Case 580 Hydraulic Cylinder seal replacement

/ Case 580 Hydraulic Cylinder seal replacement #21  
Bill, I re-read your post and realized I might have answered the wrong question. I rebuilt 8 cylinders on my 580 last month. So far, all of my cylinders used an internal wiper (see attached photo) like the one on the left. Some of the re-build kits I bought came with both types while others came with one type and some came with the other. I had to buy 3 additional wipers separately. If yours uses the type on the left, it should snap into the grove with the thin edge almost flush with the outer edge of the gland. After I finished, someone told me I could have cut the other type to where is would fit in the grove and it would have worked on the internal seal. I don't know if this will work or not; didn't try it. Tommy

My kit came with the type on the left but it doesn't appear to fit in the gland nut.
Does it go inbetween the two seals or on the piston side of the black gland nut seal.
Thanks.

/ Case 580 Hydraulic Cylinder seal replacement
It goes on the opposite end from the external wiper and seal. There should be a 1/2" wide grove about 1/16" deep inside the gland. One of the eight cylinders I rebuilt had no place to use an internal wiper but it was on a mega-large cylinder. I assume there was not an old one to remove. Tommy

By the time I got around to buying my last kits, I had discovered http://www.hydrapakseals.com. Their prices were great (35-40% off) and delivery in just a few days. Great to deal with. Tommy

/ Case 580 Hydraulic Cylinder seal replacement #25  
Not trying to hijack but since it's the same subject....how hard is it to get the cylinder gland broke loose?
This is on a Case 580K backhoe.
I was at my place a week ago and noticed my bucket cylinder rod wiper is toast. Should have noticed this before I bought it. A few others, although not as bad need attention.
IMG0507-M.jpg

Will this spanner get the gland loose?
Gland nut spanner on Amazon
I have a parts book but not a service manual.
Exploring new territory by tackling this job although I did rebuild some pneumatic cylinders at my old job 25 years ago. I didn't know what i was doing then either.

/ Case 580 Hydraulic Cylinder seal replacement #26  
be prepared to put enough force equivalent of a 3-5 ft bar on it.....may need some heat also (acetylene torch)....not too much

Don't forget to take out that lock screw too

The bucket was one of the ones I did last month on my 580. The head of the bolt needed a 1 1/2" socket. Some of mine were easy and I was able to get them off with a 3/4" breaker bar with a 3 1/2 foot pipe as "wdchyd" said. However, I ended up going to Harbor Freight and buying a 1" impact wrench and socket set. Depending on who put it together, it could take as much as 600-700 ft lbs of force. If you haven't done one before, let me know and I'll make a few more suggestions for your preparation. Tom

/ Case 580 Hydraulic Cylinder seal replacement #28  
The only thing Tommytee with an impact wrench is doing it by hand (leverage) allows you to guage how much force you'll need to reinstall piston bolt......with an impact wrench you lose that ability to guage (approx) the torque.....

And if you retighten with loctite and impact wrench DO NOT run the bolt all the way in with the impact wrench from loose......the loctite may cure from the quick spinning and not snug the piston down tight......if you do use the air-impact wrench to retorque, then tighten bolt by hand first to seat the bolt first.....then torque with the air-wrench.....

/ Case 580 Hydraulic Cylinder seal replacement #29  
Not trying to hijack but since it's the same subject....how hard is it to get the cylinder gland broke loose?
This is on a Case 580K backhoe.
I was at my place a week ago and noticed my bucket cylinder rod wiper is toast. Should have noticed this before I bought it. A few others, although not as bad need attention.
IMG0507-M.jpg

Will this spanner get the gland loose?
Gland nut spanner on Amazon
I have a parts book but not a service manual.
Exploring new territory by tackling this job although I did rebuild some pneumatic cylinders at my old job 25 years ago. I didn't know what i was doing then either.

If the gland doesn't budge with the gland wrench, then get an air-impact hammer ( Redirect Notice ) and while someone else is hanging on the pipe/gland wrench use the flat chisel and zap the gland head (using it parrallel to the chrome rod)....be carefull not to hit the chrome rod or crush the seal area at the wiper......

the vibration of the air-hammer will help loosen up the gland cuz it is on tight too.....:thumbsup:

/ Case 580 Hydraulic Cylinder seal replacement #30  
I have the 1-1/2" impact socket from some other task I originally bought it for. I also have a pneumatic impact. One of those tools I thought I never needed but now find it handy to own. Hopefully before the end of the year I can get a gland wrench. It might be easier to remove the cylinder and work on this at home.