Case 310G Dozer - Rebuild/Repair Project and Questions

/ Case 310G Dozer - Rebuild/Repair Project and Questions #31  
Sounds like you have a solid plan. Wish I could help on the paint job, all my experience is with houses. I do believe you get what you pay for in paint, and that it's always smart to ask for advice from the people that sell paint for a living on what works best for what you are wanting to do. I would go to an automotive paint store, not a home paint store, and see what they recomend.

/ Case 310G Dozer - Rebuild/Repair Project and Questions
Well, I've got all the parts at various shops and starting to get some results in.

Bad news on the radiator - the top tank is pretty much shot, and the core is not much better. The shop said that they could patch it but would't guarantee that it would hold for long once it got to being used.

The only replacements I've found look like they run into the $1,500 range. However, there are a ton of radiators that were used in different machines that used the 188 engine. I'm going to see if any of those might fit as I had a pretty good amount of room under the hood with the old radiator.

Anybody have any experience with universal radiators with electric fans? I was thinking of maybe going that way, but I have no idea how to go about sizing a radiator. I would love to hear any advice on that subject.

Thanks again.

/ Case 310G Dozer - Rebuild/Repair Project and Questions #33  
Well, I've got all the parts at various shops and starting to get some results in.

Bad news on the radiator - the top tank is pretty much shot, and the core is not much better. The shop said that they could patch it but would't guarantee that it would hold for long once it got to being used.

The only replacements I've found look like they run into the $1,500 range. However, there are a ton of radiators that were used in different machines that used the 188 engine. I'm going to see if any of those might fit as I had a pretty good amount of room under the hood with the old radiator.

Anybody have any experience with universal radiators with electric fans? I was thinking of maybe going that way, but I have no idea how to go about sizing a radiator. I would love to hear any advice on that subject.

Thanks again.

If you plan on actually working the machine, FORGET about an electric fan.

Just my :2cents:

/ Case 310G Dozer - Rebuild/Repair Project and Questions #34  
When I needed a new fan for my Case 1550 dozer, the parts guy said that they didn't carry it any longer. But he did spend a lot of time looking for something off of a different machine with the same engine to see if he could find something that would work. After a few weeks, he gave up. There was a wheel loader that was kind of close, but not close enough.

Eventually I found a dismantler that had what I needed. I was nervous paying them so much money for it, but it arrived strapped to a wooden pallet in excellent condition.

I've contacted the local Case industrial place and he is seeing what he can find. He said he thought that some other radiators would fit it if I could do some fabrication for the mounts and re-mount the shroud, but he wasn't sure which. I'm going to go pick my old radiator up and and mount it and the cowl back on the frame and take some measurements and see what I can find that might fit.

Thanks for the help.

/ Case 310G Dozer - Rebuild/Repair Project and Questions #36  
Sounds like you have a solid plan. Wish I could help on the paint job, all my experience is with houses. I do believe you get what you pay for in paint, and that it's always smart to ask for advice from the people that sell paint for a living on what works best for what you are wanting to do. I would go to an automotive paint store, not a home paint store, and see what they recomend.

I have found that CAT paint is excellent, and it is not at all expensive.
I believe that it is made for CAT, by Sherwin Williams.

I've made some progress since my last update -
1. Injection pump and injectors are back from rebuild and should be ready to be installed
2. The crankshaft was too damaged to be repaired, so I picked up a new replacemnt
3. Rebuild kit has arrived and I'm going to be taking it to the machinist shortly. He is going to pull the old sleeves and make sure that portion of the block is okay and then install the new sleeves for me. He is also doing the valve job on the head.
4. Some other miscellaneous parts have arrived.

Hopefully should be getting everything back together in the next month or too.

Good luck and take care.