Carry permit. Would traffic stop make police be more cautious? yea or nay?

/ Carry permit. Would traffic stop make police be more cautious? yea or nay? #21  
Well I had a license but rarely carried but was stopped twice where the LEO's drew their guns on me. (for no reason INMHO)
Once was when I had snow covering my tags and I pulled over a little further than he liked (very slow with flashers to indicate I was doing so)
He came at me with gun half drawn.
My comment to the LEO was that if the plows has done their job correctly the snow would not have been sucked up and covered my tags!
He let me go, no ticket.

Another time they claimed I was over 100 KMPH and came from both sides with guns drawn and pointing at me.
I had flashers lit up to indicate that I was complying (so I thought) as I slowed down and pulled over.
Scared the SH-T out of me! (and this is Canada and not gun happy USA, and 15 years ago)
They tagged me for speeding (had to justify their actions I guess) but in court I won without a fine!

/ Carry permit. Would traffic stop make police be more cautious? yea or nay? #22  
I haven't been stopped by LEO since 1988. And have had only 2 traffic violations since I started driving in 1968. If I ever get stopped again, I hope I keep my cool because things have changed.

/ Carry permit. Would traffic stop make police be more cautious? yea or nay? #23  
I'm with you. In theory, you'd be protected by the Firearm Owners Protection Act, but the hassles would be enormous. And you'd probably never get your firearm back.

The FOPA does not give you permission to carry concealed, or even inside the vehicle in reach. State laws apply there, and people have gone to prison for being in the wrong state.

Would traffic stop make police be more cautious?

I think that's going to entirely depend on the local climate (are LEOs there anti-gun, as is typical in NJ, NYC, etc.) or not? Has there been a recent cop shooting? Is the officer a rookie? Or just a coward? Or a wannabe storm trooper? Or a decent guy?

Best thing is to know the laws where you are, and obey them. Ohio has been mentioned as a state where you must announce. Other states do not require this.

Clear communication, compliance with the law and with the officer, and a good attitude will avoid almost all problems.

/ Carry permit. Would traffic stop make police be more cautious? yea or nay? #24  
In VA if you have a concealed carry permit, an ID check discloses that information. Running the tags will also disclose such information regarding the registered owner.

/ Carry permit. Would traffic stop make police be more cautious? yea or nay? #25  
here , we have no duty to inform LEO of a weapon in the vehicle unless specifically asked if I have a gun. We are not required to produce a permit. It is up to LEO to prove we don't have a permit.
If I'm the driver of the vehicle and stopped , I am only required to produce a DL.
If I'm a passenger, I'm required to produce nothing

/ Carry permit. Would traffic stop make police be more cautious? yea or nay? #26  
The FOPA does not give you permission to carry concealed, or even inside the vehicle in reach. State laws apply there, and people have gone to prison for being in the wrong state.

I think that's going to entirely depend on the local climate (are LEOs there anti-gun, as is typical in NJ, NYC, etc.) or not? Has there been a recent cop shooting? Is the officer a rookie? Or just a coward? Or a wannabe storm trooper? Or a decent guy?

Best thing is to know the laws where you are, and obey them. Ohio has been mentioned as a state where you must announce. Other states do not require this.

Clear communication, compliance with the law and with the officer, and a good attitude will avoid almost all problems.

Thanks; good to know this. Hopefully at some time in the future we'll get a national concealed carry law.

/ Carry permit. Would traffic stop make police be more cautious? yea or nay? #27  
Laws or not I choose to show my carry permit and inform the officer that I have a weapon and where it is located. What happens after that is up to him. I do this out of respect to the Officer.

/ Carry permit. Would traffic stop make police be more cautious? yea or nay? #28  
Thanks; good to know this. Hopefully at some time in the future we'll get a national concealed carry law.

Amen to that! I know folks who literally have 3-5 different CCWs because some states recognize one but not others.
It's crazy that something it 100% legal in one state is a felony in another. And because about everything these days requires a state "license"- from doctor to architect to barber and everything in between- this could radically change someone's life. Try getting (or keeping) any of the above licenses with a felony on your record. Btw in CA (my home state) if you were to be found with say a loaded 15 round mag (stock size) in a Glock that is 15 felony charges. Probably reduced but that is the law as written. Then in Idaho that is 100% legal. One mistake or tired moment driving from place to place and boom- game over. Sad

/ Carry permit. Would traffic stop make police be more cautious? yea or nay? #29  
There is a slight difference between a "Good Attitude" and a Fake one, that pleases the officer. Whatever works to get you on your way unscathed..

/ Carry permit. Would traffic stop make police be more cautious? yea or nay? #30  
Laws or not I choose to show my carry permit and inform the officer that I have a weapon and where it is located. What happens after that is up to him. I do this out of respect to the Officer.

That respect goes both ways....would you also give up your right to for them to search your vehicle without cause, or warrant ?
Not me. You give up your rights now, later they will take your rights away. Use them or lose them