tiny balance margin in your favor that keeps all 4 tires on the ground. 👍

/ Carry low #15  
Those little humps will dump you so easily because they sneak up on you . I leave the backhoe on mine and it’s stable as a rock without loaded tires . Even a mower deck adds a big dose of stability.

/ Carry low #16  
What is rimguard? I have 2 tractors with loaded tires and, while it's been 40 years, they're now leaking and the rims are rusting.
There are many newer options that will not rust out your rims, like the old calcium chloride did. Rimguard is just one name brand of a class of "bio ballasts", essentially using high-density fluids with low freezing points, in place of calcium chloride. Others use stuff like antifreeze or windshield wiper fluid, as they won't freeze either, but they have weight density too low to be very effective in many applications.

/ Carry low
There are many newer options that will not rust out your rims, like the old calcium chloride did. Rimguard is just one name brand of a class of "bio ballasts", essentially using high-density fluids with low freezing points, in place of calcium chloride. Others use stuff like antifreeze or windshield wiper fluid, as they won't freeze either, but they have weight density too low to be very effective in many applications.
How do you add it? Is there a kit? My tires are very big, but they're due for a tubing.

/ Carry low #18  
I have (3) 68 lb weights on each rear tire, my logging winch (600 lbs+-) and I'm still sometimes light in the rear.

One thing which I have not seen mentioned; if you have a counterweight on back and you drop it to the ground, you no longer have a counterweight.
Don't ask me how I know that.

/ Carry low #19  
How do you add it? Is there a kit? My tires are very big, but they're due for a tubing.
You can DIY it, YouTube is your friend on that. But honestly, this is one job that's just easier and cheaper to leave to the dealer. My dealer has a truck outfitting for this job, and they can drive to the customer and do the job in 30 minutes.

Worst case, your dealer does zero ag work and only has stationary equipment, you put your machine on a trailer and haul it to the dealer. They can do the job right on the trailer.

My dealer does not carry RimGuard brand, but they carry another generic bioballast (also beet juice) which has slightly higher weight density than RimGuard-brand ballast.

/ Carry low
You can DIY it, YouTube is your friend on that. But honestly, this is one job that's just easier and cheaper to leave to the dealer. My dealer has a truck outfitting for this job, and they can drive to the customer and do the job in 30 minutes.

Worst case, your dealer does zero ag work and only has stationary equipment, you put your machine on a trailer and haul it to the dealer. They can do the job right on the trailer.

My dealer does not carry RimGuard brand, but they carry another generic bioballast (also beet juice) which has slightly higher weight density than RimGuard-brand ballast.
Problem with that is I don't have a dealer. There's no dealer close. I do all my own work, I buy my stuff off craigslist, maintenance, modifications, enhancements, replacements.