Carry permit. Would traffic stop make police be more cautious? yea or nay?

/ Carry permit. Would traffic stop make police be more cautious? yea or nay? #11  
Keep your carry permit and your drivers license together. Hand the officer both at the same time. Try not to say "gun" etc just in case they or their partner mishear something. Hands in plain sight and others tips as offered above. No need to have a action or comment misinterpreted.

/ Carry permit. Would traffic stop make police be more cautious? yea or nay? #12  
   / Carry permit. Would traffic stop make police be more cautious? yea or nay? #13  
We were told in our class to tell the officer that you have a carry permit and you are armed and ask how he want to proceed. We are not required to tell the officer in IL unless he ask, but most people either tell the officer or if they already have their license out just hand it to the officer. Also check of Masaad Ayoob, he has a lot of good information and what to do.

/ Carry permit. Would traffic stop make police be more cautious? yea or nay? #14  
Some cops, especially young ones in metro areas, may overreact. They should not, they should be smart enough to realize that the bad guys don't have licenses and won't tell them, hence they should assume everyone is armed. A CHL licensee is more likely to be law abiding and trustworthy than someone who doesn't inform but may be armed illegally.

Years ago, long before CHL in this state, I was pulled over for speeding. The cop must have been a rookie, he was so nervous that he would probably have pulled his gun if I had blinked. He was scary. I cannot imagine the results if I had told him I had a gun :(

The best thing anyone can do is follow LEO instruction and inform the officer they have a CWP and either have a weapon or not at the time being pulled over.

I would not inform if I was in a state that did not require it. If a cop is not used to hearing "I have a gun", he may react negatively.

OTOH, the few times I have been pulled over while armed, the cops have been friendly and nice when I informed. Both times I was only given a warning.

/ Carry permit. Would traffic stop make police be more cautious? yea or nay? #15  
Keep your carry permit and your drivers license together. Hand the officer both at the same time. Try not to say "gun" etc just in case they or their partner mishear something. Hands in plain sight and others tips as offered above. No need to have a action or comment misinterpreted.

Just handing over the license does not meet the legal requirement in some states, such as Ohio. All that does is let them know you have a license, does not tell them that you are armed. Ohio requires that you notify that you are armed. Most of the time, they do not ask to see the CHL, you only have to show it if asked.

/ Carry permit. Would traffic stop make police be more cautious? yea or nay? #16  
i have had a ccw since 21 as well. i also have been pulled over 20+ times. I have never identified as having a ccw. Their systems at least in PA,MA,NY and NJ have no record of your ccw permit. i have only randomly been asked if there are guns in the car. sometimes there have been. they simply ask where they are and move on. Cops care more about your attitude then anything else.

Pretty sure I wouldn't want to be caught with a gun in my car in MA, NY or NJ. Whether I had a carry permit in my state or not.

/ Carry permit. Would traffic stop make police be more cautious? yea or nay? #17  
Pretty sure I wouldn't want to be caught with a gun in my car in MA, NY or NJ. Whether I had a carry permit in my state or not.

I'm with you. In theory, you'd be protected by the Firearm Owners Protection Act, but the hassles would be enormous. And you'd probably never get your firearm back.

/ Carry permit. Would traffic stop make police be more cautious? yea or nay? #18  
Not a traffic stop, but a little more intimidating when approached by a US Coast Guard vessel with 5 crew on board and the CG Cutter a few hundred yards away.

This summer while fishing in an offshore tournament, we were boarded by the US Coast Guard. My weapon was holstered in a backpack in a lower cabin. As soon as the CO boarded, I informed him of having a weapon on board. He asked if anyone was down below and to show him where the weapon was located. I brought him there and on the way told him there was one in the chamber, safety was on and magazine was full. He cleared the weapon and laid the mag and round on the bunk and held onto the gun.

There was one CO and 2 crew that boarded the boat and all were very nice. It was just a routine boarding where they wanted to insure all the paperwork was in order, had all the required USCG offshore safety gear, and asked if we had any catches in the fish boxes. Upon leaving they thanked us for our cooperation and me for informing them up front about a weapon on board.

As others have mentioned, being up front and warning any officer of having a weapon in/on your possession will usually result in the best outcome.

/ Carry permit. Would traffic stop make police be more cautious? yea or nay? #19  
I live in Commie NY. We don't have to notify an officer if we're armed during a traffic stop. I never do, unless I'm asked to exit the vehicle. That has only happened once when I argued that my license plate lights were NOT out. (I was correct.)

Before exiting my vehicle I notified the officer, a county sheriff, that I have a legally concealed firearm and of it's location on my person. He thanked me and made sure he kept an eye on me as he tried showing me my plate lights being out. I showed him that they were in fact illuminated, and that it appeared that his bright lights made it look like they were out. He shut off his lights which proved me correct, smiled, apologized for the hassle, thanked me for informing him of my firearm and off I went.

He did not ask to see my permit, he did not ask to take the weapon (holstered at 4:00 IWB), just made sure I didn't get fidgety. I made direct eye contact when speaking with him and was not nervous. I also made sure I kept my hands VERY clear of my firearm. I really had an itch behind the holster, but that could have been very bad if I had gone to scratch it!

/ Carry permit. Would traffic stop make police be more cautious? yea or nay? #20  
Of all the police videos I have seen, the bad guys who get shot are either brandishing/firing a gun, or are openly resisting arrest, combative, not following orders and then make some move that is construed as life threatening. Both types of individuals are idiots and it shouldn't be a surprise when they get their *** shot off...and then the press blame the police when it's the perp's fault.. A compliant individual who follows their orders willingly and is still shot has basically been murdered.