Carrying capacity

/ Carrying capacity #1  

yanmars

Platinum Member
I have a chance to get a Quality Steel 18 foot tandem axle car trailer with winch. I think made in Decatur, IN. It has a steel deck. The axles are both rated at 3500 each for a total of 7000 pounds. I think the trailer with winch could be near 2000 pounds. I would like to carry my 45HP Mahindra 4510 cab tractor, loader and 6 foot Bush Hog brand mower. The tractor combo would go near 7400 pounds. Would this be overloading the same?
I never travel too fast and generally not more than 20 miles. The trailer is not a tilt but has steel ramps. Would they stand the weight?

/ Carrying capacity #2  
I have a chance to get a Quality Steel 18 foot tandem axle car trailer with winch. I think made in Decatur, IN. It has a steel deck. The axles are both rated at 3500 each for a total of 7000 pounds. I think the trailer with winch could be near 2000 pounds. I would like to carry my 45HP Mahindra 4510 cab tractor, loader and 6 foot Bush Hog brand mower. The tractor combo would go near 7400 pounds. Would this be overloading the same?
I never travel too fast and generally not more than 20 miles. The trailer is not a tilt but has steel ramps. Would they stand the weight?
Do yourself a favor and get you a trailer with at least 2-7k axles and a minimum of 20' long , you will never hear someone say "I wish my trailer would haul less" and it's a huge benefit to have a little wiggle room on the length of your trailer to get your tractor in the sweet spot where you have a little tongue weight so it pulls good, there is a better than average chance that your tractor with FEL and bush hog will hang off of an 18' trailer a little much, measure it. But you could haul your rig on it, would it be comfortable? I doubt it.

Last edited:
   / Carrying capacity #3  
Your trailer will be too
Lite for your tractor I'm afraid.

It would look probably haul it, just pushing it past safe.

/ Carrying capacity #4  
I regret the day I bought a 18’ 7k pound trailer that weighs 2500 pounds back in 2003.

Truthfully it 4500 pounds of payload.

The other issue is it’s to short to really position the load for proper tow weight with equipment (flail mower which is way shorter than your bush hog) and tractor.

That said I have hauled way more than 4.5k pounds.

think a 20’, 22’ or even 24’ would be fine. At least 6k axles if not 7k.

However, on the cheap you could get 5200 pound axles.

My setup with my TC45 w/ loader and Ford 917 flail.

Tractor weight w/ loader, bucket & flail: 6520 lbs.

Note I run load range E tires and trailer has 5” frame rails.

Attachments

• IMG_2691.jpeg
    IMG_2691.jpeg
    1,018.5 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_2689.jpeg
    IMG_2689.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 56
Last edited:
   / Carrying capacity #5  
With tongue weight, you'd probably technically not be overloading the axles. You'd certainly be on the edge though. As far as the ramps, we have no way of knowing without more information. What size and shape of steel? Tube? Channel? How long are they? How are they constructed. It makes a big difference.

/ Carrying capacity #6  
Make sure you have rear jacks/supports installed if you're planning on driving 7k+ up ramps on a 2k trailer, especially if you're on an incline and/or have ramps designed for a 5k payload. There are several humorous /horrifying pics/videos in the pics of people towing/hauling wrong thread of what happens when you don't

/ Carrying capacity #7  
I regret the day I bought a 18’ 7k pound trailer that weighs 2500 pounds back in 2003.

Truthfully it 4500 pounds of payload.

The other issue is it’s to short to really position the load for proper tow weight with equipment (flail mower which is way shorter than your bush hog) and tractor.

That said I have hauled way more than 4.5k pounds.

think a 20’, 22’ or even 24’ would be fine. At least 6k axles if not 7k.

However, on the cheap you could get 5200 pound axles.

My setup with my TC45 w/ loader and Ford 917 flail.

Tractor weight w/ loader, bucket & flail: 6520 lbs.

Note I run load range E tires and trailer has 5” frame rails.
I have a 20’ trailer with 5,200# axles. It hauls my MX nicely. But I wouldn’t go any shorter or lighter weight rating.

/ Carrying capacity #8  
I also agree with @dieselscout80 it will be too short.

That trailer is too short for my small subcompact (SA425) and a bush hog.

I think you will regret that decision.

/ Carrying capacity #9  
You will be another person that I see pulling a trailer with the camber gone from the axles because they have been overloaded to the point that the tube is bent. And something that needs to be looked at hard is how close are the axle tubes to the trailer deck since some trailers will allow the center of the axle to contact the deck before the springs are fully compressed causing the same effect as putting a press in the middle and pulling on both ends.

/ Carrying capacity #10  
For a similar tractor weight I ended up with a 12k trailer, and considered that a minimum capacity trailer.